RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
POPA GAS

Manawatu Standard

Greyhound racing could be back in business by the end of the month, but the financially stricken Manawatu club will not be at the helm.

Instead, Greyhound Racing New Zealand would run trials and race meetings at the Palmerston North track, general manager Jim Leach said yesterday.

"We are hoping that we might be able to get a trial started on Saturday, May 29, then racing on Monday 31, but that's still in discussion," Mr Leach said.

It would have to set up a trust account to fund the race meetings, he added.

Last month all racing was suspended after the governing body deemed Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club to be insolvent.

The club committee of nine had collectively resigned under a cloud of financial turmoil, which prevented any discussions to get racing started again, Mr Leach said.

This week, an interim management committee was selected at a club meeting. Jon Tristram is chairing the five-member group, who were not on the previous committee. He did not want to comment.

The club was evicted from the Pioneer Highway facility earlier this month, after failing to pay rent for at least 18 months.

It owed the Manawatu Harness Racing Club tens of thousands of dollars and had other hefty debts including a $660,000 loan to build a new track in 2007.

The club disputes that it is in debt.

Mr Leach said the debt was not the reason behind the suspension.

Two independent audits concluded the club did not have enough cash in the coffers to run day-to-day operations.

All scheduled race meetings had been transferred to Whanganui, but the track was "fairly stressed", Mr Leach said.

Trainers and owners were itching to get back on the city track as it suited some dogs.

The club remains disaffiliated from the New Zealand Greyhound Association, preventing it from holding events.

Club secretary-manager Ashoka Pandey said he could not comment.

Mr Leach said Mr Pandey was still employed by the club.

"That's an issue for them, not us," he said.

out of the paper

Bev

Greyhound racing could be back in business by the end of the month, but the financially stricken Manawatu club will not be at the helm.

Instead, Greyhound Racing New Zealand would run trials and race meetings at the Palmerston North track, general manager Jim Leach said yesterday.

"We are hoping that we might be able to get a trial started on Saturday, May 29, then racing on Monday 31, but that's still in discussion," Mr Leach said.

It would have to set up a trust account to fund the race meetings, he added.

Last month all racing was suspended after the governing body deemed Manawatu Greyhound Racing Club to be insolvent.

The club committee of nine had collectively resigned under a cloud of financial turmoil, which prevented any discussions to get racing started again, Mr Leach said.

This week, an interim management committee was selected at a club meeting. Jon Tristram is chairing the five-member group, who were not on the previous committee. He did not want to comment.

The club was evicted from the Pioneer Highway facility earlier this month, after failing to pay rent for at least 18 months.

It owed the Manawatu Harness Racing Club tens of thousands of dollars and had other hefty debts including a $660,000 loan to build a new track in 2007.

The club disputes that it is in debt.

Mr Leach said the debt was not the reason behind the suspension.

Two independent audits concluded the club did not have enough cash in the coffers to run day-to-day operations.

All scheduled race meetings had been transferred to Whanganui, but the track was "fairly stressed", Mr Leach said.

Trainers and owners were itching to get back on the city track as it suited some dogs.

The club remains disaffiliated from the New Zealand Greyhound Association, preventing it from holding events.

Club secretary-manager Ashoka Pandey said he could not comment.

Mr Leach said Mr Pandey was still employed by the club.

"That's an issue for them, not us," he said.

out of the paper

Bev

So this Mr Leach was the great hope, to lead us out of the quagmire. Has decided to let us sink further into it and bury us forever, as i see it unregistering the club is like hey we didnt do it the faceless people who run it was all their fault. Maybe thats so but those people made calls seems some were wrong BUT i am sure the light at the end of the tunnel appears too see furtherclubs unregistered as those in the past, without trying to help those clubs and employ someone to advise a better business plan for the P/N and Fund it out of dept . The question that comes to mind WHEN are the L/Ps going to stand up to these people who are regulating their lncome and Work for the good of SKY and Trackside, TAB. Without TRUE representation not club appointed reps or even our L/Ps rep but us the L/Ps and OWNERS BREEDERS and any other registered person who cares about this industry, to demand a true report on the findings other than showing their agenda re the club. I know the club has been made unregistered for what ever reason about lack of funding. WHY didnt the ASS fund them out of trouble and pay depts, is not history going with all the clubs deregistered down the gurglar or isnt history worth saving only YOU can decide that . Cheers Jim

I would have thought it appropriate business practice for that news to appear on the Greyhound Web site for all L.P's to be informed and kept up to date before appearing in a local paper.

spoke to one of the authors of the reports into the mgrc

commitee or some of it and management

ran it as there own personal tool to there advantage and buggered it for everyone

else.

there was several oppitions to run this as a viable business but the commitee rejected these.

so not grnz at fault but afew gready locals

I would have thought it appropriate business practice for that news to appear on the Greyhound Web site for all L.P's to be informed and kept up to date before appearing in a local paper.

Spot on Clarkie seems a press report to a paper is like trying to leak bad news on a political front The way in which this information has got to this place race cafe. Think about the leak about P/N through the TAB email to Brian at the track, maybe these two issues were planned to be leaked think about it and the connection of a past board member of the TAB promoting the the One industry racing format. Thoughts on why this may be happening cheers Jim

spoke to one of the authors of the reports into the mgrc

commitee or some of it and management

ran it as there own personal tool to there advantage and buggered it for everyone

else.

there was several oppitions to run this as a viable business but the commitee rejected these.

so not grnz at fault but afew gready locals

Give us a break turn it around fix it dont dump the club without trying to save it and bagging people that maybe would have done better as i said earier on this thread business plans, management skills anything to have saved the club from deregistration, your comment is so negative you must have a agenda to bad mouth people when possibly they cant defend themselves with the set up against them cheers Jim

Give us a break turn it around fix it dont dump the club without trying to save it and bagging people that maybe would have done better as i said earier on this thread business plans, management skills anything to have saved the club from deregistration, your comment is so negative you must have a agenda to bad mouth people when possibly they cant defend themselves with the set up against them cheers Jim

You seem to have an opinion about everything but what first hand knowlege do you really have on the situation in the central district?

no agenda the writer of the mentioned report gave the committee several options to keep the club running and to reduce debt. extend term of loan at no interest but had the rug pulled from under him by the few gready locals mentioned earlier

cheers

Spot on Clarkie seems a press report to a paper is like trying to leak bad news on a political front The way in which this information has got to this place race cafe. Think about the leak about P/N through the TAB email to Brian at the track, maybe these two issues were planned to be leaked think about it and the connection of a past board member of the TAB promoting the the One industry racing format. Thoughts on why this may be happening cheers Jim

jim i normally agree with you on everything but if this club cannot agree to disagree and if it has been run into the ground as many have suggested i think the board has no alternative i cant see any problem within the future of the board agreeing for club being re registered under short term administration from the board lets face it on the face of things the club seems to be poorly run,, i really cant understand how the trotting club let them run up such a huge rental bill without stopping them from using the premises earlier

and ask to be sent a copy of the Dale report. Also ask them to put the report up on the website for all Lp's to read.

Help was asked for, help was given more than once. Professionals were offered at no expense to the club, and accepted by the club. The professionals once they began work were stonewalled and ostracized.

One of the professionals was a man of great standing both in NZ and overseas, his reputation, integrity, and creditials could be matched by few in this country.

Read that report! Then when you have read that report, read the Johnson report. I myself have been extremely critical of our governing body in the past and dare say will be again, but the criticism in this case is not warranted or justified.

So this Mr Leach was the great hope, to lead us out of the quagmire. Has decided to let us sink further into it and bury us forever, as i see it unregistering the club is like hey we didnt do it the faceless people who run it was all their fault. Maybe thats so but those people made calls seems some were wrong BUT i am sure the light at the end of the tunnel appears too see furtherclubs unregistered as those in the past, without trying to help those clubs and employ someone to advise a better business plan for the P/N and Fund it out of dept . The question that comes to mind WHEN are the L/Ps going to stand up to these people who are regulating their lncome and Work for the good of SKY and Trackside, TAB. Without TRUE representation not club appointed reps or even our L/Ps rep but us the L/Ps and OWNERS BREEDERS and any other registered person who cares about this industry, to demand a true report on the findings other than showing their agenda re the club. I know the club has been made unregistered for what ever reason about lack of funding. WHY didnt the ASS fund them out of trouble and pay depts, is not history going with all the clubs deregistered down the gurglar or isnt history worth saving only YOU can decide that . Cheers Jim

Pretty fair comments there Jim.

Depending on Mr Leach's vision, it looks like he couldnt sell his agenda or did he? Mystifying really. A true leader can do this.

At club level its the same. Unless "all" can see the vision,you....unfortunately "get what your've got".

cheers

Jolz:)

jim i normally agree with you on everything but if this club cannot agree to disagree and if it has been run into the ground as many have suggested i think the board has no alternative i cant see any problem within the future of the board agreeing for club being re registered under short term administration from the board lets face it on the face of things the club seems to be poorly run,, i really cant understand how the trotting club let them run up such a huge rental bill without stopping them from using the premises earlier

Wasn't meant as a critism m8, was mean as an opinion for thought re my stance was one to think about cheers Jim

You seem to have an opinion about everything but what first hand knowlege do you really have on the situation in the central district?

Only my contact and general discussion with two ex commitee who never knocked anyone. other than reasoning and logic about some club matters that they could have done better in hindsight cheers Jim ps It was a private chat and at no time did i feel their anger but frustration was very evident in their tone of voice and no i will not name names as thats not my right. Thats their choice and privelidge.

Depending on Mr Leach's vision, it looks like he couldnt sell his agenda or did he? Mystifying really. A true leader can do this.

At club level its the same. Unless "all" can see the vision,you....unfortunately "get what your've got".

cheers

SO true thats my thoughts on the matter, but again thats an opinion and may be wrong, in some ways i hope i am wrong even if i have to fall on my sword this time wont be the first time or the last. cheers Jim

no agenda the writer of the mentioned report gave the committee several options to keep the club running and to reduce debt. extend term of loan at no interest but had the rug pulled from under him by the few gready locals mentioned earlier

cheers

thanks sick of it i can now see where you are coming from

cheers

i dont think he has been in the job long enough to really form an agenda but hey he may have racing up and running shortly give him him some kudos for that as wassa would say ,,, go leachy go

and ask to be sent a copy of the Dale report. Also ask them to put the report up on the website for all Lp's to read.

Help was asked for, help was given more than once. Professionals were offered at no expense to the club, and accepted by the club. The professionals once they began work were stonewalled and ostracized.

One of the professionals was a man of great standing both in NZ and overseas, his reputation, integrity, and creditials could be matched by few in this country.

Read that report! Then when you have read that report, read the Johnson report. I myself have been extremely critical of our governing body in the past and dare say will be again, but the criticism in this case is not warranted or justified.

Again you say it was the clubs fault but is it good for the greyhounds future club scene, if more clubs were to be deregistered it would be the end to racing as we know it. Why not move on without the past commitee but to deregister one of the oldest clubs in the history and to deny the past work of Nancy Cobain and Co to move with the times and go to loam, is like attacking the very foundation of the club ( commitees come and go some good some not so good) but the framework of the club should always overide short term solutions like deregistration. My opinion re all clubs and as you know by my past threads i allready have misgivings with their involvement in this drama saga what ever you want to call it. Because they must realise now more will go and the only way this can be achieved is, if this approach when ever a club has internal problems then step in close them down and ignore popular membership demands of members not committees, and why wasnt this acton given to us through our magazine not second hand through external publicity seems we are cannon fooder to the whims and wishes again an opinion cheers Jim

cheers

OK i apologise i will take time to get a copy of the report until Bev put it on here i had no idea that a decision had been made cheers Jim

i dont think he has been in the job long enough to really form an agenda but hey he may have racing up and running shortly give him him some kudos for that as wassa would say ,,, go leachy go

Then Wassa wasnt a great judge of people in general on what i have seen on the past threads, he contributed very little but then from his point of view he was justified to defend his trainers against gossip and innuendo as most would if they truly beieved their innocence cheers Jim

Backit is correct the NZGRA were aware of the need for help a year beforehand, they got the best professional advice for the club that you could wish for and the club decided they knew better, a year down the track and now it is the assoc. fault . Yeah right.

Again you say it was the clubs fault but is it good for the greyhounds future club scene, if more clubs were to be deregistered it would be the end to racing as we know it. Why not move on without the past commitee but to deregister one of the oldest clubs in the history and to deny the past work of Nancy Cobain and Co to move with the times and go to loam, is like attacking the very foundation of the club ( commitees come and go some good some not so good) but the framework of the club should always overide short term solutions like deregistration. My opinion re all clubs and as you know by my past threads i allready have misgivings with their involvement in this drama saga what ever you want to call it. Because they must realise now more will go and the only way this can be achieved is, if this approach when ever a club has internal problems then step in close them down and ignore popular membership demands of members not committees, and why wasnt this acton given to us through our magazine not second hand through external publicity seems we are cannon fooder to the whims and wishes again an opinion cheers Jim

Sorry, just so bl--dy frustrated by what has unfolded. There were proposals that would have enabled the club to move forward, the members were never shown this information. The majority of members haven't even seen the reports. If you were the GRNZ would you write a cheque and hand it over to the same people. How long would it take before you found yourself back in the same situation again?

I concur that the club has a long history and many good people have been involved in the past including Nancy. But for me a club is it's members and the people who come from all over to race at the track. The MGRC is just a name, so the club is deregistered, that doesn't prevent another new club from taking it's place. It's the people, the dogs, and the racing that are important, a name's just a name. Just another opinion.

Backit is correct the NZGRA were aware of the need for help a year beforehand, they got the best professional advice for the club that you could wish for and the club decided they knew better, a year down the track and now it is the assoc. fault . Yeah right.

Thanks Mike your opinion i value and if you call it then i would be swayed by your long knowledge about our industry and certain club affairs, but again its an opinion i put foreward for positive comment and so far i feel we are achieving this as more people decide who was right but the point i seem to have not made is i am independant and as i have said earlier in other posts why deregister the great names of clubs that held this industry together Wellington a club without a track Wiarapa (if you spell it that way) just blown out of existance now P/N deregistered who and how will the next club with internal issues be treated thats my question,, and realy did Mr Leach come with an agenda what ever it be. cheers Jim ps i dont know the man and i am not saying his agenda is good or bad. We will judge that when its known or a business plan for our industry put straight foreward to us in our magazine we pay for and members own, to think about and decide if thats the way we as an industry have to go or decide to go as the present staus quo, surely thats our choice or at least our input should be sought beforee its thrust apon us if thats the intention

Sorry, just so bl--dy frustrated by what has unfolded. There were proposals that would have enabled the club to move forward, the members were never shown this information. The majority of members haven't even seen the reports. If you were the GRNZ would you write a cheque and hand it over to the same people. How long would it take before you found yourself back in the same situation again?

I concur that the club has a long history and many good people have been involved in the past including Nancy. But for me a club is it's members and the people who come from all over to race at the track. The MGRC is just a name, so the club is deregistered, that doesn't prevent another new club from taking it's place. It's the people, the dogs, and the racing that are important, a name's just a name. Just another opinion.

Fair comment and point taken cheers Jim