RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Nigelissima - Ponderosa Miss Race 3 Hawkes Bay

Thanks for your help Tinkerbelle..but it's Whangarei R-5 i'm after.

disregard the above Tinkerbelle..as i've found the click.

Saturday(30/8/14) Whangarei R-5

Passing the 300m Zuccato which had been held up, angled out to obtain clear running hampering Way In (J.Wong) which had to be steadied losing ground.

Zuccato then became unbalanced shifting out and making heavy contact with Southern Icon which was badly hampered losing ground.

As a result Buffalo Boy was also hampered.

Apprentice rider A Schwerin admitted a resultant breach of careless riding with the Judicial Committee suspending her license to ride in races 3-10 September 2014 inclusive, 5 riding days.

Following the race Stewards lodged an objection on behalf of the connections of the fourth placed horse Way In against the third placed horse Zuccato, alleging interference in the final straight.

After hearing submissions, the Judicial committee upheld the protest, with final placings then being, Passing Shot 1st, Cherry Vain 2nd, Way In 3rd and Zuccato 4th.

..There it is word for word as well as an exact copy of the grammar etc.

That report trivialises the extent that This manoeuvre was very dangerous and negligent! (reckless?)

here's the replay http://www.nzracing.co.nz/RaceInfo/43227/5/Race-Detail.aspx#video

..the report leaves out rider's names for runners...and i no way portrays with any actuality accuracy...lacking correct wording of the incident's description...so that the reader gleans the seriousness of the offence., As does the Stipes interpretation of the offence  being Not serious at All!!

From TAB news desk

A 58 year old jockey could be a bigger recipe for disaster :D

Former champ Chui in good touch

Marco Chui displayed the style that made him a champion apprentice in Hong Kong with a sublime victory at Hastings aboard potential classic contender Stratocaster.

The 28-year-old showed a cool head to bring the dashing grey three-year-old home with a sterling finish to account for the favourite Turn Me Loose in Saturday’s DHL Hawke’s Bay Guineas Prelude.

Chui, who had one previous success to his credit in New Zealand, had also been aboard Stratocaster when he had missed the kick on his Ruakaka debut before making ground strongly for fifth behind the unbeaten Copy Watch.

“His last start was very good in a 1000 metre race and he jumped well today and I sat back – he’s got a very good turn of foot.”

Chui won the apprentice’s title in Hong Kong in 2007-08, but struggled thereafter and served several suspensions for drug use. He began to rebuild his riding career in Western Australia and is now with Tim and Margaret Carter at Cambridge.

....I could of won on this horse...special animal as seen at ruakaka.huge win

Thanks for your help Tinkerbelle..but it's Whangarei R-5 i'm after.

disregard the above Tinkerbelle..as i've found the click.

Saturday(30/8/14) Whangarei R-5

Passing the 300m Zuccato which had been held up, angled out to obtain clear running hampering Way In (J.Wong) which had to be steadied losing ground.

Zuccato then became unbalanced shifting out and making heavy contact with Southern Icon which was badly hampered losing ground.

As a result Buffalo Boy was also hampered.

Apprentice rider A Schwerin admitted a resultant breach of careless riding with the Judicial Committee suspending her license to ride in races 3-10 September 2014 inclusive, 5 riding days.

Following the race Stewards lodged an objection on behalf of the connections of the fourth placed horse Way In against the third placed horse Zuccato, alleging interference in the final straight.

After hearing submissions, the Judicial committee upheld the protest, with final placings then being, Passing Shot 1st, Cherry Vain 2nd, Way In 3rd and Zuccato 4th.

..There it is word for word as well as an exact copy of the grammer etc.

That report trivialises the extent that This manouvre was very dangerous and negligent!

here's the replay http://www.nzracing.co.nz/RaceInfo/43227/5/Race-Detail.aspx#video

..the report leaves out rider's names for runners...and i no way portrays with any actuality accuracy...lacking correct wording of the incident's description...so that the reader gleans the seriousness of the offence., As does the Stipes interpretation of the offence  being Not serious at All!!

Where's the consistency I say, here Schewerin gets 5 days for careless riding in July a central districts apprentice Murray gets 8 days and was his first offence.

I know they only young jockeys,but i seen that race on tv,it was one of the worst i have ever seen,the kid should be sent back to apprentice school to learn how to ride and look after fellow riders,Terrible display,Makes it very hard to ever think about putting a dollar on any of that kids rides.

How can the stipes believe that only 1 month is fair, the injuries to the horse and the expense to the owners is huge, the horse will be out for a good length of time, maybe never race again and this jockey will be back riding again in a month - unbelievable!

NZ Herald reports that one of the part owners of PM may take legal actionif she cannot be saved.She is apparently valued conservatively at $750k to $850k.

My question to the owners would be was she insured.If not why not?

Where do they get these figures from.

Mr Hollinshead says that it's the worst interference he has seen in 50 years.Ipresume he means to his horses.

Ihope they sue and that will open up a can of worms that may open up other possibilities eg can you sue a trainer who says a horse will win but doesn't,Can you sue a race club who get the track reading wrong etc.

Wasn't there something similar with Michael Coleman years ago ? From memory he was sued in Australia but could have been for causing injury to another rider in a fall.   While you can understand their anger only too well in this case, being realistic , what could they get out of him ?  He's a  fairly young bloke with  probably  limited assets in regard to massive sum like that ,   at $ 50 a week  payback, it would be 12th of never before they got anything of substance.

We are blessed with a number of gifted young jockeys.The only thing they lack is experience.David Walsh and Noel Harris have ridden on most N.Z. tracks for the past 35-40 years.They know them so well that especially in winter they can outride younger claiming apprentices.You have to admire their great skills.

Yasoo, Spyro, ok, jockeys are contractors, trainers also, in Australia trainers need to have public and professional indemnity insurance to cover them accordingly, say a horse gets away while being led and kills someone, and/or a trainer does something that makes him liable through his/her own Mia culpa. An example would/could be by mistake a trainer directs an employee or even themselves to give a med to the horse resulting in a positive and subsequent loss of prize money.

So surely it's the jocks private insurance that should be paying, it's a can of worms, but very real. I know you have the worlds strangest insurance laws in NZ, but not withstanding,all private contractors need to be insured, a builder needs to, a brickie, imagine a wall falling down on someone rendering them paralysed.......so if NZ does not allow professional indemnity it bloody well should, for every ones sake.

Way out of wack,

but you guys help build this up, when most of you were probably talking out of their pocket, without an iota for the horse.

The value he places on her seems a little over the top, I know this family better good.

The interference was minor and reflected by the stewards. Lots of far worse incidents, (including the Ruakaka race) its just the odds, in regards to the injury to the horse. 

But maybe I could sue fatboy for some of his lacklustre rides ...  ;)

If that was realtively  minor , I wouldn't like to see major. Do you think the penalty might have just reflected  more the stewards and their  lax attitude ?  Lets put it this way, in Australia what would the penalty have been ?   As Daniel Hain is our  regular track work rider I'm  looking forward to hearing more about what he has to say.

Dillon's article is, like Hesi says, a bit overly strong on hyperbole. Just a few points-

1) This was an unfortunate incident in which Chui showed a error of judgement, was charged and got 4 weeks which seems an appropriate penalty.

2) There have been hundreds of instances of similar types of interference previously in NZ which have resulted in much more serious outcomes for horse and jockey. Lawsuits were not brought. This would be a major shifting of goalposts to see civil responsibility brought into these situations. Racing doesn't need it. Most of us accept there is an inherent risk in this activity for our horses involved. Many many years ago I had a very promising 3yo who my trainer believed was a serious Oaks chance. At the Wanganui trials she had her heels clipped in mid-race which partially dislodged a hind shoe. When coming away to win comfortably in the straight the shoe dislodged completely at full stretch and sliced her foreleg in half through the cannon. Needless to say she could not be saved. The jockey Matthew Enright, fell very heavily and was off riding for a month with concussion. No one thought for a minute about suing anyone. I was heartbroken and we had lost a very promising horse but we accept these incidents as part of the risk. 

3) While Pondarosa Miss was a promising sort she was hardly "NZ's most prominent emerging racemare". She had 7 starts prior to Saturday for 3 wins, the best of which was an R75. She had accumulated NO black type in those 7 starts. 

4) Her value being "conservatively estimated at $750-800k" seems excessive based on my previous point. We buy a number of proven racemares for large sums but would reject a value like that out of hand based on what she had achieved to date. She may well have been worth that figure or more with a few stakes wins under her belt but that had yet to happen.

5) Hollinshead states (according to Dillon) "but she is owned by a syndicate and can't be sold". Really ? This is part of the syndicate agreement ? I stand to be corrected but this is utter nonsense. What I presume he means is "she is raced on lease without a right of purchase", which is an entirely different thing. But even that doesn't make sense as Peter Hollinshead is one of the co-breeders. Just awful journalism really. Maybe someone can shed more light on "but she is owned by a syndicate and can't be sold". 

6) To quote Chris Munce and the HKJC is patently ridiculous and utterly irrelevant to the story. he was jailed for taking bribes. Nothing whatsoever to do with race interference.

I would be interested to hear Rumpole's view on the whole thing, providing he hasn't jumped on a gravy train already  ;)

I hope for the connections of Pondarosa Miss that she makes a full recovery. 

I remember a league player getting a massive suspension because he broke someones jaw. Now, this tackle was no different than any other normal head high tackle, but, because he broke his jaw the guy missed most of the season.

Marco deserves a lengthy suspension but the injuries suffered by the horse shouldn't factor into this.

And FWIW, PM wouldn't have got close to Blizzard.

Howdy folks!

First thing first, I'm going to be alright, and fingers crossed PM comes through everything well too.

I was obviously not happy at the time of the incident, as I'm sure most of you are more than

well aware of, after seeing my reaction once I got back to my feet.

Comming from a Jockey perspective, I had the exact position and line I wanted, and was well entitled to it.
From my point of view, Marco had made his decision to go inside 'Flint' and at the last minute he has

changed his mind, and angled out sharply without looking or having any idea I was there untill I called out

and the contact was made.

That's the risk's of Racing, and it's just a part of beign in the industry. High's and low's,
Good luck and Bad luck etc.

I understand we all make mistakes, weather we are 'High-Profile' or 'Low-Profile' riders, but for an experienced

rider, I was dissapointed with his actions and obviously the consequences that resulted in the nasty injuries

PM has recieved.

I was realativley calm once I got back to the Jockey's room, as I was not aware of PM's injuries. I am well associated

with the Hollinshead family, PM, and a large number of the syndicate owners, and was very concerned with her state

and well beign, and eagerly went over to the stalling area to see her.

In relation to the penalty against Marco Chui, I don't think it would be fair, or appropriate for me to state my opinion.

The only thing I am worried about is PM. She's a little champ and deserves the absolute best.

More hyperbole that you didn't allude to

- Chui angled out almost at right angles Not physically possible, Nigelissima would have fallen if she had changed direction at that angle

- Peter Hollinshead told the Herald the interference is the worst he's seen in 50 years in racing. With all due respect, hardly an objective comment

- "She would have buried them yesterday if she hadn't been checked.

"Daniel Hain was in tears. He said they wouldn't have seen which way she'd gone." Once again, hardly an objective comment.  Blizzard was going well, had 7 lengths advantage and kept up a strong gallop to the line

Yep hard to argue with any of that. But I would make the observation I would not criticise the connections in any way if they were exaggerating or saying things without thinking them fully through.

If she was mine I would be gutted and angry and letting everyone know about it...