RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Favourite horse ever seen

How can Cubes and other Racecafers see some of the footage of these old classic races/horses ?

try each of these Youtube account holders, there's a trove of delve amongst them all :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/NZTMTube/videos

our own BAZ :)http://www.youtube.com/user/RSBazNZ/videos lots of LA MER  :o

Thanks Klinger :)http://www.youtube.com/user/KlingerNZ/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/giantsaveloy/videos

Australian http://www.youtube.com/user/TVNRacingNetwork/videos

last 7yrs NZ feature races http://www.youtube.com/user/nzracing/videos

Zonda

Anyone got a video of his 97 Derby win they can upload

Thx

I've been looking for this race for ages too. I was 11, and that performance took my breath away and is pretty much the reason I got interested in racing. Although Sunline coming along not long afterwards didn't hurt either.

Grew up in Hawera near to the racecourse and used to watch the races from Turuturu School. Earliest memories of race horses were having that grand standardbred Johnny Globe stabled across the road from our house while travelling through Hawera, and watching the horses in the birdcage from my classroom at Turuturu Primary School (before the area was all built out). Spent 8 years and all my spare time (outside my 40 hour a week job) helping Fred Meynell, and was lucky enough to be able to keep my own horse there.

Great trainers based in Hawera, and some super horses trained in Hawera in the 70's and 80's, eg Wally McEwan, "Deeks", Herb Bergesen, Fred, "Ginnah Hart", Wiz Moseley, owner trainers Brian Hayter, Tom Mathieson etc. Great horses I was priveleged to see being trained in Hawera - Fury's Order, Copper Belt, Simon de Montfort, Kythera, Kia Maia, Kia Marea, Cubacade, Regal Band, Kerry Lane, Rich Return, Kartika, Stylish Pal, - the list goes on.

Still very interested in horses and their breeding, just a shame racing has been in a slow downward spiral for thirty years.

Just got to this Baz, so here goes……all you named I saw, or nearly saw…….and rode a few luckily, one in races, the others I wish. The place was special, we didn't realise it of course, you don't at that age. My first wage was 4 bucks and change a week,…about 30c in tax the mean buggers too…….then after 6 months eureka, a wage rise to 7 bucks and change after I passed my probation.

Our riding master at apprentice school was George Lawson, he was also a jumps jock of repute, and he worked full time in the menswear store in Hawera. We all needed a suit, apparently, and George was the 'go to man'……special discount etc……it cost over 2 months wages…..but we were told it was mandatory.

Going to the wrestling on Monday nights was the best!!! we would piss ouselves with excitement, and back in the whare we would practice all the moves and holds….Mario Milano, Haystack Calhoun, Larry O'Dea, to name a few……and I remember when the Miss NewZealand show came to town, we all fell in love with Miss Manawatu…..and there was a good sort who sang super, she had a NZ hit at the time, and came from Woodville I recall, JF Harris girl friend……..so no one dared venture there, whoa behold, as John ruled the roost from Wally's.

One day I was returning home to Hawera as I'd been home on holidays, [1 week] and the train stopped at Palmy…..on gets NGH, no licence then, he was too young, he was going up to stay with Wally and John……..little were we to know that all these years later NGH was the living legend that he is…..

Sorry if I've gone on, hope you have indulged me……those were the days my friends, I just wish we knew then what we know now, a cliche, but a goody.

The Trentham Stakes win by Showgate. Wasn't a vintage field was it? Can anyone remember the record of who she beat?

Varnamo,Master Morgan,Trochee and Thomas Mellay were pretty high class gallopers i would have thought.

Also the fact that she had run 2nd in the wellington cup only days before only heightens her achievement.

Also didnt she break down during the running of this Trentham Stakes and had to be led back to scale by Bob Skelton.?

You are a fool.

Varnamo,Master Morgan,Trochee and Thomas Mellay were pretty high class gallopers i would have thought.

Also the fact that she had run 2nd in the wellington cup only days before only heightens her achievement.

Also didnt she break down during the running of this Trentham Stakes and had to be led back to scale by Bob Skelton.?

You are a fool.

Quite right . that was the race Show Gate broke down and was led back to the birdcage.

A great run from a great, great mare.

On three legs, she broke the race record, I think (not sure if it was also the track record).

In the commentary, Peter Kelly says that Show Gate is taking her time getting to Varnamo, the pacemaker.

We didn't know why until after the race.

Her courage and versatility will see her remembered long after we are all gone.

Cheers.

Ashoka

In my era until now a favourite was Furys Order for his looks , a big powerful, muscled, imposing , intimidating , handsome Chestnut with a white blaze who could finish a race off from the back as fast as any horse I have seen.   73'  NZ Derby win was really something, he monstered them in the last 400m , overtook virtually the whole field.

great thread cubes

but how can you just have one ?

dead heat , rough habit (nz) :wub: takeover target ( aus) :wub:

no sardines there bro.

. Surprised an Aussie wouldn't nominate Vo rogue,had to be one of the most exciting horses to ever lead in Australasian racing,took some big scalps...and got scalped by one of the great upsets dandy andy! Every dog has his day.

In my era until now a favourite was Furys Order for his looks , a big powerful, muscled, imposing , intimidating , handsome Chestnut with a white blaze who could finish a race off from the back as fast as any horse I have seen.   73'  NZ Derby win was really something, he monstered them in the last 400m , overtook virtually the whole field.

Hi SS

Great description of a horse I can only just remember. Isn't it amazing we can still remember horses that vividly after 40 years.

Shows why we love this game so much.

Just got to this Baz, so here goes……all you named I saw, or nearly saw…….and rode a few luckily, one in races, the others I wish. The place was special, we didn't realise it of course, you don't at that age. My first wage was 4 bucks and change a week,…about 30c in tax the mean buggers too…….then after 6 months eureka, a wage rise to 7 bucks and change after I passed my probation.

Our riding master at apprentice school was George Lawson, he was also a jumps jock of repute, and he worked full time in the menswear store in Hawera. We all needed a suit, apparently, and George was the 'go to man'……special discount etc……it cost over 2 months wages…..but we were told it was mandatory.

Going to the wrestling on Monday nights was the best!!! we would piss ouselves with excitement, and back in the whare we would practice all the moves and holds….Mario Milano, Haystack Calhoun, Larry O'Dea, to name a few……and I remember when the Miss NewZealand show came to town, we all fell in love with Miss Manawatu…..and there was a good sort who sang super, she had a NZ hit at the time, and came from Woodville I recall, JF Harris girl friend……..so no one dared venture there, whoa behold, as John ruled the roost from Wally's.

One day I was returning home to Hawera as I'd been home on holidays, [1 week] and the train stopped at Palmy…..on gets NGH, no licence then, he was too young, he was going up to stay with Wally and John……..little were we to know that all these years later NGH was the living legend that he is…..

Sorry if I've gone on, hope you have indulged me……those were the days my friends, I just wish we knew then what we know now, a cliche, but a goody.

Biff,

You have thrown out plenty clues as to your identity but I'm blowed if I can figure it out.

Initially I thought MR Campbell then B Thomson then Bruce Deacon however the clues have all negated that line. Especially the Tawa origins.

Sounds like you have done well in Aussie but the connection to Apollo Eleven maybe a red herring.

I know if I go to the Turf Register the name will come to me but thats cheating. There was a jockey L G Ace domicilled in Hawera but again I may be decades out.

A few horses that deserve being on Baz's list are Trial Offer, Tasman Sea, Grand Win, Stormee and Egmont Park..

Whatever happened to Bruce Deacon? When I first started riding work for 'KG' at Takanini all those years back, Deac and his family were in the tie-up stalls next door. They were such neat people.  Last I heard of Bruce he was in Queensland..Haven't heard much of David either for many years...

Biff - those 'On the Mat' names were legends!! I remember two of those so clearly, Mario Milano, Larry O'Dea... what about 'King Curtis', 'The Great Mephisto', - with his infamous 'sleeper hold' - and that crazy Chinese guy whose name escapes me...they were great days before it all turned completely to custard and became the modern farce pro wrestling is today.

Biff - those 'On the Mat' names were legends!! I remember two of those so clearly, Mario Milano, Larry O'Dea... what about 'King Curtis', 'The Great Mephisto', - with his infamous 'sleeper hold' - and that crazy Chinese guy whose name escapes me...they were great days before it all turned completely to custard and became the modern farce pro wrestling is today.[/. Mr Fuji ,King kamaka and general hiro?

Cheers guys.... had to ring my brother!!! :)

'Tojo' was the guy I was trying to think of - might have actually been Japanese. His hold was 'The Claw', used to grab his opponent by the collarbone and wreak havoc..... :)

What about 'Skandor Ekbar' - used to straighten out a horse-shoe!!

Steve Rickard - legend.

Awesome entertainment back in the day......  :)