RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mcmissile

Interesting read

I adopted a retired racer through GAP about August last year.  Everyone from GAP that I dealt with during the adoption process was very pleasant, but I felt the process was disjointed and communication a bit slack and I remember thinking / saying to people on numerous occasions "Gee they must miss out on so many potential new homes for these greyhounds because people get sick of chasing them up".

At every step of the process I felt like it was me that had to keep things moving forward - it was me making follow-up calls, sending follow-up emails etc just to get action or find out where things were at.  The person I was dealing with seemed to keep changing, too.  I appreciate that a number of the people involved are volunteers, but surely clarity over the process and effective communication is a must if GAP is going to reach its full potential.  I wasn't invited to complete any kind of survey or offer any feedback on my experience throughout the process, so I never gave any - I think this is a must.  Then again, maybe they are usually much better and I was just one that wasn't handled so well.

It's a shame I wasn't rapt with the process because the product (the greyhound) is the real deal.

Appreciate I've gone away from the topic in the blog somewhat but think this is still relevant to the effectiveness of GAP.

..no you haven't 'gone away' from the topic., what you've described is what the experience will be when GAP's been run from the top like it's been., a private little fifedom for two shonks.,

..all those process 'stutterings' you've explained..are the 'holes' that appear when the fabric is rotten at the top., i.e., you get disjointedism..instead of flow and efficiency down in the 'rung' of the organisation.

I would like to ask everyone to take this comment in context. It was from a personal blog site, so is therefore a personal opinion from the writer which comes from a person who was asked to leave GAP, so I feel there is a lot of personal vendetta perhaps in these comments. Please let us put out efforts into finding homes for these retired greyhounds and stop attacking everyone who is trying to achieve this. Is it too hard for everyone to work together to achieve this?  No system is perfect, but with a bit of effort I am sure we can go a long way to achieving it.

Mr. Administrator, can you please remove above link. I think it's inappropriate to let someone go of the deep end like that. There are better ways of handling this problem. Thank you.[

What better ways are there that you can suggest, sitting back and doing nothing has achieved nothing so far, in fact things are getting worse.

Yes it was from a personal blog site, but there is also a lot of truth in what was written.

Ask most trainers who have dogs on the GAP list and ask them what they think of the current administration and what they think of the long, long waiting lists, unfortunately some dogs haven't been able to wait that long.

We have seen great people give up on the GAP programme simply because of the way they have been treated by the people running it, and the association who could do something about it have yet to see a problem?

The fact the person running GAP can't stand greyhound trainers and has no time for the industry says something about the motivation to do best by us all doesn't it?

I would like to ask everyone to take this comment in context. It was from a personal blog site, so is therefore a personal opinion from the writer which comes from a person who was asked to leave GAP, so I feel there is a lot of personal vendetta perhaps in these comments. Please let us put out efforts into finding homes for these retired greyhounds and stop attacking everyone who is trying to achieve this. Is it too hard for everyone to work together to achieve this? No system is perfect, but with a bit of effort I am sure we can go a long way to achieving it.

. I'm with the personal blogger,that you Mr Marshall?

Mr. Administrator, can you please remove above link. I think it's inappropriate to let someone go of the deep end like that. There are better ways of handling this problem. Thank you.

The above link is on an internet (public domain) website linking to another of the same description. What is the point of deleting it? The story is still out there............

The above link is on an internet (public domain) website linking to another of the same description. What is the point of deleting it? The story is still out there............

Exactly.  It's up for discussion like anything on this site.  You don't have to agree with it.  

..no you haven't 'gone away' from the topic., what you've described is what the experience will be when GAP's been run from the top like it's been., a private little fifedom for two shonks.,

..all those process 'stutterings' you've explained..are the 'holes' that appear when the fabric is rotten at the top., i.e., you get disjointedism..instead of flow and efficiency down in the 'rung' of the organisation.

And how many Greys have you adopted you always have a lot to say, so please tell me. I am a trainer and I have put a lot of greys thru GAP and never had a problem. 

Exactly.  It's up for discussion like anything on this site.  You don't have to agree with it.  

Sorry so you know Fatima personally and you think that she is a lovely person.  I have had personal contact with this this person and she was not nice she has her own agenda and vendetta and this is her blog on her web site so leave it there, I personally think that Jacqui has a case for slander, and where did she get these invoices from she better or her friends watch out.

No, I haven't met any of them.  I don't want anyone bad involved, who would?  I never said whether anyone was good or bad but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  

Yes you are right so you are going to believe this crap. I just think that this should not been put on this site to many people here with there own agenda and love to bring down some thing that is good

I don't think personalities come into it when it comes to the running of an organisation like GAP as long as the job is being done to the best of their abilities.

I couldn't care who runs GAP, Jacqui or not, as long as our dogs are being rehomed at an acceptable rate, and this is not happening.

Hall, why are all the Gap kennels closing down do you think? ask them and they will all say the same thing, the person running GAP and her people and management skills.

Maybe we need someone with the passion that Fatima has got for our industry, not someone who freely admits she hates greyhound trainers.

and didn't you have a problem with gap a while ago with people using other peoples places to get their dogs in??

you complained so dogs with trainers that could be bothered to wait put their dogs down instead!!

that's why they changed the rules about how your dogs get in, so now theres loads more dead dogs!!! 

The fact is, Gap cant cope with the amount of dogs that need rehoming each year. 

So people overloading GAP and GAPs not dealing with it? Sounds like a two part problem. Mismanagement and unrealistic expectations from the industry. So much for new animal welfare changes then..

Not very well said at all actually.

As things stand at the moment, yes there are a lot of dogs waiting to get into the GAP programme and will be waiting for quite some time, the fact we keep losing kennels due to the management of GAP is the major factor in this, can't you understand this?

If you go the the SPCA and other animal shelters of the like and saw how many cats and dogs get put down every day you would be quite appalled, unfortunately and sadly it is a fact that there are always going to be too many animals and not enough homes.

But when greyhound trainers and owners desperately want to find homes for their ex-racers and a programme is in place to do this i.e GAP, but the motivation of the management just isn't there, therein lies the frustration of many.

Not very well said at all actually.

As things stand at the moment, yes there are a lot of dogs waiting to get into the GAP programme and will be waiting for quite some time, the fact we keep losing kennels due to the management of GAP is the major factor in this, can't you understand this?

If you go the the SPCA and other animal shelters of the like and saw how many cats and dogs get put down every day you would be quite appalled, unfortunately and sadly it is a fact that there are always going to be too many animals and not enough homes.

But when greyhound trainers and owners desperately want to find homes for their ex-racers and a programme is in place to do this i.e GAP, but the motivation of the management just isn't there, therein lies the frustration of many.

I'll stick by my theory, Mismanagement = loss of kennels arrangements and unrealistic expectations as demonstrated in your post.

Or will a couple of kennelling arrangements absorb all the dogs on the waiting list?