RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hunterville

Hawke's Bay millionaire charged over boy-racer incident

Hawke's Bay millionaire Sam Kelt has been charged with disorderly behaviour for kicking the car of a boy racer who he says was trying to run him down.

Kelt, 46, whose skull was fractured in an attack by a boy racer at Mt Maunganui in 2006, says he is "astonished" police have chosen to prosecute him.

He said he was trying to cross the road on his way to McDonald's in Hastings about 10pm on Monday when a speeding vehicle veered towards him.

Moments before, he had been passed by seven speeding vehicles. "There was one group of five speeding dangerously up and down Heretaunga St, doing U-turns then coming back," he said.

"They were followed by two more clearly of the same group and behaving in a similar manner.

"I was just trying to cross the road, which was difficult and quite dangerous in the circumstances, when an eighth vehicle came speeding toward me, veered at me, then carried on.

"I had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. It did a U-turn then came back toward me and veered at me again. Instinctively, and in self-defence, I kicked it. That should tell you how close it was to me. It was incredibly dangerous."

The merchant banker said he arrived at McDonald's to find it closed and turned around to walk back to his office.

"The police pulled up after they received a complaint about me kicking the car and arrested me for disorderly behaviour. It couldn't be further from the truth. At worst I was acting in self-defence."

Mr Kelt was attacked by a 20-year-old Te Puke man after protesting about late-night boy racer behaviour at Mt Maunganui on July 15, 2006. He suffered multiple skull fractures and bleeding to the brain, and spent 10 days in hospital. "I was very fortunate to survive."

It was "time for somebody to stand up" to hooligans such as boy racers, he said. "The New Zealand public are totally fed up with the continued dangerous behaviour of boy racers and the danger they pose to ordinary New Zealanders and the apparent inability of the police to do anything about it.

"People are continually being killed and seriously injured throughout New Zealand as a result of this conduct.

"It's now time for somebody to stand up to this high level of hooliganism and, if I have to accept being guilty of disorderly behaviour while doing so, then it's well worth the sacrifice."

He will plead not guilty when he appears before justices of the peace in Hastings District Court for a defended hearing in December.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3004385/Hawkes-Bay-millionaire-charged-over-boy-racer-incident

Hawke's Bay millionaire Sam Kelt has been charged with disorderly behaviour for kicking the car of a boy racer who he says was trying to run him down.

Kelt, 46, whose skull was fractured in an attack by a boy racer at Mt Maunganui in 2006, says he is "astonished" police have chosen to prosecute him.

He said he was trying to cross the road on his way to McDonald's in Hastings about 10pm on Monday when a speeding vehicle veered towards him.

Moments before, he had been passed by seven speeding vehicles. "There was one group of five speeding dangerously up and down Heretaunga St, doing U-turns then coming back," he said.

"They were followed by two more clearly of the same group and behaving in a similar manner.

"I was just trying to cross the road, which was difficult and quite dangerous in the circumstances, when an eighth vehicle came speeding toward me, veered at me, then carried on.

"I had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. It did a U-turn then came back toward me and veered at me again. Instinctively, and in self-defence, I kicked it. That should tell you how close it was to me. It was incredibly dangerous."

The merchant banker said he arrived at McDonald's to find it closed and turned around to walk back to his office.

"The police pulled up after they received a complaint about me kicking the car and arrested me for disorderly behaviour. It couldn't be further from the truth. At worst I was acting in self-defence."

Mr Kelt was attacked by a 20-year-old Te Puke man after protesting about late-night boy racer behaviour at Mt Maunganui on July 15, 2006. He suffered multiple skull fractures and bleeding to the brain, and spent 10 days in hospital. "I was very fortunate to survive."

It was "time for somebody to stand up" to hooligans such as boy racers, he said. "The New Zealand public are totally fed up with the continued dangerous behaviour of boy racers and the danger they pose to ordinary New Zealanders and the apparent inability of the police to do anything about it.

"People are continually being killed and seriously injured throughout New Zealand as a result of this conduct.

"It's now time for somebody to stand up to this high level of hooliganism and, if I have to accept being guilty of disorderly behaviour while doing so, then it's well worth the sacrifice."

He will plead not guilty when he appears before justices of the peace in Hastings District Court for a defended hearing in December.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/3004385/Hawkes-Bay-millionaire-charged-over-boy-racer-incident

What a load of B.S.!!!

You have to wonder why the police have got it in for Sam Kelt.

Clearly they do have...

Here is a man with a pocket full of money who is hardly likely to ever be convicted of this...

No Judge would convict him, and a jury certainly wouldn't.

When I studied Criminology at Victoria University, one of the first things we were told is how the police had such wide powers...

They don't have to charge anyone with any offence except for one...Murder.

All other offences are chargeable at the polices' discretion, entirely!

Someone has it in for Sam Kelt.

Have you ever heard of anyone being charged with kicking the tyre of a moving vehicle!

What rubbish!

What an enormous waste of public resources!

Thankfully Mr Kelt can afford to take the police on...

A lot of people can't, and are at the mercy of the system.

The police should be ashamed, and I don't care what Mr Kelt might have done to someone who is behind charging him.

They should crush all the cars that these clowns drive...

Yes I am surprised the police were wasting their time on something so Trivial

Normally they would be doing something really important to help keep our communities safe....you know like giving someone a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt or something...

What a load of crap from Kelt,ever tried to kick a car moving?

He was supposed to be dodging the car,but kicked it in self defence,yeah right mate.If you are taking evasive action the last thing you do is stop to kick the door,or else get him in the all blacks because his step must be awesome.

To me he seems to be thinking he is above the law,all because he is wealthy.Sure so called noisey(stereos) cars are a pain,and the exhaust noise aggravates,but define boy racer.I was at a fathers day event on private property,best burn out was from a guy 62yr old in a Falcon,managed to spin the wheels impressively,but on a road and if cops around he would be booked.

I dunno, what is it with our provinces, eh?

If it's not Southlanders and their under-age betting, it's Hawkes Bay millionaires kicking in cars...

We need to make an example here...

I recommend banning teams from those provinces from this year's NPC semifinals...

Most of the article is the words of Sam himself. He is one side of the story. What is the rest of it?

I would presume that the cops must have had a valid reason to charge him.

I don't believe that anybody can give an informed opinion based on the article alone.

To me he seems to be thinking he is above the law,all because he is wealthy.

Kelt is one of the most "down-to-earth" people who has done far more for racing than someone with the portfolio who shunted his nose up racings bum like a dog looking for a what would zzz say? No, can't say it, but you know what I mean.

Kelt is no angel but this charge from the police is nothing more than provocation.

By the way, not many people are angels...

That he has money is his business.

Has he ever really hurt anyone?

Has he ever taken food from a families table bcause he didn't pay his bills?

Has he ever pretended that when he breaks wind it wasn't him?

Get a life.

And, if it ever comes back on the cop(s) who have taken this vendetta against Kelt I for one want be sorry if they get what they do deserve..

Which means...

My support is totally with Sam Kelt.

Go gettem Sam:)

Gee forgive me for having an opinion,last time I looked we were not a police state and freedom of speech is still allowed.

I stand by my comments he thinks he is above the law,he was caught at a check point and over yet chose to fight in court,and other assault charges in the last few years.

At least I can say I've had no criminal convictions.

Gee forgive me for having an opinion,last time I looked we were not a police state and freedom of speech is still allowed.

I stand by my comments he thinks he is above the law,he was caught at a check point and over yet chose to fight in court,and other assault charges in the last few years.

Interesting that the checkpoint happened to have the TV cameras waiting -I wonder just who arranged it all ?

Interesting that the checkpoint happened to have the TV cameras waiting -I wonder just who arranged it all ?

You and I think alike, Don...

I wondered aloud just what it was that Sam had done to so annoy police that he was set up in such a fashion...

Sorry, Hope, but I'm siding (completely without knowing any details, ha) with the Boys in Blue here...

He isn't the first racing personality to have been caught drink driving...

So he has a temper!.

If he has any criminal convictions, they are his business, no one else's...

I could tell you things about one or two Judge's who send people to prison for life - for murder, and yet they have a completely different side to them.

I'm not naming names or saying they are members of the N.Z. Judiciary...

But again, this knowledge is widely known and talked about in the relevant circles.

We need to make an example here...

I recommend banning teams from those provinces from this year's NPC semifinals...

:D :D :D

No chance.

We're gunna get ya.

As for Kelt, I think his issue on one New years day after the races at Hastings when he came on all high n mighty when he was asked to talk into the whodacky thingi for an alcohol reading turned to custard has left a bad taste in the local constabularys mouth.

At least we have the day in court,so hopefully all is revealed,but as my mum used to say,if you behave the cops have no need to annoy you.

Sure he has upset the cops probably at times,but then again if you can get the good lawyers you can get off a charge good on him,just my thoughts are why spend dollars to fight when maybe pleading guilty results in a fine less than the lawyers bill,and a traffic conviction isn't that bad.

He isn't the first racing personality to have been caught drink driving...

So he has a temper!.

If he has any criminal convictions, they are his business, no one else's...

I could tell you things about one or two Judge's who send people to prison for life - for murder, and yet they have a completely different side to them.

I'm not naming names or saying they are members of the N.Z. Judiciary...

But again, this knowledge is widely known and talked about in the relevant circles.

I remember a few years back doing some work in Sam's brothers office which ajoined Sam's.

Anyway Craig had this large stained glassed window that he loved and was going on holiday his last words to us workers was make sure nothing happens to my window while i'm away.No sooner had he left in enters Sam picks up a step ladder and throws it straight through the window spins on his heels and says i've always hated that window!

Now Sam you promised some Kelt caps tickets etc to keep quite about that incident and i'm still waiting:)

What are the cops thinking. We keep hearing about the lack of resources that the police have yet they can tie up several staff for several days. A court room for at least a day. All this costing tax payers thousands of dollars and for what. If Sam Kelt is found guilty he may get a $400 fine but he is more likely to get off. It is alot safer to persue Sam Kelt than a Mongrel Mob member. There may not be many rapists or murders left out there to catch. See what sort of response you get from the police if you get burgled. See how many hours they will spend on your case.

What a load of crap from Kelt,ever tried to kick a car moving?

He was supposed to be dodging the car,but kicked it in self defence,yeah right mate.If you are taking evasive action the last thing you do is stop to kick the door,or else get him in the all blacks because his step must be awesome.

Hope , have a good read of this post then think long and hard about it.

A brain damaged overweight dwarf pulling off that manouveur (sp) would be recruited by cirque du soleil before you could say "Sammy's a banker"

I'd say wait for the other side of the story.

Hope,do I detect a bit of "police envy" from you ?

Maybe the police were outraged at Sam's birdcage speech after this years Kelt, and wish he had praised the connections of Vosne Romanee rather than bleat on about saving the youth of the world with the astronomical millions he stated he was going to fundraise. One of the most bizzarre speeches Ive ever heard. Might still have that bump on his head. :tcheek:

Maybe the police were outraged at Sam's birdcage speech after this years Kelt, and wish he had praised the connections of Vosne Romanee rather than bleat on about saving the youth of the world with the astronomical millions he stated he was going to fundraise. One of the most bizzarre speeches Ive ever heard. Might still have that bump on his head. :tcheek:

It was a pretty bizarre presentation alright. One thing that's been bugging me is why those two guys were painting you, Gastro, in Vosne Romanee's colours as you stood there in the birdcage?

See what sort of response you get from the police if you get burgled. See how many hours they will spend on your case.

I like the Police.....I have an uncle who spent his entire career in the force ( now retired ), and a brother of mine was accepted as a recruit......but I do know that once they have you in their sights then they're eventually going to get you!

But back to the bit i've quoted from above.

True story ( for a change...ha ha )...

Five years ago I was leaving a pub in central Wgtn City.....it was a Saturday night, just gone midnight.

This guy was walking towards me...I suspected nothing...he draws level with me and BAM!!...breaks my nose...I go down...blood everywhere....obviously he was trying to roll me!

I got up and chased after him....I got my phone out and i'm dialing 111 as I ran....i've got blood falling down my face and into my mouth as I tell the operator that i've been assaulted, and that i'm chasing the offender through Taranaki Street.

I'm still on the phone to the op and closing in on the guy when he stops....picks up a bottle from the gutter, smashes it, and starts running after me.....ha ha.

I'm relaying this all to the operator as we go of course.....anyway, I turn around and see him head down this poorly lit dead-end......i go to the start of the dead-end and tell the operator that i'll wait here for the Police.....she says they'll be there soon.

50 minutes later they turned up....Sat night, central city, just past midnight!!!!

I was filthy!!

They went down the dead-end....flashed their torchlights around like they were flashing one of those "sparklers" you buy on Guy Fawkes and deduced that the guy must have jumped a fence.

I got warned that if I persisted with my sarcastic and abusive language that i'd find myself arrested....lol.

They offered to take me home but I declined and caught a taxi instead.

......toughen up !!!!

Why didnt you just go to the Hurricanes practice and identify this wuss.

:D

I described the offender as being of either Maori or Polynesian decent......stocky build.....covered in tatts....and wearing a yellow rugby jersey.

They took me to a Hurricanes practise.....got all the players to line up in front of me.....but it was no good....I couldn't tell them apart.