RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Lessons from the Jewels

For me the biggest downer for this years format proved to be - too many horses!    Obviously the mobile has been asked or instructed to go flat out at the start so that the field is at full speed to assist in setting records.     I thought the mad scramble at full speed into the first bend, which not far away from the despatch point, could well have contributed to the incidents which occurred at this stage of the race.   I really think that if the hierarchy want these records set and a day of spectacular racing the field need to be reduced to 10 (7 & 3) or 11 (7 & 4).   Forget inviting the Aussies which did place pressure on field size (1 more this year than last year at Ashburton) - there is so much end of season racing that as we saw they don't need/want to come anyway and if they did all they need to do is pop over and qualify which if the horse is good enough wouldn't take many weeks anyway.  The stipes report mentions the odd horse didn't maintain it's position up to the gate - perhaps the pace was just too much for them.   As "they" say, you never know till you try.    I hope HRNZ in their wash down consult the drivers who participated as they surely are the ones who would know best.    And not just 2 or 3 drivers, but the whole contingent whether or not they were parties to incidents or not.    Perhaps a simple question and answer form sent to all the Jewels drivers could well be sufficient.   I may be entirely wrong with my observations but so what!!

I think too on course attendance was down on 2 years ago - plenty of room in the "old" stand.    

Just another thought - was the Trackside (radio) outfit really behind the day.    I drove down from Auckland and had Radio Trackside on and between around 7-45 to 8-45 they interviewed 4 or 5 trainers - all Thoroughbred trainers.   Had brekkie in Huntly then and when I resumed my drive the radio was pumping Sports Betting - Ice Hockey, American Football, you know all the really relevant stuff, and apart from an occasional comment from Early & Gain earlier you wouldn't know the Jewels were actually on that day.    I couldn't help wondering if that would be the same situation on Auckland or Wellington galloping cups days.     I also seem to remember in the past, Radio Trackside was broadcast on the morning from on track (I stand corrected if I am wrong) but certainly no hype on the radio this year.   

would like to think they are above that sort of BS eljay

I would plug for Auckland and do massive promotions to get "newbies" there. Twilight meting with wining/dining/dancing thereafter -promote the industry

Nelson, as it is a great holiday destination for Queens Birthday and have a super super underutilised track

For me the biggest downer for this years format proved to be - too many horses!    Obviously the mobile has been asked or instructed to go flat out at the start so that the field is at full speed to assist in setting records.     I thought the mad scramble at full speed into the first bend, which not far away from the despatch point, could well have contributed to the incidents which occurred at this stage of the race.   I really think that if the hierarchy want these records set and a day of spectacular racing the field need to be reduced to 10 (7 & 3) or 11 (7 & 4).   Forget inviting the Aussies which did place pressure on field size (1 more this year than last year at Ashburton) - there is so much end of season racing that as we saw they don't need/want to come anyway and if they did all they need to do is pop over and qualify which if the horse is good enough wouldn't take many weeks anyway.  The stipes report mentions the odd horse didn't maintain it's position up to the gate - perhaps the pace was just too much for them.   As "they" say, you never know till you try.    I hope HRNZ in their wash down consult the drivers who participated as they surely are the ones who would know best.    And not just 2 or 3 drivers, but the whole contingent whether or not they were parties to incidents or not.    Perhaps a simple question and answer form sent to all the Jewels drivers could well be sufficient.   I may be entirely wrong with my observations but so what!!

I agree that the fields should decreased at Cambridge. Nine or 10 runners at most in each field would make for exciting racing because the horses would be evenly matched and get more of a chance despite drawing badly. 

I have no problem with the current format being continued at Ashburton as it is a bigger track with long home straight. Drawing well is still important at Ashburton but not as critical as at Cambridge.

we want to comment on format and locations on this thread - will post on your thread in regards the horses from yesterday, lets not derail some good debate

Every year tossers  like your self have plenty of negative stuff to say after the jewels.....

What format? It is here to stay. One year Cambridge...then Ashburton. Nothing wrong with the amount of starters...and to suggest mobile is going to fast is a load of crap.

Good to see you agree all the time with ya mate Eljay....but come on...have your own views sometimes.

We all have our own idea on the jewels mine is why don't then give the meeting to a different region every year so one year have it in Auckland,Cambridge,top of the South Island,Addington,Forbury park and then southland.there is a number of tracks down here that would be suited to the jewels format of racing. then no  trainer feels that they are getting underdone with travel will my horse suit the track's of Ashburton or Cambridge etc the list goes on.

Or keep the meeting at one track i would be voting to keep it at Cambridge i no some people hate it due to barrier draw but you see saturdays results many winners&placing's from out wide on the 2nd row.i have read this is because every driver was driving to get the best for the horse they were driving would you not say.

the drive of the meeting would go to Dexter Dunn on the drive of Franco Nelson sitting out wide like that for most of the trip then beating them on the line like that. i would like to see Adore Me try that not taking anything away from her win she done her mile in 1.53.13 last 1/2 in 56.4 last 1/4 in 27.2 were Franco Nelson done his mile in 1.53.17 last 1/2 in 56.6 last 1/4 in 28.5 bloody good times in my book sitting wide like that.Will make for some good lead in races to the New Zealand Cup but that is for another Day.

the worst drive of the meeting would go to Ken Barron/Mark Purdon  for there drives in race 8 Ken being on MIGHTY FLYING MAJOR and Mark being on FOLLOW THE STARS why i say Mark is because why did he not make his move to try and take the lead turning done the back for the first time rather than wait till around the 400m mark to go out to find the front if you seen his win prior to starting in the jewels he sat parked around melton witch does not end well 9 times out of 10 him being the 1 out of 10 so Mark would of known what FOLLOW THE STARS was capable of bloody shit drive from mark trying to go for 7 out 7 we all no he can drive winners he had 3 wins prior to that race.then ther is Kens drive why did he not roll MIGHTY FLYING MAJOR out of the race instead of Galloping backwards into other horses e.g SAY MY NAME for the DUNN'S and FOLLOW THE STARS for the training partnership of PURDON/RASMUSSEN of  FOLLOW THE STARS who had very good chances of winning or placing in the race.

taking nothing off BEAUDIENE BOAZ for Ray Green mile in 1.54.7 last 1/2 in 57.5 last 1/4 in 28.9 nice win from three deep on the inside to swing wide turning in for home to fly home down the out-side to win. good drive from Zac Butcher you can see he has come along way since he started driving you can see he has come along way evan this season.

Then there is the thing about inviting the ozzie runners i think they should have to make there way into the race like the rest of them like we have to pay up for the APG's.but they could hold a big age group meeting between the two country's swaping between the two abit like the the interdom's were a club in side the hosting country can vote to hold the meeting but i would have 2 year olds,3 year olds,4 year olds and 5 year olds and older heats then a final.

We all have our own idea on the jewels mine is why don't then give the meeting to a different region every year so one year have it in Auckland,Cambridge,top of the South Island,Addington,Forbury park and then southland.there is a number of tracks down here that would be suited to the jewels format of racing. then no  trainer feels that they are getting underdone with travel will my horse suit the track's of Ashburton or Cambridge  etc the list goes on.

quite true,

I saw a few defections in the list (in top 13) to take on Venus Serena and being at Cambridge probably swayed the connections into not having a go. 

If you were going to share it around, how far would you go with it?  If you were happy for it to be run at Forbury Park, what about Manawatu, or on the grass at Hawera?

I'm obviously being facetious but I think you just open it up to more arguments and dissatisfaction if you spread it far and wide.  It'll become like the Soccer World Cup where there is always controversy and talk of corruption about where the tournament ends up.

I don't see an issue with it only being held at Cambridge and Ashburton.

Personally I expected the Cambridge Jewels to be a bit of an anti-climax with the racing being a leader / behind the leader-dominated procession, but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case.  Some good, aggressive, positive driving meant that horses were able to win from anywhere.  It goes to show that many of our horses can do some work in the run and still kick on to the line - it would be nice if the same could be transferred down to other, less important races.  But I digress. 

If you were going to share it around, how far would you go with it?  If you were happy for it to be run at Forbury Park, what about Manawatu, or on the grass at Hawera?

I'm obviously being facetious but I think you just open it up to more arguments and dissatisfaction if you spread it far and wide.  It'll become like the Soccer World Cup where there is always controversy and talk of corruption about where the tournament ends up.

I don't see an issue with it only being held at Cambridge and Ashburton.

Personally I expected the Cambridge Jewels to be a bit of an anti-climax with the racing being a leader / behind the leader-dominated procession, but was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case.  Some good, aggressive, positive driving meant that horses were able to win from anywhere.  It goes to show that many of our horses can do some work in the run and still kick on to the line - it would be nice if the same could be transferred down to other, less important races.  But I digress. 

Manawatu would not get my vote nor would having Jewels on the grass i think you would have to be on anther planet to tick the Jewels on the grass and i am not a Fan of Manawatu for a number of seasons  or they could make a purpose track just for the jewels & a race club called the Jewels put it in wellington then no one can moan there ass off about the tack the meeting is held at make it 1400m starting line 200m off the winning post.

Kaikoura would get my vote before Manawatu.

Manawatu would not get my vote nor would having Jewels on the grass i think you would have to be on anther planet to tick the Jewels on the grass and i am not a Fan of Manawatu for a number of seasons  or they could make a purpose track just for the jewels & a race club called the Jewels put it in wellington then no one can moan there ass off about the tack the meeting is held at make it 1400m starting line 200m off the winning post.

Kaikoura would get my vote before Manawatu.

That's exactly my point - everyone has tracks they like and tracks they don't.  If you were to open it up to more tracks, who decides which ones?  

Building a new track for one race day per year doesn't sound like a viable option, nor a good use of industry funds when Ashburton and Cambridge seem to be fine.  As I mentioned in my original comment, I wasn't so keen on Cambridge because I thought it wouldn't make for competitive racing but I was proved wrong yesterday.

Now Porty lad

Because Eljay and I agree is not a problem

Because I disagree with you is no problem

Had I agreed with you possibly may well have been a problem - I would have had to have questioned my clarity of thought

Now be a good lad and go back to your corner

We want healthy debate here - and you never offer that

Here are the stats from Sept 1st 2013 regarding course bias.  Percentages courtesy of TIPSTAR.CO.NZ

Favourite winning %         Favourite placing %       Front line winning %

Cambridge             37                                      65.4                              76.5

Ashburton              35.8                                   66                                  60

I think it's fair to say the bigger track at Ashburton allows for a fairer contest (Ashburton fields may be slightly bigger on average than Cambridge so keep that in mind) Both course show a loss of $19 over a $100 outlay on even stakes basis for favourite punters.

Not all are in favor of shifting the jewels from Cambridge.... I made a lot of money there this year based on draw statistics and sectional times.

Also smartbet one of the tip sites I subscribe with were huge on the fascinator to run third in the first race at $12 FFplace and they also tipped out Beaudiene Boaz at $51 which gave me the Quaddie. The treble with their selections including  Beaudiene Boaz was $1533.80......So  I say keep the jewels at Cambridge!

Not all are in favor of shifting the jewels from Cambridge.... I made a lot of money there this year based on draw statistics and sectional times.

Also smartbet one of the tip sites I subscribe with were huge on the fascinator to run third in the first race at $12 FFplace and they also tipped out Beaudiene Boaz at $51 which gave me the Quaddie. The treble with their selections including  Beaudiene Boaz was $1533.80......So  I say keep the jewels at Cambridge!

Well done with the quad Ed....Paid well overs.

Lucky for you the fav got skittled ;)