RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crikeydick

NZ TAB acting like Corporate Cowboys

Great news from the punter's new best friend forever, Racing NSW CEO Peter V'Landys, that any wagering cowboy who closes or restricts punter's bets won't be allowed to accept bets on NSW racing.

What a hero.

Any odds in how long it will take NZTR to convince the NZ TAB to start behaving themselves?

At the moment they're behaving just like the Corporate Bookmaking Cowboys in the Northern Territory who have a licence to print money from that atrocious State Government.

The NZ TAB severely restrict bets or simply close accounts if they've had enough of winners at present as well. This is to the detriment of the NZ Racing Industry which survives from punter's hard work and long hours of studying form.

The wagering aspect of the racing industry is a defacto Financial Market and should be regulated as such. Not on the whim of some faceless suit at the TAB who decides whether he likes the cut of your jib and may or may not offer odds to their mates and not to others. Who would know at present without a regulated wagering environment?

If Wyatt Earp was here he'd be sorting a few lost souls out at the NZ TAB.

At present rails bookies in Australia have to accept a 5K loss on any bet yet the overseas owned Corporate Cowboys continually ban punters or severely restrict bets, just like our NZ cowboys. That's not a level playing field in anyone's thinking.

It's interesting the journos here, many of who are employed by the TAB, have been strangely silent. How is it in this modern society we allow losers but ban winners from this financial market then? It stinks, it's outrageous and it should be exposed in a fair minded society that NZ purports to be.

Our new working class hero is V'Landys, long may he live and long may the NZ TAB keep being reminded of his name and what he's done for the betterment of punters and racing's survival.

I can find plenty wrong with NZTAB but I suggest you be absolutely sure that NZTAB closes accounts because they are winners. They may cut back their exposure by reducing odds midstream but I would be surprised if accounts are closed without valid legal reason.

NZ TAB is a law to themselves and why would I want to bet on Fowler to make the top 5 in the USA Golf Open at 10s at the TAB when I can get 21s on Betfair

Unless you wine and dine with them , then you will gain VIP treatment and ring up for some juicer odds before the  fixed odds are released to the public

NZ TAB is a law to themselves and why would I want to bet on Fowler to make the top 5 in the USA Golf Open at 10s at the TAB when I can get 21s on Betfair

Unless you wine and dine with them , then you will gain VIP treatment and ring up for some juicer odds before the  fixed odds are released to the public

Spot on Johnyboy.....

Most on here will cut you down talking about Betfair.....most are too simple to understand the basics.

Well done with your top 5 bet...I too had a bit of luck this morning as well.

Backed Keegan Bradley for top 5 yesterday at odds of $36. Tab had him at $12????

I didn't get the full amount as he tied with a few other players...but turned $50 into $670.

If I had placed the same bet at the TAB....would have returned $220 odd bucks.....Mmmmmm.

I didn't have the same luck :( Went Johnson top 3, has a putt for solo second with 5 holes to go - leaves it short, laughs about it and then bogeys three straight to finish T4.

when I looked at that market Saturday dustin and Erik were the only two I could have on current form....but Erik was 40-1,tab fools

I fully admit I,m only a small punter...but put quite a bit of study in on the friday night.

What annoys me is anything with a chance on a Saturday morning, when fixed prices come out...

it seems, are way under the odds.

Maybe they have done the same study as me?...and framed the market accordingly?

But you,ll get 4 or 5 in the same race under the odds!

Sadly the TAB due to the "we know it all" attitude went down the wrong path 20 years ago.

From a business view point why cut out half the market. Put simply there are punters out there who would act like bookmakers instead of the TAB employing form analysts and taking all the risk.

Every participant should have the choice of being punter or bookmaker. Each being charged the usual takeout commission.

So thats Betfair you say.  Wrong Betfair went down the wrong path as well. There are alternatives to Betfair that pitch punter versus bookmaker made possible when the internet came into being.

Having a government sponsored agency ie TAB acting as bookmaker is reprehensible. The TAB should get back to basics. Get rid of all form analysts, bookmakers and allow punters to decide the market.

And you can prove this is happening???

Not sure about trainers ringing for better odds.....that would not be a good look. Mind you, sounds like a few are struggling, so maybe that is how some are paying their way.

Common knowledge that many big punters get better fixed odds than the rest of us.... this was one reason I got pissed off with the TAB....and now do most of my betting elsewhere.....

Great news from the punter's new best friend forever, Racing NSW CEO Peter V'Landys, that any wagering cowboy who closes or restricts punter's bets won't be allowed to accept bets on NSW racing.What a hero.Any odds in how long it will take NZTR to convince the NZ TAB to start behaving themselves?At the moment they're behaving just like the Corporate Bookmaking Cowboys in the Northern Territory who have a licence to print money from that atrocious State Government.The NZ TAB severely restrict bets or simply close accounts if they've had enough of winners at present as well. This is to the detriment of the NZ Racing Industry which survives from punter's hard work and long hours of studying form.The wagering aspect of the racing industry is a defacto Financial Market and should be regulated as such. Not on the whim of some faceless suit at the TAB who decides whether he likes the cut of your jib and may or may not offer odds to their mates and not to others. Who would know at present without a regulated wagering environment?If Wyatt Earp was here he'd be sorting a few lost souls out at the NZ TAB.At present rails bookies in Australia have to accept a 5K loss on any bet yet the overseas owned Corporate Cowboys continually ban punters or severely restrict bets, just like our NZ cowboys. That's not a level playing field in anyone's thinking.It's interesting the journos here, many of who are employed by the TAB, have been strangely silent. How is it in this modern society we allow losers but ban winners from this financial market then? It stinks, it's outrageous and it should be exposed in a fair minded society that NZ purports to be.Our new working class hero is V'Landys, long may he live and long may the NZ TAB keep being reminded of his name and what he's done for the betterment of punters and racing's survival.

Can't say I generally agree with much Peter V'Landys says but if he keeps his word on this he will indeed be my new best friend. What's his address so I can send him the letter from Martin Saunders saying the TAB have closed my account for commercial reasons so he can order them to stop wagering on NSW racing?!

lets start with the sycophantic cheerleader Rodley , can you imagine him questioning his employers disgraceful behaviour . Then then Guewin who seems to have bounced back after being kicked out for betting on tick. But most importantly because NZRB pays newspapers millions of dollars every racing journalist is indirectly employed by NZRB.

Do you not think given NZRB has a monopoly on betting in NZ plus incessantly whines about leakage that this subject deserves to be investigated thoroughly through the media or should the bankers just be allowed to do what they like ?

The TAB here is weak with odds,

I find its best to have an aussie in fact i have 2 and its very easy to do, 

I would say 85% of the time I can get better odds with others than NZ TAB,

So i just all at the 3 different markets and take the best, during the weekends i would say 95% not now through NZTAB

Also recently I wanted a 200 dollar fixed odds bet at NZTAB and my odds got changed, couldn't believe it,

lets start with the sycophantic cheerleader Rodley , can you imagine him questioning his employers disgraceful behaviour . Then then Guewin who seems to have bounced back after being kicked out for betting on tick. But most importantly because NZRB pays newspapers millions of dollars every racing journalist is indirectly employed by NZRB.

Do you not think given NZRB has a monopoly on betting in NZ plus incessantly whines about leakage that this subject deserves to be investigated thoroughly through the media or should the bankers just be allowed to do what they like ?

Exactly, Rodley like most racing journos is a multi tasker nowadays although Gearwin did wight an article in the Herald about the situation when the TAB admitted to their new found deception with no personal opinion.

Coppins, Neil Davis, John Jenkins are all part time editorial writers cum journos who have remained silent on this matter as they're all employed by the TAB.

To his credit Coppins did express disquiet about the matter when Stafford and Saunders appeared on his radio show.

Tell me munch, am I right in assuming the NZ TAB will be made to sign up to NSW's new directive or are they exempt do you think?

Exactly, Rodley like most racing journos is a multi tasker nowadays although Gearwin did wight an article in the Herald about the situation when the TAB admitted to their new found deception with no personal opinion.

Guerin also ignored my emails when I offered to provide him information showing what was said in his article you mention was incorrect and he never got back to me.....

Guerin also ignored my emails when I offered to provide him information showing what was said in his article you mention was incorrect and he never got back to me.....

Well I'm guessing he was in the process of re-negotiating his contract with the TAB at that stage.

I think you have the potential of becoming NZ's Richard Irvine who has run the successful campaign in Australia where he embarrassed the suits into acting.

A good start is the Minister for Ignoring Racing, Nath Guy, who even though he talks s l o w l y and acts even s  l  o  w  e  r  , needs to know what a rort the 'financial market' of Racing has become with the TAB monopoly.

Actually as an aside, I'm astounded Rodney Hide, the doyen of free enterprise, personal responsibility and silly ballroom dancing with the stars, spoke at the NZRB annual meeting, surely the last monopoly to fall in this anything goes country. 

nathan.guy@minister.govt.nz is his addy and tell him that having bookmakers in a 'financial market' requires competition so they can lay off for a start and that a financial market' also requires rules so that cowboy organisations like the corporate cowboys don't behave like 2 bit fraudsters and hubs for money laundering. 

A good example here is the recent 40k winning bet on a jockeys premiership.  As admitted by Mark Stafford on radio that he has a lady who always wins and that he allows her a small profit on her bets.  So putting 2 and 2 together, that 40k winner must either be a long term loser or is illegally laundering money through short priced winners with the public knowing the TAB heavily restricts winners.

Criminals don't care if they lose long term, as long as the money has been cleaned.

...and then Greg.Purcell@nzracing.co.nz he's apparently an ex pro punter and who would simply hate the idea that our TAB is behaving like the English run Corporate Cowboys up in the Northern Territory by severly restricting or in your case banning winners. 

Oh and maybe tell him arbing is a legitimate way to bet too and that only hopeless bookmakers with no idea would post markets that allow some punter to win like that.  Although if he's an ex pro he would already know that. 

Good luck and go forth Buzz Lightyear.

Well I'm guessing he was in the process of re-negotiating his contract with the TAB at that stage.

I think you have the potential of becoming NZ's Richard Irvine who has run the successful campaign in Australia where he embarrassed the suits into acting.

A good start is the Minister for Ignoring Racing, Nath Guy, who even though he talks s l o w l y and acts even s  l  o  w  e  r  , needs to know what a rort the 'financial market' of Racing has become with the TAB monopoly.

Actually as an aside, I'm astounded Rodney Hide, the doyen of free enterprise, personal responsibility and silly ballroom dancing with the stars, spoke at the NZRB annual meeting, surely the last monopoly to fall in this anything goes country. 

nathan.guy@minister.govt.nz is his addy and tell him that having bookmakers in a 'financial market' requires competition so they can lay off for a start and that a financial market' also requires rules so that cowboy organisations like the corporate cowboys don't behave like 2 bit fraudsters and hubs for money laundering. 

A good example here is the recent 40k winning bet on a jockeys premiership.  As admitted by Mark Stafford on radio that he has a lady who always wins and that he allows her a small profit on her bets.  So putting 2 and 2 together, that 40k winner must either be a long term loser or is illegally laundering money through short priced winners with the public knowing the TAB heavily restricts winners.

Criminals don't care if they lose long term, as long as the money has been cleaned.

...and then Greg.Purcell@nzracing.co.nz he's apparently an ex pro punter and who would simply hate the idea that our TAB is behaving like the English run Corporate Cowboys up in the Northern Territory by severly restricting or in your case banning winners. 

Oh and maybe tell him arbing is a legitimate way to bet too and that only hopeless bookmakers with no idea would post markets that allow some punter to win like that.  Although if he's an ex pro he would already know that. 

Good luck and go forth Buzz Lightyear.

I've communicated with Richard and he does a great job in Australia (for anyone interested check out http://fairwageringaustralia.com) but for reasons I'm not going to go into here I cannot lead a public campaign like he does.

I have taken action behind the scenes though (and will continue to), including a recent case I took to the Commerce Commission regarding the TAB behavior.  It is rather frustrating thought when I had (in my opinion) put together a reasonable case and the only formal response I got was "The Commission does not regulate the TAB, and as a private company they can run their business how they see fit." and they wouldn't enter into further discussion on the matter.  

I've communicated with Richard and he does a great job in Australia (for anyone interested check out http://fairwageringaustralia.com) but for reasons I'm not going to go into here I cannot lead a public campaign like he does.

I have taken action behind the scenes though (and will continue to), including a recent case I took to the Commerce Commission regarding the TAB behavior.  It is rather frustrating thought when I had (in my opinion) put together a reasonable case and the only formal response I got was "The Commission does not regulate the TAB, and as a private company they can run their business how they see fit." and they wouldn't enter into further discussion on the matter.  

The TAB is a private company? Yeahh right.