RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
abit roughhouse

Small Club Assoc. Not Happy with Sargent, Stiassy, Sutherland

Tuesday, 8 June, 2010 - 12:30

The actions of key figures in the NZ Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) and the NZ Racing Board are being challenged by small racing clubs.

The Small Clubs Association chairman Geoff Humphries says meeting minutes obtained under an Official Information Act request show the 'One Racing Taskforce' had a secret agenda of closing venues against the wishes of the clubs concerned.

"Taskforce minutes show the Avondale, Dargaville and Manukau Greyhounds tracks were marked for closure and sale even while NZTR chairman Guy Sargent was publicly denying an agenda to close the clubs," he says.

Mr Humphries said that in 2009 the NZTR produced a 'Concept Calendar" which listed 17 venues for closure and kept it secret from the clubs until it was leaked.

"Small clubs feel the NZTR was less than forthcoming at their AGM about their agenda to rationalise small venues," he says.

"NZTR even went as far as getting a legal opinion from Bell Gully on how to get their hands on the cash from the sale of clubs which were to be refused race allocations at their own courses.

"It's time to shine a light on the actions of Mr Sargent, Racing Board chairperson Michael Stiassny and NZTR nominee to the Racing Board Alastair Sutherland," he says.

"If they have deliberately misinformed the clubs they need to go."

from: http://www.voxy.co.nz/sport/time-shine-light-racing-leaders/5/51282

the racing minister surely

..he's alReady 'Entered'..and fully supports all activities thusfar., indeed..this is as much 'His puppy'..as it is of those double-agents.

..the "shelving" of OneRACING..will find it's mimic soldforth..but steamrolled through...while a macro gathering of the Australasian fourth estate witness it

..there will be no resignations..as the minister intends

the racing minister surely

Carter will go along with anything.This guy has no passion or interests in the industry,he just wanted a ministerial position that had all the govt perks attached.When labour were in and gave Peters the job,Nationals candidate was Tisch from the Waikato,the answer for the racing industry.Once national elected,give the job to some long standing member they can't fit in anywhere else with a perk.If it's true what the small club spokesman says,the top heads of NZTR should roll immediately.

..he's alReady 'Entered'..and fully supports all activities thusfar., indeed..this is as much 'His puppy'..as it is of those double-agents.

..the "shelving" of OneRACING..will find it's mimic soldforth..but steamrolled through...while a macro gathering of the Australasian fourth estate witness it

..there will be no resignations..as the minister intends(that)

..and so the time's come for 'witholding product'...in some measured or calculating way., . .this is the 'Only' coersion available to 'demand' the resignations of ANY involved in integrity flouts recently., if we don't get ALL of 'the heads'...then you can expect their clandestine charter flouts to continue...if there's still clusterings of 'whales' and elite cliques marionetting them as Has been the case.

..if the Minister won't co-operate., HE Goes T O O !

..it's Time under the auspices...of our past-us-onbye Establishers of all that our great industry of thoroughbreds Is today....our loved ones gone as pioneers and comissioners...as well as our Live-generations right now . .to Claim back livelyhoods and quest endevours...Rightly embarked upon...by salty communions of communities....Not friggin' 'Suits' . . .and we will Go Forth into the new order of global village communism...under our Own design of sovereign retentions...let far more slowly and gradually 'slip away'..AS that village is built., NOT as the bloody torchlighters Of it :mad:

...time to wear your balls on your bodies Gents:male:

:cocktail:

:beer:

:flower: . . . . . :y: :cool:

RODMC, shouldn't any poll focus on the issue...rather than the people?

I took a mate to Matamata races yesterday.

Mid 30's...Trackside punter...rare racegoer.

He soaked up the various debates going on around us re thoroughbred's woes.

His comments later were innocent but succinct.

"...aren't they all missing the point?...race clubs still only cater for racing people"..."Until they knock down all the walls and open the areas to all, newcomers won't feel comfortable or welcome"

Lucky I took him to Matamata - they're one of the better ones!

Can I suggest thats why we can only lure crowds to summer days...where people feel more comfortable mingling freely in the open...away from the segmented areas of yester-year?

We have already lost a couple of generations to our rivals. Can we afford to miss another with our dinasour facilities?

and whilst we are at it, why don't we get rid of football club memberships and areas at rugby grounds? Get rid of corporate areas? Maybe Clubs (as a rule) should be banned?

No, I don't think so. For $320 annual fee I enjoy going to Doomben or Eagle Farm and enjoy the less crowded areas of the public stand etc. I enjoy paying my Ellerslie Members fee and my Flemington Members fee. Why? Because it gives me a choice of a bit less crowdedness and at the same time let's those who don't wish to pay for the priv, still enjoy the day in other areas.

Moreso at Eagle Farm this Saturday on Stradbroke Day. It will be a "Zoo". Hopefully, Starcheeka (at 100/1) can make my day from 18 alley. I had $50ew on him yesterday at $101 and $25 the place! A mad bet but - racing can throw up the unusual!

RODMC, shouldn't any poll focus on the issue...rather than the people?

I took a mate to Matamata races yesterday.

Mid 30's...Trackside punter...rare racegoer.

He soaked up the various debates going on around us re thoroughbred's woes.

His comments later were innocent but succinct.

"...aren't they all missing the point?...race clubs still only cater for racing people"..."Until they knock down all the walls and open the areas to all, newcomers won't feel comfortable or welcome"

Lucky I took him to Matamata - they're one of the better ones!

Can I suggest thats why we can only lure crowds to summer days...where people feel more comfortable mingling freely in the open...away from the segmented areas of yester-year?

We have already lost a couple of generations to our rivals. Can we afford to miss another with our dinasour facilities?

Point taken but the question is are these the people to guide racing to a better future?

I do have an open mind when it comes to political maneuvering but the above article does not make for good reading.

I believe if it is an equal playing field for all clubs then the so called dinosaurs will be weeded out and "Natural Selection" will take place.

The clubs left standing will then be able to develop their facilities accordingly.

Thing is The Apprentice...I know who you are and roughly how old you are.

So I guess it matters little to you how we continue to replenish the ownership base for the next 50+ years.

I believe if it is an equal playing field for all clubs then the so called dinosaurs will be weeded out and "Natural Selection" will take place.

The clubs left standing will then be able to develop their facilities accordingly.

Remembering of course that these clubs are predominantly run by ever-changing voluntary groups.

Should a club with a long, proud history be allowed to vanish due to the actions of a few?

Or a whole region for that matter?

You'd prefer that to controlled rationalisation?

Remembering of course that these clubs are predominantly run by ever-changing voluntary groups.

Should a club with a long, proud history be allowed to vanish due to the actions of a few?

If the local community do not support their local racecourse then that is their loss. History is exactly that history nice to look back on and reminise but to hold on too tight will seriously effect the future of our sport/industry.

As to controlled rationalisation there is always going to be favouritism by the people in power for all sorts of reasons.

So in my opinion if rationalisation is required it should only happen if every club is given a fair opportunity to perform.

The bulk of the crowd that will be at Eagle Farm on Saturday will be aged between 18 and 30. That's where the extra numbers come from on this big day. The same on Tattersalls Cup Day on 26 June. They'll get around 8000 people and the bulk will be the younger brigade.

I think Flemington has the best and most active programme for "young" members. They have special functions, dances, fashion nights etc etc at the course throughout the year for the youngies. (The future "older" members!).

I think the Australian Racing Bodies are a little bit more progressive. As an owner of a horse racing in OZ, I have a special badge that gets me into all the SE Qld courses and all the Melbourne courses and surrounds - even if I don't have a horse racing on the day. No entry fees. Do you get that as an owner in NZ? I think not. If you have a horse racing at a meeting in NZ they send you a letter to advise that tickets will be avail on the day.

I'm getting away from the point of this thread re Members Reserve etc but you get my drift I'm sure.

Untrue for the small clubs committee"s I know wibbly, hope you were not trying to mislead anyone.:(

I would like to see a poll on here to see what the majority of people think.

Should Sargent, Stiassy, Sutherland stay or go?

GO!

Of the three SS men Mr A Sutherland has been longest in a position of official influence.

He joined the then Racing Industry Board during 1996/97.

Prior to his arrival the thoroughbred code had a turnover of $524.781m (on-course $63.242m + off-course $461.539m. No fixed odds at that time).

The RIB's Annual Report for 1996/97 contained on its inside front cover the statement "The NZRIB is committed to making racing New Zealand's most popular sport by 2005". That statement was repeated on the outside back cover of the 1997/98 Report.

And the results show?

Thoroughbred code's turnover for 2004/05 was DOWN to $443.578 (on-course $45.476m + off-course $398.082m

incl low-profit FOB of $8.768m).

Mr A Sutherland continued on the Racing Board.

The latest code turnovers 2008/09 show a total up slightly to $465.924m (on-course $46.606m + off-course $419.318 incl a big increase in low-profit FOB up to $42.120m).

This seems to me pretty convincing proof that, at least so far as the thoroughbred code is concerned, Mr A Sutherland and his fellow Board Members of 96/97 and 97/98 HAVE FAILED IN THEIR COMMITTMENT and should no longer hold office.

PS Interestingly, one of NZ's three racing codes did succeed in substantially increasing its participation and turnovers in the years since 96/97, and the other has broadly held its ground.

Only the thoroughbred code has lost ground and has lost market share of the very important NZ betting on NZ races.

And these facts should lead all concerned stakeholders to examine the policies of the three Code Governing Bodies over the period and to look for the differences that might explain the obvious drop in thoroughbred participation.

I will put forward my opinions in a later post.