RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jape again

Waterloo Cup

There is nothing quite as cut-throat as the Waterloo Cup.**

Four heats at four different tracks and you can race in one only. Finish one or two and you can go on to the final at Manukau on 21 September - the Lochinvar Marlow Waterloo Cup.

Today it's the turn of the Waikato Greyhounds and most will be looking to Blitzing Mayhem to continue on its winning way coming out of box 2. But only death and taxes are certainties in this game so some will no doubt plump for Jannik in the red rug or maybe Lochinvar Maui from the 8.

Race 11 at 2.57pm at Cambridge Raceway.

This evening let us move on to 5.58pm and look at race 6 at Addington Raceway. 1st and 2nd only to go through. There are going to be some unlucky runners.

Will Fast Archer run as fast over the first 100 or so metres as he did last week? Can Dream Collector get enough "clear air" to run it down? Or will any one of the other 6 capable greyhounds step up knowing there is a trip to the north island up for grabs?

** The Waterloo Cup is far and away NZ's oldest greyhound trophy. It was originally a coursing event with a live hare and this was first staged at Oamaru 136 years ago. Over the years it was held at a variety of different venues including Temuka, Dunedin, Palmerston North, Taranaki and Franklin. The first Auckland venue was at Potter's Park (aka Alexandra Park today). That was in 1912.

In those early days the result of the event was keenly awaited by many nationally; so much so that results were immediately dispatched by pigeons to newspapers throughout the country.

In 1921 twelve Australian chasers crossed the Tasman to take part. The last greyhound to win the coursing version of the Waterloo Cup was Roccaneri in 1954 at Jack Hannon's park in Huapai, the government having banned coursing.

When the WC was resurrected in 1971 it was a maiden sprint affair - 325 yards at the old Kumeu Raceway. In 1976 it was held at Mt Smart but still a sprint over 330 metres.

From Mt Smart to Claudelands Raceway to the Manukau Sports Bowl in 1990.

The current format was adopted in 1996 and the first winner of the then $12,000 Group One Waterloo Cup was Avalon Star trained by none other than the master,Ray Adcock, who recently celebrated his 80th birthday.

P.S. No, I wasn't there for any of this. Well, not in the 1800s anyway. No, I just happened to come across an article by Peter Fenemor which appeared in the August 2000 edition of the NZ Greyhound. Pete. in turn, acknowledged the debt he owed to well-known greyhound identity,Terry Knight. Terry, who passed away in 1998, had a lot to do with the re-establishing of the Waterloo Cup and he kept meticulous records of its history.

Another renewal begins this afternoon. Good luck to all hopefuls.

Hi Jape

This is a race that holds special to me - Won it in  2008 with Magic Spike and it was my first Group 1 winner (and Steve and Kathy's First Grp 1 as well)

Was lucky enough to win it again last year with Piggy Back and that particular trophy sits atop of the mantle piece

Should be a cracking series this year with each of the heats containing Group class chasers

With the Waterloo Cup being first run at Oamaru wouldn't it make more sense to have another heat down in the south at Forbury or Southland?

I think it's a bit unfair to have 3 heats up north and only 1 in the whole South Island where the biggest dog population is?

Is there any chance this could be looked at in the future?

I like the fact that we've got some of NZ best greyhounds going around in 1 race sure makes it a great betting race. Has the final always been in Auckland? It would be a fairer option to share the final around the 4 clubs

Personally I can't wait for the chance to get to see Dream Collector in the flesh at the Auckland track next Sunday, wasn't going to nom but I'm most certainly going to now! I really hope the Auckland Greyhound club go hard and promote the Waterloo cup final and inparticular that DC is coming to Akl. I've heard alot of people talking about this dog in pubs etc, people especially mention a race where apparantly DC hurdled another dog and still won. This is a fantastic chance to pack out the Manukau stadium so hopefully Akl club teams up with the TAB and really promotes this.

Totally agree Slim, Il try and get there for sure.

If we cant breed them (i think we a re doing a v good job, Above all is another example), or entice them to come over with the prizemoney on offer (im sure if it was more then aus dogs would make the treck across), then we import the dodgy ones because our FOL works....and get the dogs of his calibre here racing and keeps them racing. Imports like him are an asset to our industry, and lets hope he may even go to stud, as he is quite possibly the fastest dog we have seen here for a while....he must trial TR on a regular basis.

I like the fact that we've got some of NZ best greyhounds going around in 1 race sure makes it a great betting race.

Now with the field out for the final, I think it's a bit sad that only two NZ bred dogs have made it in.

Regardless, it'll be awesome to watch.

As a punter in this one, box speed & track knowledge should prove to be gold and I'll be backing around that.

Now with the field out for the final, I think it's a bit sad that only two NZ bred dogs have made it in.

As a punter in this one, box speed & track knowledge should prove to be gold and I'll be backing around that.

I see where you're coming from Yankiwi but just a few years back, we would have been lucky if one NZ bred dog made it so I think we're making progress.  

I can see a Kiwi bred dog winning final. I refer to Blitzing Mayhem. Lady Shambi for runnerup.

I can see a Kiwi bred dog winning final. I refer to Blitzing Mayhem. Lady Shambi for runnerup.

I think your right with a kiwi bred winning it but I think it will be Lady Shambi. If the final was at Cambridge I'd agree with Blitzing Mayhem. Lady Shambi is turning out to be the next "Queen of Manakau" which is a title previously held by the great Have A Yap. The Auckland track will suit Dream Collectors running style to a tee so he's my pick for the quinella, either way it's going to be a great race and can't wait! 

Mind you in saying Lady Shambi is my pick to win it I won't be picking her if she draws inside Jannick! This dog has the potential to change the outcome of this race as he's a deadset railer who hook's hard hard left, and he jumps!

Mind you in saying Lady Shambi is my pick to win it I won't be picking her if she draws inside Jannick! This dog has the potential to change the outcome of this race as he's a deadset railer who hook's hard hard left, and he jumps!

The field was set yesterday.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11393/90741/field-detail.aspx

Im going dream collector, thrilling butcha quinella, lady shambi will have to be on her game to out jump jannik without getting hit early and blitzing mayhem does not want to be caught up in an early battle with mammy brown, as this dog has the early pace and is just as bad (if not worse) railer as jannik.

I think your right with a kiwi bred winning it but I think it will be Lady Shambi. If the final was at Cambridge I'd agree with Blitzing Mayhem. Lady Shambi is turning out to be the next "Queen of Manakau" which is a title previously held by the great Have A Yap. The Auckland track will suit Dream Collectors running style to a tee so he's my pick for the quinella, either way it's going to be a great race and can't wait! 

Slim, is Lady Shambi a NZ bred, i was under the impression it is an Aussie. I stand corrected.

Can't see Dream Collector or Fast Archer winning. Pretty much anything else could win.

What odds you willing to give me on DC then dusty? Massive call saying he can't win for a dog that can run 29.90 from behind at Addington! Personally I don't think we've seen the best of him yet either.

Have to agree with you reillym, im writing of the cd dogs as they are the weakest in this field, theres so much high pace in the race that i think this race has been set up perfectly for him as the front runners will most likely check themselves out of it and dream collector and butcha could take control of this race because of that