RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Forrest

NZ weanling sale

OK Biff and Louise , I may have misunderstood your comments and I agree it doesn't make sense to send a mare to a sale and pay entrance fees, float fees etc. and not have reserve above the "meat man's" level. Should not go to the sale in the first place. I'm sure there are plenty on people who would take a mare for free and look after it.

Biff, you sometimes have to sell an asset for less than its 'worth' if you can't afford the cash flow.

I would love to have bought Catalano, with a Bachelor Duke filly at foot and in foal. But my 'stable' is full!

Absolutely agree Breeder, it's a shameful act of animal bastardry by the lowest form of human existence. Oxygen thieves and anything else that would fit the label.

As I said earlier, what price a bullet, and the easing of financial strain, if that be the cause for sale. Surely surely no one can be that strapped for a dollar they need drive or consign their animals to the slaughterhouse for a few hundred bucks?

Now, there was a certain Sydney trainer [a neighbour of mine unfortunately] who on the first Monday of each month would see off a 'coach load' of unsuspecting 4 legged athletes who were under performing to the knackers, and he would ensure they got there and the job was done. Not for a dollar mind you, but to make sure they were not 'waylaid' and ended up at a rival's establishment whereby they may improve and win a race, showing him up.

He was infamous for this, we all knew, and the saddest part was his owners, one in particular who is legendary would be distraught if he/she knew, they didn't of course, but they should have. That was knackering for the lowest possible reason, ego…….but almost on the same level are those that can't be bothered, have no pride or morals, and who dont give a tinkers cuss where their horses fate lays, just as long as few dollars change hands.

Sorry for the longwinded post, I didn't mean to, however it is close to my heart. I was foreman for one of AUS most famous and respected trainers, a hard man, very hard, but a horseman to his jockstrap, he ensured all the slow ones left our stables for somewhere safe. He died wealthy, he died happy and he died of old age…..Good Karma, and thank God he passed on to me many of his values….thank you Boss. Good night all, see you tomorrow.

how many do you know for certain do went to the meat man?  What about vendors that just work as agents? Their owner wants to sell the horse at the sales no questions, and the vendor needs said client for on going income.  sometimes its not as black and white as people are making out.  If you are so against them being purchased by the meat man where were you to purchase them to stop this???

JBK, it's very simple, there needs to be a minimum reserve of at least 100 bucks above the meat guys value, then there is no stress to anyone……it stops lowlives in their tracks……..just shoot the poor buggers JBK……..or call the dogger to come get them if they are that mean……..at least then, theres not the stigma and indignity of that long green mile.

We have a fair stack of these $100 + horses from various NZB May sales. Some that were weanlings will make racehorses, many that have failed to make the grade as racehorses, or were so screwed up are turning into outstanding sport horses. The broodmares have had a few foals, and a handful of others are just happy paddock ornaments! They all enjoy life & are well looked after. There are lots of genuine reasons why people vend these horses & why they are prepared to sell them cheaply. We would have been happy to pay more for many of them...but why should we if no one wants to bid against us?? & yes, there are a ton of places (esp. on Facebook) where you can advertise surplus or unwanted TB's. Doesn't guarantee a good home though....