RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fernlea25

Roughie refund

I see the TAB has a "Roughie refund" promotion running tonight at the Christchurch Dogs whereby you get a refund if you backed the 2nd-placed dog for a win (in a single bet, on fixed odds), and the winner pays $12 or more on fixed odds.

The following excerpt from the TAB website:

Things you should know

• The winner must pay a Fixed Odds Dividend of $12 or more to set off the refund special
  • If there is a dead heat for second then both greyhounds will be refunded
  • This applies to individual Fixed Odds Win bets only. It does not apply to Tote bets
  • Multi bets are allowed. A refunded bet is considered a successful Multi leg at a dividend of $1.00

A couple of questions from me which hopefully someone can clarify:

1.  At what point must a dog be paying $12 or more on fixed odds for it to qualify as

"pay a Fixed Odds Dividend of $12 or more"?  

e.g. say number 7 wins and at the close it was paying $10 on fixed odds, but when I placed my bet it was paying $14, does this qualify?  If not, there's really nothing to stop the TAB making all the dogs $11 at the close of betting.  What about vice versa, i.e. it was paying $10 when I placed my bet, but ended up paying $14 at the close?  

2.   The last and 2nd last bullet points would seem to contradict each other.  How can it apply to individual bets only, but multi's are allowed?  Or are they just pointing out that one refund out of a whole multi won't result in a refund of the full bet?

I like the intention to have some promotions (even though I think this one is shit), but it would be nice if someone with a slightly analytical brain could read these promo's before they're released to make sure the grey areas or terms & conditions are adequately explained.

They could have made this one that if a $12 or more winner rolled home, then they pay out on win bets on the 2nd place dog as well (rather than just being a refund).  Dogs don't win and pay $12 or more on fixed odds very often in New Zealand, especially with the way the TAB bookmakers go about setting the odds... there's often not a single dog paying $12 or more in a race.

Cheers

" , but it would be nice if someone with a slightly analytical brain could read these promo's before they're released to make sure the grey areas or terms & conditions are adequately explained."

this failure is crystal clear window into their shallow trove of veneer professionalism :(