RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

Another former NZ Racing Identity bites the dust!

Former NZ racing identity, Malcolm Holmes, has been axed as Brisbane Lions AFL CEO, according to reports in today's newspapers. He leaves with the Lions having a $10m debt. Was he previously with NZTR or a NZ Racing Club?

Former NZ racing identity, Malcolm Holmes, has been axed as Brisbane Lions AFL CEO, according to reports in today's newspapers. He leaves with the Lions having a $10m debt. Was he previously with NZTR or a NZ Racing Club?

Chief Executive Officer New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing Inc August 2009– December 2010(1 year 5 months)

Munchie, The little fat guy is trying hard. There is consultation for Africa with sector groups and clubs signaling and discussing change including that yet to happen. It can't go much faster as clubs need to improve their act. So hence the Partnership Program running now. We are told Rebranding starts in November by which time clubs will have developed some marketing and promotion strategy???

Hmmm! They jumped the gun with Kylie B but presumably she will yet strut her stuff.

So we can look forward to magnetic marketing, compelling attendance and rivetting entertainment. Just being ironic here as some of the clubs directors are too long served. i.e. If they haven't introduced change in say 10 years ----????

Whether this gets us to Nirvana when RB is cutting off the legs (Loss of Freeview) is a serious worry though I do agree. 

In the meantime heres a cheer up poem for you. Or us all

"I wish I were a glow worm

A glow worm's never glum

How can you be grumpy

When the sun shines out your bum"

Cheers NM

for someone who believes he has so much commonsense , neil you are remarkably gullible .after 3 and a half years of this regime with total turnover down , on course turnover down 20% , and of course in the little fat guys area of expertise hehe internationalisation turnover is down instead of up the predicted 100%.

so you blame the clubs , brilliant.

go straight to hell Neil, your sycophantic cheerleading of purcell and goodson despite their continuing failure is not only very boring but worse with your support they are killing the industry.

Our industry is in a lot of trouble worldwide but alarmingly the recent Asian Racing Conference showed NZTR/NZRB strategies are hopelessly flawed.

NZTR can have all the meetings with sector groups they like and feel them a pile of b/s that they want to hear, but unless they give punters value for money nothing will improve.

Its not sector groups that fund stakes , they just push their claims for a larger slice of the pie. Its punters that the industry is dependent upon for funding.

surely in your business life you must have taken notice of your customers rather than suppliers yet Purcell and Goodson choose to ignore their customers completely

Munch' TR is essentially owned by the race clubs. RB is an instrument of the Government. For the former it is only in the recent past that so called sector groups have really been consulted. This came about when there came, from a realization of inadequate governance by the clubs, that a change to a corporate model was made.

For the latter they are a law unto themselves although I am told there is a degree of consultation with the former.

At my stage of life I have no wish to progress through the levels in either club governance or politics in order to try and cause change.

But I do believe in putting in, so I do my bit in a sector group. I can advise you that I am not a sycophant and do strongly advocate the views of those I speak for. 

Lets not make this personal as I don't have time to bat back stuff, and it doesn't advance anything. You are welcome to your views. Can you allow me mine?  

Certainly you can have your views Neil as they represent a significant portion of people who control the industry.

I just wish you would address my concerns as the industry continues on its downward path.

Regardless of governance issues NZTR have failed dismally in achieving their key targets year after year under this regime. In particular , I refer to revenue targets e.g. on course turnover down 20% since this Purcell took over, total turnover down and the worst export income is down when Purcell expected it to double . This is last matter  represents $20 million alone over 4 years and $10 million in next year alone. This is not turnover this is actual revenue.

When Purcell set these goals he was well aware of issues with clubs governance etc etc .  

The only reason why NZTR has not had its NZRB contribution slashed is the pokies income .

Worse throughout this regime Purcell and Goodson continue to ignore advice from their customers , believing they know best when results clearly show they have no idea what will motive punters to bet on their racing.

Can you address the turnover issues and the explain why your sector group cant grasp that their returns are dependent on the industry customers the punters. These are the crucial issues the industry faces in my opinion

I dont know either of you guys...but simply from a small punters view who enjoys a day at the races...

Munchy seems to make more sense.

it seems the Heiracy bury their head in the sand, unaccountable or answerable to anyone. 

I have no problem with Neil expressing his views but after 4 years of waffle about governance while turnovers continue to plunge downward ,and in particular on course turnover is down more than 20% in that time , I would have thought it was time to face the reality that the regime of Goodson and Purcell have absolutely no idea what punters want.

What is frustrating is that  seemingly  Neil's optimism is based upon the b/s that Purcell and co feed his sector while he ignores the reality of the facts. There is no doubt that Goodson and Purcell can b/s with the best of them but surely at some time there is a need to accept their strategies have failed . 

Neil is a successful businessman ,how or why he believes this b/s when it flies in the face of commonsense and the facts is bizarre but typical of the people who are on these sector groups whose aim is to get as big a slice of the pie as possible.  

The only reason the pie hasn't shrunk drastically is the pokie money that has been injected from NZRB.However, despite this it seems inevitable that further dipping into the reserves at NZRB will be needed at the end of this season to fund the codes.

Finally , I might add that in addition to turnovers being down , horse starts have declined every season of this regime and are now in fact more than 10% less than when they this crew took over . Brilliant.

It aint working Neil because the punters don't like what is being dished up at the price they are being asked to pay.

Muncho,

Commendable posting.

However you  make a common error.

Goodson and Purcell have no direct responsibility to punters. You seem to blame everything on G & P whilst treating the NZRB as some sort of God. Punters don't actually mind what NZTR are dishing up they have far more complaints about nonsensical foreign races taking up TAB resources. and cross coding impinging on their time.

Many participants including the former editor of this web site make the same mistake. In many ways that is inevitable as the whole structure of racing is a mess.

Paying CEO's exorbitant salaries as in the case of Holmes and the Lions has its downside. Making a big deal of the sacking is plain silly. Better that a sensible CEO willing to listen and learn whilst receiving a sensible salary be employed to start with.

And Muncho isn't it about time the industry stopped relying on the gambling turnover and at least tried generating an honest dollar.