RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rooboy

Ma'a

Jezza,even if you were too young to remember,say yes.Remember in 1963 when Wgtn had their 1st defence of RS against the 'naki and got thrashed(still hold record of 1 defence)who played the attacking game and won,and following yr defended again against Wgtn and won 3-0.Again through attacking,neither Neil Wolfe or Terry O'Sullivan could kick.Maybe Taylor should hunt out Mick Williment or John Dougan and teach Ma'a how to kick,or Taylor himself as he's such a personal friend of Nonu's and has such experience playing AB an rep rugby.Don't worry about Conrad,he's a "naki boy and only knows one way to get foward.

He'll have trouble hunting out either of them.

He'll have trouble hunting out either of them.

The late Mick Williment was a product of the Coutts Street Academy aka Rongotai College, along with Ma'a and myself.

So you can take it as given that every student who graduates from that fine institution possesses an amazing kicking game......though I doubt very much whether Mick was a better striker of the ball than I was.

Seriously...I was incredible!

Through good and bad, Ma'a Nonu has loved his home ground from the very start.

On January 3, 2000, the then 18-year-old Rongotai College pupil hopped in his cousin's car and headed in from Miramar to check out the city's new stadium.

Wellington was unveiling the new jewel in its sporting crown and Nonu was among the thousands who first sat in the new yellow seats at WestpacTrust Stadium.

He wouldn't spend long in the stands, but by the time he made his own sprig marks on the ground the local lad already had his own unique connection to the venue.

"I'm born-and-bred Wellington so when the stadium was built I had to go along and have a look," Nonu recalled this week.

"I parked down at the railway station and when I came back I'd been towed. It wasn't my car, either. It was the official open day and I was still at school.

"I went with my cousins to have a look around the new park and we were like, 'this is bad', but then we got back and the car was gone. It got towed to the old Hutt Road so I crept up and tried to take off with the car, but I got snapped."

Nonu can't stop smiling as he recalls the day that etched the ground into his memory long before he pulled on a Wellington, Hurricanes or All Blacks jersey.

"I used to go along to all the games with the first XV.

"I remember Athletic Park too. I remember vividly 1996-97. In 1997 the Hurricanes played the Highlanders and Tana [umaga] scored an 80-metre try in front of us.

"They did a double miss and he stepped off his right foot and ran all the way. I think it was 22-20 [to the Highlanders], but those games you probably don't remember the result, you remember the guys who were playing."

By 2002 it was Nonu scoring the tries. He still relates to youngsters watching from the stands.

"Kids go to watch guys play and when they see them do something special they remember that. They will be like, `did you see his run?' ... even if the team loses kids are like, `that's all right because I saw my idols play'. Hopefully, that's still important.

"For me I'm living a dream. I can't believe I'm even here, that I'm in the All Blacks. When you're a kid the reality is just a dream and now you're in it, it still doesn't feel [real]. I don't think it will ever feel real till you finish playing rugby."

Nonu has had mostly success at Westpac Stadium, although his test debut was the 15-13 loss to England in 2003, one of only two All Blacks losses in 12 games at the ground. The other was when Australian captain John Eales knocked over a last-gasp penalty as the Wallabies christened the test venue with a 24-23 win.

Ad Feedback

Nonu doesn't necessarily buy into the theory that certain venues should be more difficult to win at than others, but he does believe players are more comfortable when they are in their home towns.

"It's a good feeling to play in your home area, and I know it's the same for the other guys when the All Blacks play in their home town.

"It's extra special because your family is there and your brothers and sisters can come down to the ground, whereas when you play away they have to watch on TV.

"But it means more tickets you have to buy," he laughs.

Home is where the heart is for Nonu, who was raised in Strathmore and schooled at Rongotai College in Kilbirnie.

His home club, Oriental Rongotai, is in the centre of Miramar and he has spent the week commuting back and forth through the Mt Victoria tunnel from the team's inner-city hotel so he can spend time with his son Mercury, 20 months.

"I've been staying at home most nights depending on when we start in the morning. I won't leave here [the hotel] till everything is done, homework, analysis.

"There are some days you have to spend the whole day here because coming through the tunnel from Miramar you don't want to get stuck in that morning traffic."

The All Blacks will be hoping Nonu can again help find a way through the Springbok traffic, a task that has proved difficult for a player who knows his way to the tryline.

Nonu has scored 15 tries in 47 tests, and three from seven at Westpac, but only once has he crossed the line against South Africa, last weekend at Eden Park.

He is also the second leading test tryscorer since the 2007 World Cup with 12, bettered over that period only by Wales wing Shane Williams.

The All Blacks will be hoping for more of the same tonight.

They'll be hoping the team bus is still there at fulltime.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/3928446/From-towaway-to-tearaway-Nonus-right-at-home

I always enjoy the banter between the regular protagonists on this site, but this thread on the need for kicking midfielders struck a particular cord in the old memory banks. So I went back a few weeks and found this below.

Here is what Chris Taylor wrote on 26 May 2010

""""NZ Rugby really needs to start developing players, and backs in particular, that have more than one dimension to their game.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that our backlines need to start endlessly kicking the crap out of the ball, but they do need to have that skill up their sleeve.

Now most of you probably aren't aware that I'm a huge fan of Ma'a Nonu, but how much more effective would he be if he had a tactical kicking game?

Conrad Smith is another. No-one ever mentions the fact that he can't kick for peanuts because everyone focuses on Nonu, but the fact is that he can't kick.

When you go and watch a team like the Hurricanes play 'live', these things stick out like the proverbial.

Opposition defenses know they can stand a lot flatter because there's buggar all chance of either Smith or Nonu putting a chip-kick in behind them.

It kind of makes you wonder about the level of coaching these guys receive!""""

Now, because I've never attended a live rugby game in my life, having never left the comfort of my couch, I'm confused and need a rugby guru/expert to clarify. Do top class rugby 2nd fives and centres need a top notch kicking game or not??

Read the post that this Chris Taylor put on this thread calling me ridiculous and then the post of his that was dug up basically agreeing with what I first said.

And you think I offer nothing...I love a great debate with people with different opinions but I think poor old CT wasn't wearing his steel caps when he shot himself in the foot on this thread and it wasn't long after that he crawled under a rock somewhere and hid (or cried) for a fair while.

He was entertaining in an "annoying little puppy that wants to hump peoples legs" sort of way though.....be careful with your wealth of knowledge QH that you don't suffer the same fate.....you would be missed :D

Read the post that this Chris Taylor put on this thread calling me ridiculous and then the post of his that was dug up basically agreeing with what I first said.

And you think I offer nothing...I love a great debate with people with different opinions but I think poor old CT wasn't wearing his steel caps when he shot himself in the foot on this thread and it wasn't long after that he crawled under a rock somewhere and hid (or cried) for a fair while.

He was entertaining in an "annoying little puppy that wants to hump peoples legs" sort of way though.....be careful with your wealth of knowledge QH that you don't suffer the same fate.....you would be missed :D

:D

Guest Quarter horse

Another brilliant performance from the big man tonight and he was the difference between winning and losing for the Canes.

Another brilliant performance from the big man tonight and he was the difference between winning and losing for the Canes.

He was very good BUT Cruden was the difference. Matchwinner when they were down and out and perfect goal kicking stats.

Yep indeed - Mr Ma'a "once every two game intercept or yellow card" threw his two intercept passes while playing for his Ories club. He should be right for the next two games. But lookout for the Blues game ... he's gonna getcha'll again then. Blues by 20 ........ oh yeah thats right they are coached by Dummy Lam ..... Blues by 12!!!!! :D

Scored 2 tries

Missed 2 schoolboy tackles that lead to tries.

Henry & Co would have placed another tick into the "why SBW should wear the #12 jersey" box

Crudens offloads were the winning of the game

Guest Quarter horse
He was very good BUT Cruden was the difference. Matchwinner when they were down and out and perfect goal kicking stats.

He has improved his goal kicking stats Madlib, so I'll give you that much. Though his inability to kick long-range goals is reason enough not to want him in the box seat come WC time.

Guest Quarter horse

Another world-class, faultless performance tonight by the big man.

Nonu is the premier no12 in world rugby and he showed his full bag of tricks tonight.

Guest Quarter horse
Composed kicking game too:D Where'd that come from? SBW breathing down his neck seems to be bringing out the best in him

Breathing down his neck!!!:D:D:D

You.Are.Kidding.

Tana has shown more nous at 2nd five tonight than SBW has all year.

SBW = MYTH.

Breathing down his neck!!!:D:D:D

You.Are.Kidding.

Tana has shown more nous at 2nd five tonight than SBW has all year.

SBW = MYTH.

Ma'a told me he is feeling the SBW pressure over a few punts on Courtenay Place - I get my facts from the source.

Haha, not really - I saw him there once, but that's the sort of "fact" people are so fond of around here i nearly went with it:D

Guest Quarter horse

Haha, not really - I saw him there once, but that's the sort of "fact" people are so fond of around here i nearly went with it:D

And people like Opo, DC7, and the rest of the KKK would be lost without facts like that Tim.

And people like Opo, DC7, and the rest of the KKK would be lost without facts like that Tim.

They repeat their facts so often that you'd almost think they'd researched them. I especially like the claims of 'majority support' for their facts

Guest Quarter horse
They repeat their facts so often that you'd almost think they'd researched them. I especially like the claims of 'majority support' for their facts

Well unfortunately for NZ, a lot of people in the same demographic group as 'them' hold the same incorrect opinion.

It never fails to amaze me just how ignorant most NZer's are of their 'factual' history. :)

From a legal standpoint, Maori had the govt over a barrel from the moment the Labour govts of the 80's starting incorporating the Treaty into legislation. The Ngati Apa case was the tipping point for most NZer's and it was that case that brought about the Foreshore and Seabed Act 2004.

Guest Quarter horse

Looks like I'm going to be a Chiefs supporter from 2012 onwards...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/sport/5101809/Chiefs-making-eyes-at-Ma-a-Nonu

That's a hilarious article. Mark Hammett must really know his stuff if he thinks Hayward will be a better fit at 2nd five than Ma'a.:D

Don't know how he's going to enjoy playing outside Donald though.:\

Looks like I'm going to be a Chiefs supporter from 2012 onwards...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/sport/5101809/Chiefs-making-eyes-at-Ma-a-Nonu

That's a hilarious article. Mark Hammett must really know his stuff if he thinks Hayward will be a better fit at 2nd five than Ma'a.:D

Don't know how he's going to enjoy playing outside Donald though.:\

Good work Hammett.These Hurricane players will never win a comp with their attitude and lack of heart.Bring in the young guys and get a management plan in place like the Crusaders and Bulls,whose ststems are very similar,and watch this team rise over the next few years.

Guest Quarter horse
...and watch this team rise over the next few years.

Well they've only got the Chiefs behind them as far as NZ teams go...so there's plenty of room for improvement.:D

Seriously though, I'm a Hurricanes fan through and through. But I'm sick to death of seeing the talent in this region being ignored by the 'powers that be' in preference to unheralded outsiders. Mark Hammett hasn't achieved anything in coaching that even touches what Dave Rennie has, yet he got the job because he's from Canterbury.

Now Rennie has lured Ma'a to the Chiefs, and I'd be willing to bet that Cruden and Julian Savea won't be far behind.

Roll on 2012 and Go The Chiefs!:y:

Well they've only got the Chiefs behind them as far as NZ teams go...so there's plenty of room for improvement.:D

Seriously though, I'm a Hurricanes fan through and through. But I'm sick to death of seeing the talent in this region being ignored by the 'powers that be' in preference to unheralded outsiders. Mark Hammett hasn't achieved anything in coaching that even touches what Dave Rennie has, yet he got the job because he's from Canterbury.

Now Rennie has lured Ma'a to the Chiefs, and I'd be willing to bet that Cruden and Julian Savea won't be far behind.

Roll on 2012 and Go The Chiefs!:y:

Hammett didnt get the job because hes from Canterbury,he got it because he vowed to change the Hurricanes psychy whereas Rennie apparently could not see that the Hurricanes had a problem on the field as far as decision makeing goes.Being a crusader supporter i firmly believe that the decisions the Hurricanes make off the field are just as bad as the ones on the field.The crusaders have used 4 different halfbacks and yet there has been no difference in the continuity of game plan because they set a game plan ,then pick the players to play that game,whereas in previous years the Hurricanes seemto change the gameplan each week depending on what players are picked.