RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Forrest

NZ weanling sale

Inglis weanlings up 50 percent on average today,quite a few high priced lots including $450,000

for a Fastnet Rock,bodes well for NZ weanling sale starting monday,given the prowess shown by NZ breds in Australian group races over the last few weeks.

There were some quality types which made good money. As always, the market, particularly, the car salesmen (sorry, bloodstock agents,) are looking for what stallion is "trending" - a bit like new season fashion. Therefore SYT went well - they were good types. Another Coolmore stallion that sold particularly well was Uncle Mo. And it's the time the big studs ramp up their hype for the upcoming season - it's almost like a declaration of war on the mare owners.

I'm not sure NZB sale next week has a similar level of quality re the weanlings. On paper it looks more like a "clearing" sale, however you don't know until you sight the individual. I'm sure there will be some good buys for those looking to buy to race and the odd horse for pinhookers.

Normally the Gold Coast weanling/mare sale is the benchmark - this year the Teeley Assets dispersal will distort the figures but the fact they chose to sell there, rather than Inglis is interesting.

Let's hope NZB delivers good results for all the vendors!

There were some quality types which made good money. As always, the market, particularly, the car salesmen (sorry, bloodstock agents,) are looking for what stallion is "trending" - a bit like new season fashion. Therefore SYT went well - they were good types. Another Coolmore stallion that sold particularly well was Uncle Mo. And it's the time the big studs ramp up their hype for the upcoming season - it's almost like a declaration of war on the mare owners.

I'm not sure NZB sale next week has a similar level of quality re the weanlings. On paper it looks more like a "clearing" sale, however you don't know until you sight the individual. I'm sure there will be some good buys for those looking to buy to race and the odd horse for pinhookers.

Normally the Gold Coast weanling/mare sale is the benchmark - this year the Teeley Assets dispersal will distort the figures but the fact they chose to sell there, rather than Inglis is interesting.

Let's hope NZB delivers good results for all the vendors!

It is no more a clearing sale as the Inglis version.

Stalions represented such as O'reilly,Savabeel,Pins,Shocking,Rip Van Winkle,Guillotine,Etc,etc, And many stakeswinner relations in the sale.

Like any sale,there will be a portion that wont get the money they want or need,but there a host of good looking pages in this catalogue and when that marry's up with a good looking horse, you only need a minimum of two people to be interested for good money to be achieved.

I dont think serious pinhookers or buyers in general will treat this sale as clearing sale.

People will go to the sale looking for a particular type of horse but serious commercial breeders reduce their stock at this sale to maximise their returns or minimise their losses. Yearling sale prep is expensive (and we have at least 6 months before sale prep starts)  and many choose to cut their losses …which is a commercially savvy thing to do.  Whilst there might be some well bred, appealing horses (on paper), they're in the sale for a variety of reasons...

As I said, I do hope vendors achieve realistic returns and buyers get value for money.

People will go to the sale looking for a particular type of horse but serious commercial breeders reduce their stock at this sale to maximise their returns or minimise their losses. Yearling sale prep is expensive (and we have at least 6 months before sale prep starts)  and many choose to cut their losses …which is a commercially savvy thing to do.  Whilst there might be some well bred, appealing horses (on paper), they're in the sale for a variety of reasons...

As I said, I do hope vendors achieve realistic returns and buyers get value for money.

And how is that any different to the Inglis sale?

The Australian industry cannot be compared.   Unfortunatley this sale next week will be very hard selling the money just isn't there like it is in Australia.

The Australian industry cannot be compared.   Unfortunatley this sale next week will be very hard selling the money just isn't there like it is in Australia.

Not saying the figures will be as good but a significant increase [given positive sentiment in the weanling sales in general] on the previous years sale would be welcolmed I am sure.

Given recent NZ bred results in Australia,coupled with the fact that this sale has delivered Puccini,Solzhenitsyn,Sacred Park,Guns at five, etc, underpins that this sale does have some lots of quality, and anyone who browses the catalogue will no doubt come to the conclusion that it is stronger than previous years.

NZ buyers were active at inglis and will probably turn up at this sale as well,and I dont think it would be drawing too long a bow to think that Aussie buyers may increase in numbers given recent results on the track.

If ever there was a time to have a  more positive outlook on the NZ breeding and sales market,then surely this is it. 

I admire your optimisim but with the sale now between Sydney and the gold coast I cant see that too many aussies are going to spend money on weanlings here. 

Forrest, I too admire your optimisium but I question your accuracy. Did Puccini and Sacred Park really go through the Waikato Weanling Sale or have misread you?

Yes I did, and you can also include other stakeswinners like Solzhenitsyn,guns at five ,Sir andrew,El padrino and Oravela etc.

Forrest, I too admire your optimisium but I question your accuracy. Did Puccini and Sacred Park really go through the Waikato Weanling Sale or have misread you?

I can't see where Forrest mentions the Waikato weanling sale but he is indeed correct both Puccini and Sacred Park were pinhooked from the National weanling sale. Lovely to see Solzhenitsyn on the cover a 10k purchase with over $1 million in earnings :)

You have to be positive in this industry - and good luck with your sale Forrest ;)

Going quickly through the results I would have thought the vendors would have been reasonably happy. Also NZB would be happy to see the sale moving from a caste-off sale which it definitely was 5-10 years ago to a more genuine weanling sale. If I am right with my assessment ( I am always happy to be corrected) then this is good for breeders as it gives another genuine sales option for their stock.

Going quickly through the results I would have thought the vendors would have been reasonably happy. Also NZB would be happy to see the sale moving from a caste-off sale which it definitely was 5-10 years ago to a more genuine weanling sale. If I am right with my assessment ( I am always happy to be corrected) then this is good for breeders as it gives another genuine sales option for their stock.

The results were good,although the trend of money for colts and not fillies continued.

We know the main reason for that is the asian markets, but surely it has moved into the " overkill" realm.

The last few weeks tell us that with performaces like That of Silent Achiever.

I'm sorry gang but I have to disagree. Twitter was alive yesterday, a nice story was the news Three Bridges (based in Victoria)  allow their old stock to live out their lives in their paddocks. Alarmed to see NZB allowing 200 and 300 dollar sales!!!! plus 100 in an extreme case.

A sorry advertisment for NZB and the studs that consign their old girls to the fate that awaits. What price a bullet? give them a morning feed and put them down with a full belly, burn and bury. A death with a certain amount of dignity and no ones the wiser.

Several commercial studs dont appear to give a f#@k……..ah, Karma, let's just wait and see shall we?  Inglis has introduced a minimum of $600, to deter the meat men.

It's still a clearing sale team - most of the young horses have issues and many vendors don't want to carry the cost until January.  After all, who in their right mind, would sell an asset for far less than its true worth?  sorry to tell you that, you should have the intelligence to work it out. Your loyalty is admirable albeit misguided.

I'm sorry gang but I have to disagree. Twitter was alive yesterday, a nice story was the news Three Bridges (based in Victoria)  allow their old stock to live out their lives in their paddocks. Alarmed to see NZB allowing 200 and 300 dollar sales!!!! plus 100 in an extreme case.

A sorry advertisment for NZB and the studs that consign their old girls to the fate that awaits. What price a bullet? give them a morning feed and put them down with a full belly, burn and bury. A death with a certain amount of dignity and no ones the wiser.

Several commercial studs dont appear to give a f#@k……..ah, Karma, let's just wait and see shall we?  Inglis has introduced a minimum of $600, to deter the meat men.

It's still a clearing sale team - most of the young horses have issues and many vendors don't want to carry the cost until January.  After all, who in their right mind, would sell an asset for far less than its true worth?  sorry to tell you that, you should have the intelligence to work it out. Your loyalty is admirable albeit misguided.

Yep agree with part of your post - it disgusts me that some part with their old broodies instead of doing the right thing by them after all some of them have done the right thing by their owners for years. There are always people who don't give a **** in every area of life be it tb's, sb's, dogs, farming etc.. We picked up nice stock from this sale and happy with them, their x-rays etc.. No horse is perfect and there are many winning horses going around who failed the Vet.  NZB should refuse to deal with the "meat man" (if indeed they already have)and allow the vendor to deal with them direct if horse fails to sell.

As I have said before many reasons for selling, some buy mares in foal for their stallions and don't want the resultant foal so it goes to weanling sale, some can't afford the yearling prep etc. etc. It's not all black and white and not all of us are wearing rose coloured glasses ;)

Yep agree with part of your post - it disgusts me that some part with their old broodies instead of doing the right thing by them after all some of them have done the right thing by their owners for years. There are always people who don't give a **** in every area of life be it tb's, sb's, dogs, farming etc.. We picked up nice stock from this sale and happy with them, their x-rays etc.. No horse is perfect and there are many winning horses going around who failed the Vet.  NZB should refuse to deal with the "meat man" (if indeed they already have)and allow the vendor to deal with them direct if horse fails to sell.

As I have said before many reasons for selling, some buy mares in foal for their stallions and don't want the resultant foal so it goes to weanling sale, some can't afford the yearling prep etc. etc. It's not all black and white and not all of us are wearing rose coloured glasses ;)

Yes, agreed Louise. No argument here.

Louise

I agree with your comments re broodmares and doing the decent thing. But looking through the results of the broodmare sale I don't think there are many, if any going to the meat man. Yes there are some that sold very cheaply but that does not mean they are not going to a good home.

Good luck with your purchases.

Louise

I agree with your comments re broodmares and doing the decent thing. But looking through the results of the broodmare sale I don't think there are many, if any going to the meat man. Yes there are some that sold very cheaply but that does not mean they are not going to a good home.

Good luck with your purchases.

That was basically my reply to Biff  who made assertions that the cheaper ones were off to the "meat man", A cheap older broodmare with great pedigree and in foal can be a way to start in this game and good luck to those who bought these older mares - I started with a 19 year old!! I am certainly going to follow Karen Parsons purchase of mare with foal at foot and in foal to Per Incanto for 1200 or 1500k she may be onto a good thing :) :)

Dear Breeder, just to clarify, my comments are/were directed at NZB and those low lives that send their stock off to the sales with no reserve and no care! The reserve should always be [if you are a true horse lover] above that on which the 'meat man' trades.

Whilst only a few broodmares found their way to the 'bitter end' there were many many sales in the 400 mark and some less, with 1 at 100……..

Louise is to be applauded by her comments and her conscience, and I stand by mine, any sod that consigns their horses to a sales house that condones a 'meat man' pricing policy deserves Bad Karma and neither you or any other non concience entity will change my opine. If you breed them, you are responsible for them………thank you.

Cubes is a bit shocked to read all this

He just assumed all owners were horse lovers and treated their stock well

When you purchase a horse surely you treat them as a loved pet almost when their racing days are over.

There is more to life than just the money

Is there any welfare group/charitable trust that cares for unwanted thoroughbreds ?