RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Trainers To Take Action

My apologies for moving away from the original message of the thread.

It's about time action was taken. 

In my opinion action should also be taken against the New Zealand Racing Board as they are even bigger spenders, totally out of control with an obviously very weak Board overseeing them.

The Chair is a very strong woman in every which way, yet we haven't heard a peep out of her since her appointment.

P.S. Who ever said Tony Pike is no fool, you are so correct. He would run rings around most on either Board.

These clubs now race at either Addington or Rangiora tracks. With Galloping I think there should be 2 tracks in each region and clubs could chose which track they race from. Makes sense IMHO> Insider I nust know you as I have been involved for many years as well lol.

insider,

Amberley TC, New Brighton TC, Hororata TC, Akaroa TC, Cheviot TC. and Victoria Park (Greymouth) no longer exists to name a few.

Yes, they have all been morphed into other clubs one way or other.

BUT only Hororata and Greymouth raced on their own tracks in the last thirty to forty years!

Guest 2Admin2

Yes, they have all been morphed into other clubs one way or other.

BUT only Hororata and Greymouth raced on their own tracks in the last thirty to forty years!

So harness has been 40 years ahead of the thoroughbreds?

So harness has been 40 years ahead of the thoroughbreds?

NO, take for example the CD -  Ashhurst, Marton, Rangatiki, Feilding, Masterton [Opaki] and Levin all gone from their OWN tracks within the last thirty to forty or so years.

2Admin2, this is a far greater close down of tracks than has been seen within Trotting, I my opinion.

Pitty, I'm sure that you will reading what is being said here and you are on the Trainer's Association committee and you don't minding fronting questions.

I understand the concerns that your Association have raised and want addressed however they also impact on others in the industry ie owners, jockeys etc. From my understanding the TA haven't consulted with the Owner's Association, Jockey's Association and have gone alone on this. Wouldn't it have been a more powerful lobby after dicussing all the issues with these other stakeholders and lobbied together?

Can you please confirm that the payment for providing horses to the races, that this would go to the owner, not the trainer, as it is the owner that is providing the horse and paying the costs for the horse to go to the races.

As an owner I would be peeved if this was not the case and the TA was looking for it to go the trainer. This would only rub salt into the wound owners received when one of the best initiatives in recent years Free Racing was introduced and then rescinded later at the request of the Trainers Association under the Presidency of David Howarth. Owners were shafted.

Good luck with this, I still think you should be looking higher as I outlined above and I look forward to your response.

Thanks.

If it's true that such a large party (12?) went to Hong Kong at the Racing Industry's expense, then it's an absolute disgrace. What possible benefit could be gained from such action? One person would be fine, but 12? Fair dinkum this lot have lost the plot completely!

NO, take for example the CD -  Ashhurst, Marton, Rangatiki, Feilding, Masterton [Opaki] and Levin all gone from their OWN tracks within the last thirty to forty or so years.

2Admin2, this is a far greater close down of tracks than has been seen within Trotting, I my opinion.

BUT are these clubs still operating if so where are they now racing?

These clubs now race at either Addington or Rangiora tracks. With Galloping I think there should be 2 tracks in each region and clubs could chose which track they race from. Makes sense IMHO> Insider I nust know you as I have been involved for many years as well lol.

the racing surface being all weather, allows these amalgamations..Unlike thoroughbreds. [they run on live tracks., living cultures of sole and sod, that need astute management, grooming and feeding]

if you just have 2 tracks in each region, then the track surface becomes stuffed from all the extra  traffic.,

..and because you've closed the other tracks that resulted in the 'just 2 tracks'..when it comes to renovating the surface., you then have no other tracks [because you've closed them down]..to play 'hopscotch' with, so that the over used track can be renovated.

Racing used to be thriving and sustainable until the body corporate..turned into a 'city' instead of a bare minimum 'suburb'.

it's only been the money from Pokies that's created a haven for the industry to put up with the corporate incompetancy, that's wasted funds And!..cost the stakeholders debilitating extra costs with hunches such as Mon / Tues racings..when we all screamed to them that it was foolish folly., but they didn't listen because it was already decided.

the reserves have been run down to an urgent small sum by now..in relation to the scale they're meant to underpin the macro industry., and if it wasn't and hadn't been for the Pokie funds, then we'd Urgently be needing to Halve in a downsizing..the huge number of corporate suits now bleeding us in total salary costs..just like any other industry in N.Z.'s had to've done when you know what's hit the fan.

Our industry puts up with the largess instead, And their idiotic managements..and wonder why the hell we have a trainers collective invoking industrial action :o

As it is when tracks are renovated, we race on them too soon so that the renovations quickly deteriorate..to revisit the problem only just temporarily surmounted! [all because of the pressure to get back earning income..and get back holding the races for the calender's sake., And to be the 'cog' For that calender].

my challenge to those who're 'pro' centralising...please give us a thought out example of how the industry will reticulate it's self..while you invoke the closure of tracks to achieve this centralisation., who'll cease where, and because of that formula., where what and whom will placate the voids left etc etc etc.

Don't give an example where the outcome is a substantially reduced number of horses racing..as that'll be an implosion pending., remember our small national population and our geographical reality as well as the topographical one.

[Racing., thuh industry..was built up over more than a dozen decades..and panned as far as tracks and clubs go, to the recent past configuration of track and club localities., Sinceforth, many clubs have gone..and a lesser amount of the tracks once raced upon., the current number of tracks are the bare minimum of current practicality and feasability..numbers., congruent and considerate to and of our geography and it's topography...comissioned by our population densities within those parameters..don't fiddle with things that aren't broken! . .it is the Corporates who 'break' things with their hairbrained inventions and largess of funds spending., it is They who've 'broken' the coffers..and it is Their supersize!...that's to be disassembled forthwith!]

..an electronic skelatal bureacracy is all we need, and if it Wasn't for the Pokie funds..we'd be addressing and implementing it's downsizing immediately!

What are you all going to do when the American$Dollar is crashed in about 4yrs time :o

you'd best mark my ideas "urgent"..and set about safeguarding racing with a broomsweep of the corporate excess, idiocy and super numeral, and begin returning the industry into a robust thriving state., because the rest of this hemisphere Need it and us to Be that!

If it's true that such a large party (12?) went to Hong Kong at the Racing Industry's expense, then it's an absolute disgrace. What possible benefit could be gained from such action? One person would be fine, but 12? Fair dinkum this lot have lost the plot completely!

..there were more than that invited, but to their Credit Butch Castles and Cameron George declined because in their opinion, the industry wasn't in a position to fund the junket., and i understand the trainer's CEO also turned the invite down on the same grounds.

[i've gleaned this from another site today as my source]

Congratulations to these 3 gentlemen., quite refreshing for Sure ;)

BUT are these clubs still operating if so where are they now racing?

Are you now taking the P..... [drink] out of me?

If not here are the answers.....

Marton, Rangatiki,Feilding and Ashhurst  are all racing at Awapuni. Gee what a success, debt in the millions and a stuffed track.

Levin is racing at Otaki and never the twain shell meet.

Masterton. Yee Gods, they cant make up their mind. First it was Trentham or was it Tauherankau or the other way around? Then they flirted with Woodville [i think] and at the moment they are at Hastings but for how long?

..there were more than that invited, but to their Credit Butch Castles and Cameron George declined because in their opinion, the industry wasn't in a position to fund the junket., and i understand the trainer's CEO also turned the invite down on the same grounds.

[i've gleaned this from another site today as my source]

Congratulations to these 3 gentlemen., quite refreshing for Sure ;)

As I understand it, the RIU also declined for similar reasons.

Are you now taking the P..... [drink] out of me?

If not here are the answers.....

Marton, Rangatiki,Feilding and Ashhurst  are all racing at Awapuni. Gee what a success, debt in the millions and a stuffed track.

Levin is racing at Otaki and never the twain shell meet.

Masterton. Yee Gods, they cant make up their mind. First it was Trentham or was it Tauherankau or the other way around? Then they flirted with Woodville [i think] and at the moment they are at Hastings but for how long?

OMG, What a merry mix up. This is where racing needs to pool its energies and get this sorted.

Insider, You should be on an advisory panel to sort some of this nonsense out. NO I am not taking the psss, I am deadly serious. We need people who have been in the Industry and understand such things Ted also needs to be as well.

"NZTR acknowledges there have been increases in industry costs but since the new independent board was put in place three years ago we've seen improvements in both prizemoney and other industry fundamentals.

"There has been significant improvement in base prizemoney levels, average prizemoney is up 24 per cent and the aggregate has increased, but we want to keep improving."

YEAH RIGHT - our good friends Fasthorse and Puha have already pointed out on this site that the stakes for 2 feature races at the Wellington winter meeting - ( Whyte and Parlimentary Hcps ) have been reduced from $40k last year to $25k this year!  :(  :angry:

Now I'm not saying what I have posted below should/could be implemented in NZ, however take a look at the respect and acknowledgement that our friends in other places have for the value/worth of owners, who like it or not are the most important people in this caper.

They have been since King James organised the first race meeting on the heath at Newmarket way back in the 1700's! You see, that's where sweepstakes kick in…….punters are now so very important and necessary, however as long as two men/women own a horse they will put up a stake and race for it…..whether there are public nearby wanting to bet on it too, is irelavent, Owners put on the show, always have, always will.

A little respect from the NZTR would go a long way. Mr Boss in Petone needs to recall those days when he was an entity making up the numbers on Alison Road…….many of us know the make up of the old AJC and the country racing council etc……he has come a long way, he is now the boss of a national racing body and it's time to listen to the populace. The people are revolting Mr Boss, they need to see and hear their leader, he must be visual and approachable, he must listen and act, otherwise the storming of the Bastille will come back to haunt all those that say ' go and eat cake'!

For those still reading here is the criteria of owners benefits in Singapore;

Owners' Benefits

As a horse owner, you will enjoy top class facilities at the Singapore racecourse. 
 In addition to attractive prize money, there are many benefits for owners of Singapore-based horses:

• Complimentary Parking at Singapore Racecourse on racedays
• REWARDS Incentive Scheme
• Complimentary entry to Owners’ Lounge at Singapore racecourse(*dress code applies)
• Up to ten complimentary guests and up to ten paid guests per raceday to Owners’ Lounge (the number of guests allowed per owner may be restricted on major racedays when capacity crowds are expected). Additional guests are accommodated subject to approval from the Horse Ownership Senior Manager. 
• Complimentary entry to Off-Course Betting Centres (including Lounge Area at selected centres)
• Complimentary copy of the Club’s in-house magazine, Winning Post
• Invitations to events/functions organized by Singapore Turf Club (eg Fun for all under the stars/Singapore Symphony Orchestra)
• Invitation to dine at the Committee Box (*dress code applies) subject to availability
• Booking of a Corporate Box (subject to availability) at a discounted rate
• Regular Newsletters
• Owners can contact the Horse Ownership Department to book a table for a specific day with the exclusion of Singapore Airlines International Raceday
• Complimentary DVD of the race will be provided to the manager of the winning horse. Additional copies can also be purchased from the Horse Ownership Department
• Gift (one per horse) will be given to winning connections after each race
• A photograph of your winning horse can be purchased from the official photographers at the racemeeting
• Champagne popping in the Champagne Room for the winners after the race
• Morning refreshments at barrier trials
• Gifts to owners on major celebration days eg Chinese New Year, Christmas

- Owners with runners in all Group races receive food and beverage vouchers to the value of $300-00 per runner to entertain guests. 

- Food and beverage vouchers to the value of $150-00 per race (increased amount for Group Races) are given to the manager/partner should they be present on the day. Vouchers cannot be collected by a representative or at a later time

- A special bottle of champagne (eg Dom Perignon) is given to the winning owners of Group races.

That is not all,owners are paid appearance money for running their horses as well, NZ is still in the dark ages and whilst it is being run by Non racing or at least people who do not have a passion or love for the sport, it will keep dying a slow and painful death, which will continue to see the best trainers and jockeys leaving NZ for other destinations where they can at least make a decent living from the sport.

Pitty, I'm sure that you will reading what is being said here and you are on the Trainer's Association committee and you don't minding fronting questions.

I understand the concerns that your Association have raised and want addressed however they also impact on others in the industry ie owners, jockeys etc. From my understanding the TA haven't consulted with the Owner's Association, Jockey's Association and have gone alone on this. Wouldn't it have been a more powerful lobby after dicussing all the issues with these other stakeholders and lobbied together?

Can you please confirm that the payment for providing horses to the races, that this would go to the owner, not the trainer, as it is the owner that is providing the horse and paying the costs for the horse to go to the races.

As an owner I would be peeved if this was not the case and the TA was looking for it to go the trainer. This would only rub salt into the wound owners received when one of the best initiatives in recent years Free Racing was introduced and then rescinded later at the request of the Trainers Association under the Presidency of David Howarth. Owners were shafted.

Good luck with this, I still think you should be looking higher as I outlined above and I look forward to your response.

Thanks.

Pitty,

I have bumped this up in case you missed it last night.

Cheers

Ted

So maybe the industry can not afford to pay greater stakes? No different to workers that do not get a pay rise each year is there?

Kakama - you may well be right but when they say average prizemoney is up 24% and we can counter with a fact ie:

prizemoney for the 2 feature flat races at the Wellington Winter meeting is down 37.5%

it does not look so good for the 'spin doctors' does it!

Dropping those two races to that stake is shocking!Cant see any open handicappers contesting them.Why rob two of the iconic winter handicaps of a half decent stake and turn it into a run of the mill race?  Why would you even try and target these races anymore??.

Guest 2Admin2

Where is Hung Leica and Fasthorse?

Have they been red carded?

Fast horse is trying to set his horse up for a Dummy like coup

A "gripe" Jane..?? I think the state of the Industry is a bit more than that don't you...???

And bringing Joe Public into it will raise awareness of the whole raft of issues facing us all..

Get this on the mainstream TV News and in every Newspaper and see what the reaction is, from the Government down..

have to agree with ohokaman on this one

Playing with 'averages' is very ingenuous really. The 'average' stake for day to day racing is still $7,000 - up from $4,500 30 years ago!!!! :o :o

Fiddling with stake money at feature meetings where some go up and as has been pointed out, others go down, is masking the true situation behind some massaged statistics. Overall stakemoney may be up by around $300,000 it would seem, but that is seriously a drop in the bucket in comparison to the drastic situation we face as an industry.

Get real, industry leaders! Try starting with a cost comparison from 1984 perhaps!!!!...

Would be interesting if someone could compare trainers costs and race stakes 5 years ago, then compare them to today....

Would be a shock to see how much costs have gone up, including all costs. Must be some accountants out there that own horses.....they are about the only ones that can afford it....