RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Trainers that are running hot

There are a few trainers who are running hot at the present time.

T Pike continues on his winning ways and with all types and distances

K Myers,could line a rocking horse up and it would be hard to beat,9 wins in the last 10 days

G Richardson,he has 5% winning strike rate and had 1 starter on Saturday for 1 winner.

L zzzzz,had 2 starters on Saturday for 2 placings,has an amazing strike rate with his 2yo this season,has had 6 2yo runners for 5 individual winners and 4 of the6 have been listed or black type winners and the one that has not won,may turn out the best in Asprey.

If you followed any other these trainers in the last few months,you would have to be well in front.

google nztr, click raceinfo,click trainers,click premierships,go down to left and 2013/14 ,click trainers...

408 trainers....with all starters 1st,s 2nds and 3rds and win strike rates.

Midget looks pretty much onto it...G richardson...245 starts / 43 winners / 5.7 strike rate  

What about the disbanded Pike - Donoghue partnership? They were running at 3.61 prior to the split.

Since then Tony has had 13 runners for 5 wins at a strike rate of 2.6.

If the two could be added together the strike rate would be getting close to 3, I would think!

Graham Richardson's winning strike rate this season is 17%, not 5%.

The only trainers in the top 100 who have winning strike rates of 5% or lower are Jim Pender and Ralph Manning [see trainers' records on NZTR website].

You clearly are an example why those Legal High's must be put on the banned list. :)

The two trainers you mentioned are 20 and 21% and the list is updated daily.

Strike rate is inversely proportional to %

Strike rate of 5 equals 20% of horses started are winners

3 = 33.33%

Etc etc etc

Just to add to this, you can think of a strike rate of 7.2 as being an average of one win for every 7.2 starts.

You clearly are an example why those Legal High's must be put on the banned list. :)

The two trainers you mentioned are 20 and 21% and the list is updated daily.

Haha.....a nice comeback , I smiled !!!

In our day .no calculators or computers , and %'s and Decimals had to be calculated in head !!

The 20 % you mention is " 1 in 20 ".

Yes Tony Pike and also JBridgeman have had outstanding seasons.....placing their horses well and winning nice races. 

In our day .no calculators or computers , and %'s and Decimals had to be calculated in head !!

Yes Tony Pike and also JBridgeman have had outstanding seasons.....placing their horses well and winning nice races. 

They are also being constantly fed expensive purchases so can afford to be more ruthless with discarding battlers, unlike some other quality horsemen without "corporate" (Te Akau, Raffles) backing. Well done to them but at times you need to "look behind the curtain".

They are also being constantly fed expensive purchases so can afford to be more ruthless with discarding battlers, unlike some other quality horsemen without "corporate" (Te Akau, Raffles) backing. Well done to them but at times you need to "look behind the curtain".

Chevy,you do bring up a valid point.It is well documented that Te Akau did spend 9m that year and well done to the team for having the balls to do that.They may not race many 2yo and look towards there 3yo careers,so that may be the reason why they have only the two,2yo winners.In regard to Raffles,i am not sure who's banner they buy under,so cannot work out what they did spend that year,but clearly they do buy nice types and the results follow,Having said that i do know that the Pikes did breed Chintz,so that has turn out an excellent investment.I have noticed G Richardson has improved a few horses that other good trainers had, to me shows he is a very good trainer and does buy in the middle market and they syndicate them out.

I checked zzzz record that year and found he spent a total of $175 on 4 horses,bred one and got Artic Wolf after she didn't get a bid at the sales.

To my way of thinking it shows that their is always a chance for the small player to succeed at the Group Level and well may it continue.

When looking at trainers form its quite peculiar how trainers win races in batches. They may go for months without a winner then in a week get several.

You mention J Bridgman having outstanding year and indeed he had some great patches. For example in 11 days in January started 12 horses for 12 starts and 8 individual wins..

However I don't think he can be entirely happy. Since start of February in NZ when a lot off the big races occurred he has won only one race with stakes greater than $20,000 and then only $25,000. i.e Chambord.

A pattern similar in 2013 when from 1 Feb to end of season only Burgundy (1 win) and Better Than Ever (1 win) won races greater than $20,000.

There are always different ways of looking at figures.

Certainly agree the top lots and breeding must be easier to train, than having to place battlers.

Chris Waller has a huge team...cream shine week after week, but he still has the donkeys running mid-week.

Will have to remember to flick though strike/rates in future...Kelso,s,Neill Ridley,Pike/Donohue,Fraser Auret,etc,etc goin well.