RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Properispomenon

'Inspiration'

I despair...

You can't have any major sporting event happen these days without someone/some team bleating to the media that he/she/it will attempt to draw inspirtion from some totally-unrelated event.

Today's NZ Herald is a case in point:

'Forty-five years on, the All Blacks rugby players will tread the same soil as Sir Peter Snell hoping to draw inspiration from the multiple Olympic gold medallist's legendary deeds.

Assistant coach Wayne Smith and captain Richie McCaw both spoke proudly of Snell's impact ahead of Saturday's Bledisloe Cup test at the National Stadium, where they chase seven consecutive wins against the Wallabies.

To add to the occasion, Snell will be flown from his Texas base as a guest of honour for the test at the arena where he won gold in the 800m and 1500m at the 1964 Olympics.

His presence may help alleviate thoughts of complacency among the All Blacks, with the Bledisloe Cup already parcelled up and Saturday's test carrying more a feelgood factor of promoting rugby in Japan and the obvious financial benefits to both rugby unions.'

Sheesh...

Why stop at 45 years ago?

Why not go back to 1902 - when Richie McCaw's sister's cat's great great great great great great great mum got run over by that Christchurch tram.

'We'll dedicate ourselves to honouring Tiddles' memory...'

I watched re-runs of almost every episode of Baywatch that Pamela Anderson was in before she was over in NZ for the fashion show...

I was hoping to draw inspiration as to how I was going to end up naked in bed with her during her stay in NZ...

Needless to say even though I chased after her in a pair of Red Speedo's running in exactly the same sort of Macho style as The Hoff used to I didn't end up trying to emulate what "big" Tommy did with Pamela....

You are right Prop it doesn't really work

You are right Prop it doesn't really work

It's the same as thiss 'oh, it's the last career game for (Player X). We'll want to play well to give him a great send-off.'

In the real world, though, what happens?

'Oh, Bill Smith retires today. He's got a morning tea at 10, a pub lunch from 2-4 and we'll knock off at 4.30 for a few ales in the office. Love these retirement bashes - don't have to do any work all day!'

I got "so inspired" by a recent thread on the Thoroughbred Forum that I went out this morning and bought a "rug" for my next trip to "the Races!".

Now all I need is 5 mates.

:D

Its ridiculous though (all due respect to Peter Snell). Wayne Smith just seems to be that flowery, nambi-pambi type of coach who wants warm fuzzies in the squad. If they want inspiration go listen to John Walker for an hour or watch "The Mantis and the Cricket" when he interviews Bert Sutcliffe about the days play vs South Africa immediately after the Tangiwhai disaster. Inspiration that would make them run through rocks!

:D

Its ridiculous though (all due respect to Peter Snell).

Ah I like Peter. Well, Sir Peter now...

In 1965 he came to Taihape - we were in Waiouru at the time - on a speaking tour after his Tokyo double-gold.

Mum and Dad took me along and the drongo at the door said to me - I'd have been 12 or 13, can't remember what time of year it was - 'Would you like to ask Mr Snell a question?'

I gave him my best withering look and said something like 'Hell, no, we've come 20 miles to watch other people do that...'

All of which went way over the head of the door drongo. 'No', he said, very condesendingly, 'I meant we have questions already written so that youngsters like you can ask him something.'

Again the withering look - 'He's my hero. I know his record backwards, his times, his records. If I get to ask him anything I'll ask him a question of my choosing, okay?'

So, up Mr Snell gets, talks for about 20 minutes, illustrated with slides, real interesting...

'Are there any questions?'

Absolute silence from the hall.

No-one wanted to be first, lol.

Little kids were holding their pre-printed questions with 'What inspired you...?' and 'What colour is a gold medal?' and other like doltish questions...

So I stood up...

'Mr Snell, you've won 3 Olympic gold medals and you hold world records over 800 metres, 880 yards and One Mile. You've done it all. Except set a world record over 1500 metres. Or even attempt to. Why?'

'Oooh', Peter replied, 'I wasn't expecting that', ha...

And then he talked for about 5 minutes on the various reasons - him regarding himself as a halfmiler rather than a 1500 metre/Mile man, him never being asked to run over that distance - 'everyone wants me to do a mile' and him recognizing that the 1500 metre world record at the time was 'a pretty good record'...

I was in raptures, lol.

Finally he finished and asked for any further questions...

No-one piped up.

Who'd want to ask 'what colour is a gold medal?' after that, eh?

Ah I like Peter. Well, Sir Peter now...

In 1965 he came to Taihape - we were in Waiouru at the time - on a speaking tour after his Tokyo double-gold.

Mum and Dad took me along and the drongo at the door said to me - I'd have been 12 or 13, can't remember what time of year it was - 'Would you like to ask Mr Snell a question?'

I gave him my best withering look and said something like 'Hell, no, we've come 20 miles to watch other people do that...'

All of which went way over the head of the door drongo. 'No', he said, very condesendingly, 'I meant we have questions already written so that youngsters like you can ask him something.'

Again the withering look - 'He's my hero. I know his record backwards, his times, his records. If I get to ask him anything I'll ask him a question of my choosing, okay?'

So, up Mr Snell gets, talks for about 20 minutes, illustrated with slides, real interesting...

'Are there any questions?'

Absolute silence from the hall.

No-one wanted to be first, lol.

Little kids were holding their pre-printed questions with 'What inspired you...?' and 'What colour is a gold medal?' and other like doltish questions...

So I stood up...

'Mr Snell, you've won 3 Olympic gold medals and you hold world records over 800 metres, 880 yards and One Mile. You've done it all. Except set a world record over 1500 metres. Or even attempt to. Why?'

'Oooh', Peter replied, 'I wasn't expecting that', ha...

And then he talked for about 5 minutes on the various reasons - him regarding himself as a halfmiler rather than a 1500 metre/Mile man, him never being asked to run over that distance - 'everyone wants me to do a mile' and him recognizing that the 1500 metre world record at the time was 'a pretty good record'...

I was in raptures, lol.

Finally he finished and asked for any further questions...

No-one piped up.

Who'd want to ask 'what colour is a gold medal?' after that, eh?

:D Well done. Maybe you could do a master class for the Trackside presenters. :D

:D Well done. Maybe you could do a master class for the Trackside presenters. :D

Oh I could imagine those clowns...

'When did you think you had it won?'

'How do you feel?'

'Will you run on the final day?'

'How many laps is 1500 metres?'

and

'Excuse me, Mr Snell, do not stand between me and my camera!'

Oh I could imagine those clowns...

'When did you think you had it won?'

'How do you feel?'

'Will you run on the final day?'

'How many laps is 1500 metres?'