RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Berri's challenge --yearling selection

Come on Berri --the bit about Princess Coup is a quote from the article about John Bromely which I asked Swynford if he could scan for us all. It has nothing to do with Synford's particular ideas on breeding except to show that at least one very successful person involved in racing and breeding takes a lot of notice of the pedigree ( among other things).

from Berri

"  I asked you Swynford to do something really simple and that was to nominate a yearling, based on your pedigree analysis, that hadn't yet raced, and divulge to us what it is so that we can track your theory. I'm not maliciously asking that you do this, more in terms of discovery in respect of your theories. Quite simple really. You going to take the bait?"

yes Berri I will take the bait, but I will not be entering your challenge as I don't believe making judgement on  "a" particular horse or in the case of your challenge "three" horses is an accurate guide to any theory.

But I will do better than your challenge. I will find what I think are the top 10 or 20 yearlings from each sale based on "my theories" and they can compete against the top 10 or 20 top priced lots from each sale.

I am assuming that the top 10 or 20 top priced lots from each sale will be the nicest looking individuals and from the most fashionable families so it should be an accurate test.

And no it is not a simple job, To firstly enter all the horses into my data base and then assess each one is at the very least a months work, 

I still think 3 choices out of 1400 odd horses is plenty for the Horsemen/women among us, to choose a decent horse.

Any more is just stroking egos of the "others".

Horsemen will always be horsemen just some are better than others, but I would always ask a horseman for advise over the "others".

Berri - I am not sure are you keeping a spreadsheet on these 'picks'? If so my horses are all named now - the Hallivien colt is called Simon Says trained/owned K T Myers, the Testella colt Harlook is in oz spelling, the Ardent Fire colt Here to Stay with Ralph Manning unplaced at its only trial.

Regards

Lot 204. $155,000 Oreilly/queen sabeel. Colt. Waikato stud - O'Brien

Thoroughbreds

Lot 278 . $200,000 Thorn park/Stella livia .Colt Trelawney. .ellerslie lodge B.heys

Lot 251. $80,000. Thorn park/shortblackmini. Colt. Esker lodge. McKay

Best of luck,better start syndicating :)

lost track of this comp :)

One of my picks, 'Splurge' ran 2nd at Te Teko trials over 1000m. looks like he'll make the grade - he was by far the most expensive of my selections but from a great family. I'll have to try and find out some more on my other two picks, and see what has happened to them.

Just reading through the Latest NZTM Newsletter and - hey Presto! - Here's a report on one of my selections, the Pins colt out of Etoile Centieme.

He's in Singapore, is named Chopin's Nocturne, and has now had 3 starts for an unplaced debut in the Singapore Golden Horseshoe, a 2nd and a dominant win last start by 41/5 lengths. His Michael Clements rates him very highly at this stage, "Possibly the best young horse in my yard" he is quoted as saying, in the article.

So that's all good! :)

Here's the actual article:

Chopin’s Nocturne (NZ) (Pins) went one better over

his last-start second by winning in dominant fashion

in the $75,000 Restricted Maiden race over 1200m on

Sunday.

The three-year-old son of Pins did not have the easiest of

introductions to life at Kranji. He was thrown in the deep end

for his debut run, lining up for the Group 2 Aushorse Golden

Horseshoe (1200m) on May 15, when he failed to impress

with an unplaced finish.

His last start was more encouraging, running a close

second to Lim’s Showcase (NZ) (Showcasing) on July 12 in

the Hello Chicago Stakes Open (1200m) in spite of having to

jump from the widest of gates.

There was no such problem this time. Having drawn better

in barrier number 5, the $8 favourite settled nicely with cover

in midfield and bided his time while the likes of Red Jewel

(Red Dazzler ) and Grey Gatsby (Exceed And Excel) led the

way.

As they approached the home turn, Chopin’s Nocturne

took up a good position out wide and made his move. An

excellent turn of foot around the 400m mark took him past

the leading pack and he continued to gallop forward towards

the winning post, leaving the rest of the field trailing in his

Chopin’s Nocturne waltzes

home at Kranji

“His last run was good but he was running after the

leading horses from out wide and ended up over-racing.

“I told Nunes to hold him back this time and I was

confident he would do well.

“I am really excited to see what else this horse can do. At

this stage, he is one of the best young horses in my stable, if

not the best.”

In his three outings to date, Chopin’s Nocturne has

brought home stakes earnings of around $55,000 for the

Jubilant Racing No 2 Stable.

wake.

With the win in the bag, the Michael

Clements-trained gelding eased down in

the final moments to cross the winning

line four-and-a-half lengths ahead of

second placed One More Achiever

(Onemorenomore). Magstock (NZ)

(Tavistock) was third a further length away.

The winning time was 1min 10.8secs

over 1200m on the Long Course.

Clements was not surprised by the

winning run made by Chopin’s Nocturne,

having already earmarked him as the one

to look out for in his yard.

“I am happy to see he is improving with

every run,” said Clements.

Race

Singapore TC Restricted Maiden S.

1200m.

Winner

Chopin’s Nocturne (NZ) 2012

Owners

Jubilant Racing No. 2 Stable

Trainer

Michael Clements (Singapore)

Breeding

by Pins (AUS ) out of Etoile Centieme by

Danasinga (AUS )

Breeder

Waikato Stud Ltd; Waikato; NZ

Sales

2014 National Yearling Sale - Select Sale

V: Waikato Stud Ltd, $115,000 P: Michael

Wallace B/stock

2014 Ready to Run Sale V: Prima Park,

$150,000 P: Michael J Clements

On 6/25/2014, 8:32:34, Kevan15 said:

Hi Berri, my picks are:

Lot 585, Sold for $32,000, bought by Hawtin Racing, Sire: Guillotine, Dam: La Montreux, Sex: Colt.

Lot 857, Sold for $46,000, bought by John Chalmers Bloodstock, Sire: Rip Van Winkle, Dam: Thunderchine, Sex: Filly.

Lot 1018, Sold for $97,500, bought by Phil Cataldo Bloodstock, Sire: Shocking, Dam: Crystalthecowgirl, Sex: Colt.

Well, all 3 of mine have now been named and raced, the Guillotine/La Montreux colt is called White Shadow and races in Singapore and has had 2 starts for no placings.

The Rip Van Winkle/Thunderchine filly is called Sakamoto and races in Western Oz, has done ok in a couple of trials, winning 1 and coming 2nd in another couple, but has now had 2 starts for no placings.

The Shocking/Crystalthecowgirl colt is named Antonio Guiseppe and is raced here in NZ by Murray Baker and won his first start at Avondale yesterday by nearly 3 lengths, looks very smart, nice to get a run on the board with one of my picks!

Anyone else have any of their picks getting to the races yet?

I will take one from each sale.

Premier :- Lot 312 filly Bernadini - To Many Diamonds.  220K  Purchased by Go Racing /  named Ruud Not Too  (Winner)

Select    :- Lot 1006 filly Rip Van Winkle - Clown Princess.95k  Purchased by Shaun Ritchie / named Promise To Pay, 5 starts ,2 Placings to date

Festival  - Lot 1226 colt Showcasing- Shades of Silk. 15k  Purchased by Nigel Tiley/ named showboy in NZ (stakes winner) now in Singapore.

My update;

Lot 919  Thorn Park  x Accompli  ( colt)  bought by N. Tanner Auckland

Named Mission Accomplished (NZ), won two trials. Sold to Hong Kong ( renamed Mission Possible)

Has had one unplaced run in HK.

Lot 1012 Roc de Cambes  x Consumer  ( filly)  went to  Christchurch

Had 2 seconds in trials in the autumn. Sold to Australia --named Consommateur

Lot 1015  Makfi  x Cotton  ( filly)  passed ( hopefully Gerry Harvey will race it )

Not named yet. Had first trial (unplaced) in November. with Nigel Tiley.

15 hours ago, Lloyd Vivian said:

Splurge wins his 3rd - a rating 75 over 1200m - from 6 starts, quite easily today at Hastings. Had to be patient with this bloke but looks like he might be worth the wait.

The gelding looks to have helped massively!

6 starts for 3 wins and a second with one of his wins being in a $7,000 race and 2 being in $8,000 races. Does look like he's in for a nice campaign but a long way to re-pay the $500K back!