RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mcmissile

Stand Downs

I think the time has come that we have some clear rules about how long a dog gets stood down for.

Reading the stipes report from Manawatu today Cawbourne Tip has received a 3 day stand-down after needing stiches in a cut toe, 3 days!! 

This is essentially so it can race again on Friday if so desired by the trainer.

One of my dogs got 10 days a few weeks ago for a tiny split in a pad, which I thought was a bit excessive but had no problem with it as I wasn't intending on racing him until it was totally healed anyway.

I often see very small stand-down periods for dogs so they can basically be scratched without a penalty so they can race again whenever they like, and it seems it all depends on who you are.

How can a dog that has needed stitches only get a 3 day stand-down? The vet should know better and makes you wonder what he is actually doing at the track, obviously not looking after the welfare of the dogs if he thinks it's ok to race a dog with stitches in a toe 3 days after receiving them.

There needs to be rules that have to be followed by all trainers no matter how many dogs you have, and stand-down periods that are consistent throughout the country.

Whether or not you want to race a few days later shouldn't come into it.

I thought the vets on track had a sheet with minimum stand-down periods for specific injuries, do they not use these any more?

Luke and other's.

Why must people look for trouble when there isn't any?

He or She is/was the vet in charge if they give the dog 3,5,7,10,42 days who are you or me to judge?

luke you are reading a stipe's report,Did you see the dog?

Stitches or staples on a small cut can heal in a couple of days, so I see no problem, I'm sure if the dogs not right by then it wouldn't start.

My main point is I thought the minimum stand down period was 5 days, I've never come across a 3 day before just so you can race a few days later, might have well of just given none.

I just think there needs to be a bit more consistency, seems in the C.D that anything goes.

3 days seem a little too little don't you think? And especially for stitches. Maybe the dogs welfare is second best. I have had stitches come undone after a week so 3 days does seem to be bending the rules...Charlie isn't the best at stitching either, so 3 months to heal after a Boyce job seems appropriate haha. Experience rather than opinion.

It's funny how you can sit back and see pattern's emerge in regards to stand down's and how the periods have changed. You see trainer's scratch dog's when they have the reserves and wonder if it was only because they wanted there reserve to get a start, then you would read the stipe report and every single time it would say scratched due to diarhoea, 3 days stand down. The stipes (or power's that be) must of got wise to this and it's now mandatory 10 days stand down,  funny how cases of diarhoea have eased considerably! There's a new "injury" that's getting used now because the stand down will be only 3 days minimum not 10! 

From the stipes report~

http://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11273/stewards-report.aspx

"CAWBOURNE TIP which had been stood down for 3 days at Manawatu on 16.06.14 with suturing to a toe wound, was thoroughly examined and cleared fit to start in this event."

To me it's interesting that the other seven entrants either didn't get this "thouroughly" exam prior to racing, or the stipe didn't see it fit to let everyone know the other seven dogs had the same equal exam.

I see there is a dog in a distance race Thursday then is racing 520m Friday wonda if it got 4 days from palmy today so it can make feild up and race on Friday could be interesting to watch.

May have forgotten to withdraw from Friday as I think the one in question is a nice 600m dog and was suppose to be there but don't know any facts.

Time will tell I guess