RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

John Banks - convict

Looking forward to the cartoons & comic strips to come out.

Plenty of fodder out there for the creative types to let there juices flow.

Will he be striped of his honors from Her Majesty?

Would he still be allowed to be a Member of Parliament if he was in the UK?

How many recall that once upon a time he was Minister of Police?

& The Mayor of Auckland?

Will he

ever be allowed back on a Race course now he is a convicted criminal or is that against the Rules of Racing?

Seems the Govt.(National Party) will maintain John Banks as an M.P ...If he were of any other persuasion he would be GONE!!!

Seems awfully quiet , No kick backs from anyone ....

goldfish-banks.jpg?w=490&h=390

I'm just looking at Police 10/7 right now Jack , violence , armed robbery (Case No.2) , tune in now  to TV 2 .  Case No 3  Mongrel Mob Member  , Dangerous should not be  approached ,  Case No. 5   Dangerous , wanted for numerous violence related charges .....Ohhh the list goes on and on and on .  Check it out Jack

Hardly surprising that Banks is now a convicted criminal. After all he has convict blood coursing through his veins.

How Johnny boy can stand by him through all of the crap is eye-raising. Does criminal Banks have pictures of Johnny in a compromising position perhaps?

286a006004cd65d00f2cceaf580db8fd44f7befa

I'm just looking at Police 10/7 right now Jack , violence , armed robbery (Case No.2) , tune in now  to TV 2 .  Case No 3  Mongrel Mob Member  , Dangerous should not be  approached ,  Case No. 5   Dangerous , wanted for numerous violence related charges .....Ohhh the list goes on and on and on .  Check it out Jack

This country is govern by bigger crooks SS...This is only small fry , check it out ss...

Iam not sure if Banks is guilty or not ,but i know that i would be pissed off if a judge took the word of a convicted fraudster and a mens magazines cover girl over my wife.What i want to know is how many convicts has this judge allowed out on bail only to see them commit greater crimes.Are judges answerable to anyone.Can they be sued for calling Banks wife a liar in a round about way.

The person who comes off worse in all of this is John Key. Over the years he has stood by his MP's even when they have clearly been exposed as lying crooks. Now Banks has been found guilty of a serious charge that reflects badly on him and our political system. Key could take a moral stand and earn the respect of many kiwi's by dumping Banks immediately. Instead he intends using Banks vote for his own gain despite what Banks has now been exposed for. In other words Key will again overlook the offending if he can benefit from the offender. That action devoid of integrity and not worthy of a boy scout leader let alone the leader of a country.

Updated5:33 PM Sunday Jun 8, 2014

John Banks' Parliamentary career comes to an end this Friday. 
Act MP John Banks has announced his resignation from Parliament, effective from this Friday.

The Epsom MP made his decision after being found guilty last Thursday of filing a false donations declaration for the Auckland mayoral race in 2010.

"I have given my heart and soul over four decades to making a worthwhile contribution to this country," he said in a statement. "I have always endeavored to do the right thing. Consequently I am saddened at this turn of events."

Act Party leader Jamie Whyte is thought to have wanted his resignation but friends of Banks say he was likely to have resigned anyway to prevent further damage to Act and National.

The move means Banks will avoid being forced out of Parliament by a conviction.

The judge held off entering a conviction last Thursday until sentencing on August 1 because Banks' lawyer, David Jones QC, gave notice he wanted to apply for a discharge without conviction.

It is highly unlikely a by-election will be held in Epsom to fill his vacancy.

Because the vacancy falls within six months of a general election, a by-election can be avoided with the support of 75 per cent of the Parliament.

Prime Minister John Key said tonight: "Mr Banks' resignation was the right thing to do under the circumstances."

"Given the proximity of the resignation to the General Election on September 20, the Government intends to seek Parliament's support not to hold a by-election in the Epsom seat, and will be taking a motion to the House in the first sitting week back."

Labour leader David Cunliffe said Mr Banks' resignation was inevitable "but should have come a lot sooner".

He criticized Mr Key for having described Mr Banks as an "honest" man, after the verdict on Thursday.

"The public has a right to expect the highest standards of its elected officials. The Prime Minister has presided over a serious decline in those standards."

"This Government's mandate has rested on a man found guilty of a serious electoral offence; on Peter Dunne, stripped of his ministerial warrants after he lost the trust of the Prime Minister having allegedly leaked a classified GCSB report; and on a Maori Party cravenly propping up the Government."

Banks said he would write to Parliament's Speaker, David Carter, tomorrow advising him of his resignation from Friday.

"This timeframe allows a number of constituency, administrative and staffing matters in Epsom and Wellington to be dealt with over the next few days," he said.

"I have been privileged to serve the people of Epsom and New Zealand at both a local level and in Wellington."

Banks is a former National MP and minister and former Mayor of Auckland, who was beaten by Len Brown in 2010.

He joined Act in concert with former National leader Don Brash in 2011 after Dr Brash conducted a coup against Act leader and former Epsom MP Rodney Hide.

Banks became the leader of Act in 2011 when he was the only Act MP elected.

Banks stepped down from the Act leadership in December last year after he was committed for trial on the election donations issue and he announced his intention to retire at the 2011 election.

Dr Whyte was elected leader in February and David Seymour was selected to contest Epsom for Act.

Banks' resignation will not affect National's ability to lead the minority Government.

With 59 MPs in the 121-seat Parliament, National needs 61 votes to govern now and when the House is reduced to 120 MPs on Friday.

National has the support of three MPs in the Maori Party and one MP in United Future, still giving it a comfortable majority.

Justice Edwin Wylie found Mr Banks guilty of filing a false return in relation to two donations of $25,000 made by Kim Dotcom's Megastuff company which were signed off by Mr Banks as anonymous.

At sentencing on August 1 he could face a fine of up to $10,000 and a prison sentence of up to two years although Justice Wylie said he would also consider home detention, and an application for a discharge without conviction.

- APNZ

I knew a bloke, who served time for murder,
He talked a lot of shite most of the time but he told me about an aspect of his life that might have been factual, maybe not.
He said he was convicted and sentenced for murder and was serving his time.
Banks was campaigning for tougher sentences and once he was Minister of police he appealed a bunch of murder convictions and gave this guy another 5 years
On one hand this guy was a ruthless killer who needed to be locked up but on the other hand Im not sure if its reasonable to use the vulnerable as a ladder.
Others may be able to shed some light on this part of history, fact or fiction???  

I met John Banks in 1991 when the National Government were in the process of discrediting the Ministry of Transport to clear the way for them to be swallowed up by the NZ Police in 92. Banks "seemed" like a personable sort of man. Not long after I learned the reality of the situation that he will say anything true or untrue if it advanced his goal or the goal of his party. Many of us witnessed first hand what could only be described as bare faced lies. That exact same situation was repeated by East Coast Bays MP Murray McCully the man charged with discrediting the MOT. Unsure if it was just two men who wouldn't know the truth if they fell over it or it's just what politicians do. The lies and deceit were limitless and even extended deep into our Justice system. The one thing that has perplexed me ever since is why they have the word "Honourable" in their title. The fact a judge has recently found Banks guilty is very encouraging as it shows not everyone is in the pockets of these crooks. That is great news for NZ

Murder trial witness: 'I could tell he was really hurting'

By Sam Hurley -HAWKES BAY TODAY
2:32 PM Tuesday Jun 10, 2014
SCCZEN_A_040811SPLWRIGHT_300x200.jpgJohnny Wright

A murder accused's former partner says she remembers the "pain" in a dying man's eyes the day before his death, after he was brutally beaten with a Maori war weapon.

Steven Tiwini Rakuraku, 39, is facing 12 charges, including the alleged kidnapping and murder of Johnny Charles Wright, who disappeared on June 21, 2011.

The 50-year-old's body was found in a shallow grave after police acted on information when Rakuraku's partner "came clean", leading detectives to search a rural property near Eskdale two months after his disappearance.

Rakuraku denies all the charges against him.

His 40-year-old former partner continued her evidence today during the Napier High Court trial and recalled the last days of Mr Wright's life.

She said the Hastings man was kept in "complete darkness" by Rakuraku at a Caroline Rd home, which was accessible only by a hole in the wall to an adjoining flat.

"We both had to do as Mr Rakuraku instructed us to do ... if we didn't do what he asked, Mr Rakuraku would lose control."

She said in the days leading to Mr Wright's death she attempted to give him basic medical care and dress his wounds.

"I would get a needle and a thread and I would start stitching Johnny's split ears together."

"I saw the taiaha attack," she said.

Rakuraku used the wooden Maori war weapon, which she described was about 1.4m in length, until it "snapped into two" from "pelting Johnny".

"After the taiaha attack, Johnny found it difficult to stand. When he walked he dragged one of his legs," she said. "I wouldn't do anything. Mr Rakuraku doesn't like to be disobeyed, he would turn on you."

She explained to the court that there was blood splattered throughout the flat as a result of the beatings Mr Wright endured.

She said it was a "daily routine" for Rakuraku to wake up and "take out his anger" on Mr Wright or herself.

Crying in the witness box, she remembered saying to Mr Wright: "I'll try get us out of here."

"I was too afraid that Mr Rakuraku would turn up as we tried to leave," she said, explaining why the pair never attempted to escape.

She recalled the time Mr Wright's parents visited the flat, looking for their eldest son just days before he died, but Rakuraku turned them away.

"Johnny and I would be in the back," she said. "[Rakuraku] would then get Johnny to call his parents and say sorry I'd missed them but he had to get back to work."

The 40-year-old said she last saw Mr Wright alive in the back yard of the flat, his health deteriorating to the point he couldn't talk.

"I could tell by his body language he was in pain. As I said he was dragging his right leg. He had no strength to walk.

"The look in his eyes, I could tell he was really hurting. His eyes just said it all. He really needed medical attention." The next morning she said she woke at 6am to Rakuraku insisting they return some library books.

"As I lay there in the bed, Mr Rakuraku went through the hole [in the wall]. I heard him yelling at Johnny 'get up, get up'."

"All I heard was a big thud and it was just complete silence after that."

Rakuraku's former partner will give further evidence this afternoon as the trial continues.

Yesterday, the 40-year-old said she saw Rakuraku beat Mr Wright "on many occasions" at a Warwick Rd house and witnessed him wiping down the walls with his own shirt, cleaning away the blood.

She said Rakuraku utilised a "martial arts style" and kick boxing moves to "beat the s*** out of Johnny".

Since the start of the trial Rakuraku has represented himself after he fired his lawyer, Russell Fairbrother QC.

However, Justice Williams appointed an amicus curiae (friend of the court), consisting of Mr Fairbrother and co-counsel zzz Lafferty.

This has restricted Rakuraku from cross-examining witnesses that are also complainants, such as his former partner.

The Crown's prosecution is led by Mr Manning and Jo Reilly.