RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mmmyb

Silver Collar 2014

Heats tomorrow.

Who's going to get through to the final?

I like Brando to win the final based on trialling performance and recent 650m win.

Little Teegan will strive on the right circuit and will be right in the firing line.

Who is everyone else's picks?

Heat 1-Cool Pursuit, Thrilling Logic, Jinja Power, Little Teegan.

Heat 2-Lochinvar Brando, Deanne's Fantasy, Buddy Broke, Opawa Tania.

Heat 1 looks stronger but the contenders for the final should all qualify in both heats.  Shame there is only 2 heats, c'mon GRNZ, lets up the prize money for distance races.  These are the pinnacle of spectator races and the greatest challenge for trainers.   

Auckland Oaks-Sassy Road, Stay Young, Just Jordana, Lady Shambi.  

Heat 1-Cool Pursuit, Thrilling Logic, Jinja Power, Little Teegan.

Heat 2-Lochinvar Brando, Deanne's Fantasy, Buddy Broke, Opawa Tania.

Heat 1 looks stronger but the contenders for the final should all qualify in both heats.  Shame there is only 2 heats, c'mon GRNZ, lets up the prize money for distance races.  These are the pinnacle of spectator races and the greatest challenge for trainers.   

Auckland Oaks-Sassy Road, Stay Young, Just Jordana, Lady Shambi.  

Dusty upping prize money won't help at the moment. The breeding isn't there as sprinters are the breed and butter of most trainers and that's where the breeding went. I'm sure Aquaman has many a story how N.Z. breeding went this way.

The last two pups I've bought, one is out of a middle distance bitch and dad is Yella Mustard. The other out of a sprinter which I purely bought on bloodlines with the dad being Surf Lorian. Fingers X these two will be middle distance runners as the pirze money is 20% better. 

Dusty upping prize money won't help at the moment. The breeding isn't there as sprinters are the breed and butter of most trainers and that's where the breeding went. I'm sure Aquaman has many a story how N.Z. breeding went this way.

The last two pups I've bought, one is out of a middle distance bitch and dad is Yella Mustard. The other out of a sprinter which I purely bought on bloodlines with the dad being Surf Lorian. Fingers X these two will be middle distance runners as the pirze money is 20% better. 

It's the chicken and the egg isn't it.  You up the prize money and more people breed stayers.  Why do they have so many stayers in Aus?  Because the prize money is good partly I bet.

Heat #1

Thrilling Logic, Little Teagan, Cool Pursuit, Jinga Power. (Pretty even go for the four, trouble in the first bend?)

#1 Track debut, #3 & #6 Out paced.

Heat #2

Lochinvar Brando, Deanne's Fantasy, King's Legacy, Jetsun Flame. (Track knowledge could be a key in this one)

#1 & #8 Track debut, #5 No track form, #4 Out paced.

Little Teegan, Cool Pursuit, Jinja Power, Thrilling Logic

Opawa Tania, Buddy Broke, Lochinvar Brando, Blushing Belle.

Little Teegan looks the far superior stayer in the country at the moment. Super run at Cambridge over 650m and with even luck next Sunday I expect her to be winning.

Well the heats are done and dusted and there was 1/2 length time difference between the 2 heat winners. In my opinion I still favour Brando to win the collar, his front running style can be a problem in these extreme races but I much prefer that style to a dog that settles back and has to rely on a clear passage to make a late run home. Either way I'm looking forward to the final on Sunday and wish all concerned the best of luck....may the best dog win!

Think Little Teegan too. Arch is such a stickler for distance races, he deserves it.

As per usual no advertising or a special field draw. So wish they would dress it up a bit more. After all it is the most prestigious race of the year. 

Very little advertising on Trackside this year too, thought they were going in the right direction last year.

To be honest I didn't have a bet in the heats.Didnt even find the time to watch them.

Why? Because your talking about a dozen dogs for such a big pool of money.You want to get people into the sport.

Why give such a large stake to a race,Or in fact all distance racing when you are giving it to such a small group of people/dogs ?

I can see what they are trying to do but it hasn't worked so why keep pouring it in when its clearly not on the rise?

To be honest I didn't have a bet in the heats.Didnt even find the time to watch them.

Why? Because your talking about a dozen dogs for such a big pool of money.You want to get people into the sport.

Why give such a large stake to a race,Or in fact all distance racing when you are giving it to such a small group of people/dogs ?

I can see what they are trying to do but it hasn't worked so why keep pouring it in when its clearly not on the rise?

What a negative post.  If you lower the prize money you will probably get a lesser and lesser field.  It's a chicken and egg situation.  We need more distance dog breeding and races because that's what the majority of people enjoy.  

Distance dogs arent breed, there born. The matter of the fact is, only a rare few dogs are capable of running 700+ no matter how hard you try, your not going to be able to turn a sprinter or most 500m dogs into distance dogs unless your willing to take a risk with them

Distance dogs arent breed, there born. The matter of the fact is, only a rare few dogs are capable of running 700+ no matter how hard you try, your not going to be able to turn a sprinter or most 500m dogs into distance dogs unless your willing to take a risk with them

Well there is that but when aiming for a distance dog you're not going to send Bright Star to Sozin's Comet.  I know it's not easy but we need to encourage distance breeding.  If staying sires are no good then why not send a staying bitch to a middle distance sire?  If I was GRNZ stayers would be racing for clearly the most money and we would see more stayers bred I'm sure.  

Whilst I don't agree with everything you've said, you've raised an interesting point.  Only 15 dogs entered for the heats was disappointing for me - and some of the dogs in the heats wouldn't have got a start in the past (in my opinion).  Why was that?

I had a small share in Shining Comet years back who ran in two Silver Collar finals (she was retired after running 3rd in her second Collar final), and I remember the heats being much more competitive with a large number of imports brought in specifically to target the race.

I agree you can't really train a dog to run 779m if it doesn't have the natural endurance for it, but surely there are more than 15 dogs in NZ / Australia that could have a realistic crack at the prize-money.  Is it no longer viable to import a stayer because there isn't enough distance racing?  If that's the case then it's very sad as it is a wonderful spectacle.  

You never no what you are going toget with breeding look at thrilling logic out of a speed sprinter now he has been a very handy dog over distance races who would of thought that when they were born that there would be stayers in the litter

Lynn ran in 3 Collars :)

A fall in her first - winner: McDeeBee

4th in the next - Winner: Rivette Reason

3rd in her final one - Winner : Thrilling May

Whilst I don't agree with everything you've said, you've raised an interesting point.  Only 15 dogs entered for the heats was disappointing for me - and some of the dogs in the heats wouldn't have got a start in the past (in my opinion).  Why was that?

I had a small share in Shining Comet years back who ran in two Silver Collar finals (she was retired after running 3rd in her second Collar final), and I remember the heats being much more competitive with a large number of imports brought in specifically to target the race.

I agree you can't really train a dog to run 779m if it doesn't have the natural endurance for it, but surely there are more than 15 dogs in NZ / Australia that could have a realistic crack at the prize-money.  Is it no longer viable to import a stayer because there isn't enough distance racing?  If that's the case then it's very sad as it is a wonderful spectacle.  

Lynn ran in 3 Collars :)

A fall in her first - winner: McDeeBee

4th in the next - Winner: Rivette Reason

3rd in her final one - Winner : Thrilling May

Fancy me forgetting that!  I'm only 30 and already losing my memory!  I remember the first when she fell, that's probably when she was at her best.  Drew near the inside, slightly slow away, and flattened going into the first bend.

The 3rd in her last ever race was a massive effort - she was great fun to watch. 

Of course it's disappointing mate but what we need is some positive people who can bring about change.