RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Properispomenon

'Friday Night Lights' Revisited

slb, I remember some time back you mentioning that a movie had been made of one one my fave sporting books, the brilliant 'Friday Night Lights' about US High School Gridiron.

Still haven't seen the movie - it's on my 'To Get' list, though - but I thought of it all again when reading this, albeit about basketball, in today's SMH:

It's most guys' secret fantasy, but pretending to be six years younger in order to go back to school and dominate sports can only end in turmoil.

Jerry Joseph can tell you that from behind bars, where he sits after being charged with fraud.

Joseph, 22, posed as a 16-year-old basketball phenom who led Texas's Permian High School team to the state play-offs.

Now the school, which inspired the book and movie 'Friday Night Lights', may have to forfeit its season.

''Everyone just thought he was a big guy,'' Permian senior football player Steven Pipes said. ''He played the part good, skipping down the hallways acting goofy like a 16-year-old.''

Suspicions about the player's identity first arose when three Florida basketball coaches familiar with a former player named Guerdwich Montimere recognised him last month at an amateur tournament.

Montimere, a naturalised US citizen from Haiti, graduated from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale in 2007.

School police and immigration agents confirmed Montimere's identity on Tuesday and when confronted, he confessed.

Guest Bruce M
I think its actually a Tv Series.

The TV series is based on the movie SLB

TV series or movie, whatever: I missed 'em both...

How is it, in a world that offers 'Coro St.', 'Dancing With The Stars', 'Masterchef', 'Lost', 'Learn How Not To Pay Rates With Terry S', 'Celebrity Turkey Basting', 'Ellen', 'What Your Cop Did On His Patrol Last Night', 'Let's Rearrange That Neighbour's Bloody Awful Garden For Him While He's Down The Cossie' and other god-awful programming, I manage to miss quality programming like FNL, eh?

I dunno, after the Revolution, the TV channels I control will have programmes like:

Monday:

6am - Noon - Greatest horse races on which Properispomenon made money

Noon - 6pm - Highlights of all five of Liverpool's Champions Cup/League wins

6pm - Midnight - Highlights of all the rugby games ever played that involve Phil Waugh's ugly mug being touched up in any small way.

Etc etc