RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hunterville

Jumps Racing on Campbell Live

Really....you thort that was good reporting?? I thort it was very poor taste to have that on television. Tommy and George just proved what show ponies they are.......and they never spoke to ANY owners of Mr Charlton, so for John Cambell to say he was much loved(which he was) was just a guess......

It makes racing look terrible to the people that watch those programs and know nothing about horses and how there bodies work. And as for Adian Rodley putting a picture of a fallen horse on the FRONT page of the Waikato times, congradulations, you just brought racing into disrupte...is the demise of horses and jockeys really how we want to advertise our industry???

What happened to reporting the good news???

i am interested to know what race cafers expect the reaction of the public (including the 20% potential punting public alluded to in another thread) to be from this story and event, where the story culminated in a fallen horse being lead over the line to collect the $840.

it would be nuts to pretend these things don't happen....& ostrich-like to attempt to prevent it from being public knowledge.

might it not be more constructive to align such publicity with greater publicity to changes that have been/are being & will be made to ensure as comprehensively as possible that safety for horses & riders are always the priority.

I thought Tommy spoke well and answered everything in an accurate and sensible manner.

A fairly bizarre days racing, but if people want to criticize what happened they need to hark their minds back to the Grand National at Aintree in 2001. In what was the coldest and wettest day of my life I witnessed the great race with 42 starters of which only 4 completed the course. And two of those remounted!!! Yep - 40 of the 42 fell...not one horse or rider was injured. Now thats bizarre!

When I saw the ad I thought it was going to be some anti-jumps thing, but it was good they emphasized the unusual nature of all the falls happening in one race, and they didn't even talk about the steeples which was a similar affair. All in all I don't think it did too much damage.

I thought it was good, like you Hunterville i thought Campbell was going to give racing a roasting. That article was a great pre emptive, if nothing had been said the anti-jumps brigade would have used the race against the sport. With George and Tommy saying how unusal it was it will have taken some heat out of the situation.

Really....you thort that was good reporting?? I thort it was very poor taste to have that on television. Tommy and George just proved what show ponies they are.......and they never spoke to ANY owners of Mr Charlton, so for John Cambell to say he was much loved(which he was) was just a guess......

It makes racing look terrible to the people that watch those programs and know nothing about horses and how there bodies work. And as for Adian Rodley putting a picture of a fallen horse on the FRONT page of the Waikato times, congradulations, you just brought racing into disrupte...is the demise of horses and jockeys really how we want to advertise our industry???

What happened to reporting the good news???

I disagree with you Riddle. The article was about the bizarre and unusual nature of the falls. I thought before I watched it that it would be too critical. But it appeared quite sensibly spoken. Just surprised that nothing was mentioned about the steeplechase (Tommy canning out at the 2nd fence of the chase, a bad day at the office for him).

Good news should always be considered. But a separate article would have been needed as such a subject would be different.