RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
newbie85

LETTER TO THE BOSSES OF NZ RACING

If we as a group were to write a letter to the CEO's etc of NZTR, NZRB and Racing Clubs of New Zealand what questions would you put forward.

I'll start the ball rolling

NZRB

Who much has been spent on Triple Trio ?. Please include all cost re Advertising,Promotional, Guaranteeing Pools etc

Who came up with the TV Commercial using Seabiscuit when we have our own household names re Sunline, Bonecrusher etc

Can you please tell us the takeout % per $ on this betting option (I here differenet figures)

At what point will you admit that it is a failure and stop wasting funds guaranteeing pools

Are you embarresed by its performance. I read the press release that this would be a MILLION DOLLARS every week.

You talk about "leakage" from NZ yet you go on about the importance of securing Overseas Punters

NZTR

Who came up with the idea of giving up Sunday Racing and have racing on a Monday and Tuesday

Has this been a disaster and will someone apologise for it being one

How much has been spent this season sending people to Conferences etc overseas.

What was learnt/achieved from sending 12 people to Hong Kong recently and when will we see the benefits

When are Stakes going to return to a level that gives an Owner a "chance" of a return.

When will "free racing" return

When will owners be paid (a starters fee) for supplying you a product to hold race meetings

How are you going to get new owners involved in racing

When will you start employing people who want racing in this Country to succed

CEO CJC

What work was done to your track while it was closed for racing.

Was it completed and if not what were the reasons

If I'm correct why was the front straight not done

How much was spent and who paid for it

When do you intend to finish this work

To All CEO

What are you doing to get more people back oncourse

What are you doing to make an owner enjoy his day watching his horse race

When will clubs build facilities that allow owners to see there horses on raceday (not allowed in stable area)

Don't forget the TV's

Just a few to get the ball rolling

who funds the gambling 0800654655 hotline adverts for problem gamblers on TV?

Is having wall to wall e.g 5000 more races televised a year to bet on, not adding to addictive gamblers probs?

and the wrong way for the industry to be headed?

I for one prefer quality not quantity!...watch and bet is good (but arn,t we entitled to know what the end plan/strategy is?)

I agree all the questions you ask deserve answering Newbie...Hopefully a CEO responds on here...Good PR for them.

One of my major moans is the lack of marketing of meetings to return numbers to the track. 

Guest 2Admin2

Please publish the business case for outsourcing the broadcasting and production of races.

What has or will be saved by canning Freeview?

What was the cost/benefit analysis undertaken?

Dears Sirs,

Being one of the confusables could you please direct me to be the the portion of the NZTR website that contains all the reports submitted by attendees at the various overseas conferences particularly the Asian conference recently held in Hong Kong.

Did the term 'takeout' come to someone's mind while they were in the local Chinese takeaway?  :D

Possibly one of the FF bookies late to the office , overheard by Heiracy phoning for a Pizza...

Well you know Von Small, wherever the term came from, you can guarantee the term 'leakage', came from watching too many sanitary pad adverts.

How long before leakage freakage is in the Oxford dictionary, described as the horror at an accidental, non-contained discharge from the female genitalia :lol:

More like, derived from too many trips to the loo, at a Petone office piss-up! 

So the Ad Agency had some "highly regarded people" ( usually by themselves )....so what Hesi ???

I've worked with plenty of them......that does not guarantee every campaign to be a success....and this one is a dog.

Hesi, your answers for the most part make sense however in your constant reference to "business" you make the Racing Board sound like a private company when in fact they are the controlling body of an industry. I wonder if this talk of "business practices" is really applicable or carries any weight if few or none of the Board are not stakeholders in the industry whereas in private business most board members or board of directors would have a direct investment in the "company". The moment things, as usually happens start to go (more) pear-shaped, these Board members will be off to the next trough at Apple & Pear Board or Kiwifruit Board or Meat Export Board, won't they. They won't stick around and do their utmost to find a solution which they might if their livelihood was invested in it. This is not a dig at you but an observation of one of the basic flaws of the make-up of the Racing Board.

Unfortunately they don't even seem to be trying to close the stable door even though so much has bolted.     It is still swinging and more and more are getting out.      One day perhaps someone will decide to tackle the mammoth problem which has been allowed to happen although I think it will stay where it presently lies - in the too hard basket.      Yes, perhaps it's good for the image to roll out more and more exotic bet types but I think it has now been proved these haven't worked (largely) so I think the pruning shears need to be applied and the sooner the better.    Until there is a dramatic turnaround I believe prudent management of the tried and true is the only avenue they have - afterall would the majority of us miss such options as the triple trio or the turbo quaddies etc.     Perhaps a bit of resistance to start with but everything would settle down and the punter would no doubt carry on with what was there and not miss the ones that had been largely unpopular and dispensed with.

Hesi, not sure if your question was for me but I agree, it can't be sustained indefinitely. Ensuring the racing industry survives to meet another decade should be their paramount concern right now.

So in times like we face now"Why is the wage Bill climbing to an unsustainable level and with NO indication of leveling off???

So in times like we face now"Why is the wage Bill climbing to an unsustainable level and with NO indication of leveling off???

Not true Midget , see Q+A page 7 of the latest thoroughbred racing monthly .

Core operating costs are being held at 2011 levels for the last 3 years.

Guest 2Admin2

Core operating costs are being held at 2011 levels for the last 3 years.

NZRB wage and salary costs haven't been held

Yep it was mean't for you, but had hoped anyone familiar with the legislative background and set up of the Racing Act 2003 could answer.

I have copied the objectives and function of the NZRB from the Racing Act below

Objectives of Board

• The objectives of the Board are—

• (a)to promote the racing industry; and

• ( B)to facilitate and promote racing betting and sports betting; and

• ©to maximise its profits for the long-term benefit of New Zealand racing.

Functions of Board
    • (1)The functions of the Board are—

• (a)to develop policies that are conducive to the overall economic development of the racing industry, and the economic well-being of people who, and organisations which, derive their livelihoods from racing:

• ( B)to determine the racing calendar each year, and issue betting licences, under Part 5:

• ©to conduct racing betting and sports betting, and make rules relating to betting, under Part 6:

• (d)to distribute funds obtained from betting to the racing codes in accordance with sections 16 and 17:

• (f)to develop or implement, or arrange for the development or implementation of, programmes for the purposes of reducing problem gambling and minimising the effects of that gambling:

• (g)to undertake, or arrange for the undertaking of, research, development, and education for the benefit of New Zealand racing:

• (h)to use its resources, including financial, technical, physical, and human resources, for purposes that, in the opinion of the Board, will directly or indirectly benefit New Zealand racing:

• (i)to keep under review all aspects of racing and to advise the Minister of those aspects, either on its own initiative or at the request of the Minister:

• (j)any other functions that it is given by or under this Act or any other Act.

(2)In carrying out its functions, the Board must—

• (a)comply with the principles of natural justice; and

• ( B)exhibit a sense of social responsibility by having regard to the interests of the community in which it operates.

The whole function and purpose of the Racing board, which administers it's money making arm The TAB, is all to do with Racing, yet increasingly they are drawing their revenue from non-Racing wagering.

I don't really get it.

For example, they will derive a huge amount of profit from the upcoming World Football Cup, yet by the Act, it is for the benefit of Racing.

Sports betting is for the benefit of racing .

No different to any modern business , petrol stations used to sell just petrol , these days food , coffee , firewood etc etc, these extra sales improve the profits.

For racing sports betting is a good thing because it's profiting from people who may not gamble on racing but will have a flutter on other sports.

The three racing codes will get the profits.

Fasthorse, although I'm an outsider looking in, I can't help but be disturbed by the many postings on here regarding the state of NZ racing and that people like yourself are in constant damage control.

If the populace is unhappy, does not common sense prevail and issues are looked at? In a democracy this is mandatory.

I'm a newcomer to NZ racing by way of ownership, although I have links to the country by birth and have served my apprenticeship there my only knowledge of racing is by way of Sky here in Oz and by reading worthwhile e-publications such as Racecafe and  The Informant, and of course by accessing the NZ Racing website.

I'm no fool [others may say otherwise] and I'm concerned that NZ racing is heading down a pathway of destruction with no viable upward tangent on the horizon.

Should I keep investing in NZ and it's young trainers by sending them racing stock? If so why? I've put my money where my mouth is by sending our mare across to be served by a NZ sire and to foal and have her progeny race there. We have also bought yearlings in NZ and left them with NZ trainers.

We knew what pitfalls were awaiting, no one held guns to our head, but we also thought common sense would kick in and an angry and restless industry would be listened to.

If I ran my business the way NZ racing is run I would be short term destined. I have a global company and have two of the largest sports related brands as clients. We have listened to them, we have grown with them, and followed good, sound business protocols with a view to long term sustainability.

Compared to NZ Racing we are minnows, but we are also in the black, have yearly growth that is both healthy and fortunate.

We listened when we had to, we took notes, and we acted.

The most concerning thing we see before us is the lack of consultation with the relevant racing industry servants. Purely for survival this should be addressed, but for growth and for prosperity it's imperative that at least the trainers assoc, the owners assoc and a representative from the public sector, those that invest via the TAB should be consulted on the way forward.

Who you report to out the Hutt I do not know, but to be sure, overseas investors such as I will vote with our feet if NZ continues on the downward spiral, we have options, but the poor buggers that get up in the morning and throw a bridle on and lead their charges over to the track need respecting and encouragement, and noboby should know that better than your good self.

Don't be naughty 2Admin2,

I quoted NZTR not NZRB .

NZRB expenses are less important to galloping than NZTR expenses .

In the KPMG report done for NZRB and i know it is not NZTR,It states that staff expenditure has risen from 37m in 2008 to 53m in in 2013.They say this due to investment in Capability and related one off restructuring cost.

Fasthorse, although I'm an outsider looking in, I can't help but be disturbed by the many postings on here regarding the state of NZ racing and that people like yourself are in constant damage control.

If the populace is unhappy, does not common sense prevail and issues are looked at? In a democracy this is mandatory.

I'm a newcomer to NZ racing by way of ownership, although I have links to the country by birth and have served my apprenticeship there my only knowledge of racing is by way of Sky here in Oz and by reading worthwhile e-publications such as Racecafe and  The Informant, and of course by accessing the NZ Racing website.

I'm no fool [others may say otherwise] and I'm concerned that NZ racing is heading down a pathway of destruction with no viable upward tangent on the horizon.

Should I keep investing in NZ and it's young trainers by sending them racing stock? If so why? I've put my money where my mouth is by sending our mare across to be served by a NZ sire and to foal and have her progeny race there. We have also bought yearlings in NZ and left them with NZ trainers.

We knew what pitfalls were awaiting, no one held guns to our head, but we also thought common sense would kick in and an angry and restless industry would be listened to.

If I ran my business the way NZ racing is run I would be short term destined. I have a global company and have two of the largest sports related brands as clients. We have listened to them, we have grown with them, and followed good, sound business protocols with a view to long term sustainability.

Compared to NZ Racing we are minnows, but we are also in the black, have yearly growth that is both healthy and fortunate.

We listened when we had to, we took notes, and we acted.

The most concerning thing we see before us is the lack of consultation with the relevant racing industry servants. Purely for survival this should be addressed, but for growth and for prosperity it's imperative that at least the trainers assoc, the owners assoc and a representative from the public sector, those that invest via the TAB should be consulted on the way forward.

Who you report to out the Hutt I do not know, but to be sure, overseas investors such as I will vote with our feet if NZ continues on the downward spiral, we have options, but the poor buggers that get up in the morning and throw a bridle on and lead their charges over to the track need respecting and encouragement, and noboby should know that better than your good self.

Out of time at the moment but a couple of early comments.

Consultation , plenty of it , NZTR is obliged to hold regular forums with owners/trainers , I forgot to register for the last one but went along anyway only to be told on arrival it was cancelled due to a lack of interest.

As for this website , don't pay to much attention to it , it's a largely a forum for the perennial wingers.

A further insight into the strength of the dissent is the result of the trainers unions survey , about 700 eligible participants , only 72 bothered to take part.

There is a cure for racings woes but that requires radical change, something that most want as long as it's some one else that changes.

Clearly things could be better but racing has always been difficult, what every body needs is a fasthorse.

Plenty more but out of time.

Core operating costs are being held at 2011 levels for the last 3 y

If you take the cost of running the JCA which NZTR DID PAY 25% in it's running costs and now is a separate identity you can argue that NZTR wages costs have indeed increased as they now to not incur that cost and yet they still say there is no increase,Work that out Fasthorse.

Out of time at the moment but a couple of early comments.

Consultation , plenty of it , NZTR is obliged to hold regular forums with owners/trainers , I forgot to register for the last one but went along anyway only to be told on arrival it was cancelled due to a lack of interest.

As for this website , don't pay to much attention to it , it's a largely a forum for the perennial wingers.

A further insight into the strength of the dissent is the result of the trainers unions survey , about 700 eligible participants , only 72 bothered to take part.

There is a cure for racings woes but that requires radical change, something that most want as long as it's some one else that changes.

Clearly things could be better but racing has always been difficult, what every body needs is a fasthorse.

Plenty more but out of time.

NZ is a small country, it will remain that way with thinking and theories like that Fasthorse. Do you not consider that the small roll up, lack of interest, call it what you like is because there is a no confidence motion being mooted?…….you can only kick a stray dog for so long, eventually he will bite, and in some cases savage…….there is no more dangerous sight than a wounded animal…….From where we sit it appears NZ Racing is more than wounded.

I will reitterate Fasthorse, we have invested in good old NZ, why we ask ourselves, we can stay here and race for heaps more, the owner is made to feel welcome raceday, there are subsidies, yes it's still expensive, but hey, the kid that straps my horse here earns about 800 bucks a week, more if she does racedays….so we know that a good earn comes with a price…….but over there the kids earn a pittance, trainers even less in many cases, the old cow cocky with the ute and float isn't the norm anymore over here, maybe west of Dubbo or Tamworth, but in NZ it should be that reward comes with effort and that's not the case no matter how you gild the lily.

We will persevere for another year, living in hope that the boss in Petone instills change, it will cost us money, but when we made the decision to try and help a young trainer, to travel over and watch our horse race, to maybe seek out some land and run some horses for self interest with the flow on for others as is the nature of the beast, it can only happen if we remain enthusiastic.

To do that Apathy has to disappear, and accept that change is inevitable, proactive beats reactive Fasthorse, to reach the pinnacle one has to risk avalanches, a snowball can become an avalanche and sweep us all off the racing mountain. None of us wants that, so working for a positive outcome should be the goal, united……..why is that difficult?

I get across to NZ often, happy to discuss our grievances with the PTB……anytime, my wife recently went into the offices in Petone looking for a rego form, only to be told she should have done it on-line……..you should have seen her face when she came out, we nearly lost her to NZ racing, she really did want to take her bat and ball and bugger off…….it's the attitude you see, if the receptionsist is like that, well the old saying is, ''the buck stops at the top''.

Anyway, unless the decision makers get involved, it's all going nowhere…….we can only hope……..can't we?