RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Rooboy

Ma'a

Much ado about his dropping the F word into his radio interview following the Chiefs game on Saturday.

Two thoughts. First I wondered if in 30 years time, people will look back and laugh at how sensitive we were back in 2010, much as we do now about that big Northland No8 saying he was "Buggered" back in 1956.

Second, possibly M'aa was on one of those dares that the players have among themselves to drop a word into the interview. Possibly Nonu's challenge was to drop the F word in more than five times.

He just dropped the word in a bit too often i think, a bit like "mate" when they interview some guys.

Nothing against an f word now and then in the heat of battle, or when you have knocked the bugger off:).

Ricki Herbert let one fly after the Bahrain game and good on him too!

Intense Footy wins in my time scoring last minute goals etc etc I wonder what I would have said if a microphone was shoved in my face straight after the game..

Generally the boys have a beer and a sing song in the changing sheds and unleash a string of expletives....with no Microphones present

Again I know its the professional era but, HT interviews FT interviews even during the game interviews (In some T20 games)...when will it all end

Jezza

Exactly, gl...

Imagine:

Budget night. Bill English is in full flight. 'The Government will reduce company tax rates by a whopping...'

Interviewer (interrupting): 'Halfway through, right?, Bill. So how do you think it's going?'

Seriously, what do you ever get out of sporting interviews? Inanities like 'full credit', or 'it was a game of two halves' or 'we're disappointed'...

And halftime interviews are worse...

Maybe one day we'll get something worthwhile like: 'The weather's sh*t, the ref's crooked, the other team cheat ... and my lot are just cr*p. S*d this, I quit. Taxi!'

As long he is playing as well as he is when the Bledisloes come up I don't mind.

In fact I will be using the same word in conjunction with the words..."you ...beauty"

Birssy I was near the clubrooms after several classic wins the first team had,duff rosebowl,league etc,never heard any foul language lol,mostly on the pitch,at refs,Sparrow mostly.

Much like the famous interview from the 50's when the words I'm buggered were dared to be spoken,golly gosh.

wouldn he look a real dangler at fullback CT.He's in ace form and I,m hoping a few more get up to his standard.

Probably pop into the SFS and have a look at next weeks effort.

Upper Hutt v Oriental-Rongotai

Saturday, 26 June 2010, 3:00 PM

Maidstone Park

Referee: Dan Kershaw

Upper Hutt

15 Jarrad Churchwood

14 Stuart Vandenberg

13 Ofa Pongi

12 Benji Strickland

11 Anthony Davidson

10 Brett Pigott

9 Nua Fono-Hunt

8 Chris Gorrie

7 Justin Mcilwee

6 James Wall

5 James Measor

4 Quin Wanoa

3 Apa Heemi

2 Camden Howard

1 Walter Trevirauns

Ories

15 Hayden Whelan

14 Ambrose Curtis

13 Ma'a Nonu

12 Johnny Sola

11 Afa Fa'atau

10 James Proctor

9 Sean Hay

8 Iani Pahulu

7 Lio Afamiliona

6 Joe Maiava

5 Dan Reddish

4 Mark Reddish

3 Whetu Henry

2 Matu Matu'u

1 Donal McNamara ( c )

Ories back to full strength ( Julian Savea is in the reserves apparently ) and they will be wayyyyyy too good for the Bogans today.

The best tight-five in the comp will lay the platform in what is surely to be testing conditions out at Boganville.

See you all out there!

#9 for Upper Hutt..Nua-Fono Hunt..is that Nigel Hunt?The BOP and NZ 7s player?

have a great day mate.I have an Old Boys luncheon at my club.

Should be a great day of Grassroots rugby:y:

A tough battle in the mud, wind and rain out at Maidstone Park today but Ories ground their way to a 17-11 win.

Ma'a played a solid, but unspectacular, role in the 13 jersey as he was often used as a decoy runner on attack.

The tighthead prop for Ories, Whetu Henry, has an interesting family background. He is named after his uncle who represented the Kiwi Rugby League Team as a prop in the late '70's. His uncle Whetu, his dad, and many other uncles formed the nucleus of the staunch Eastern Suburbs Rugby League team here in Wellington.

But it was off the field that they went on to achieve notoriety.

To cut a long story short, the ESRL team and the Black Power Gang used to drink at the same pub in Newtown, just down the road from the Basin Reserve. It was named the Tramway...aka Flying Jug. The BP was led at the time by a maggot named Lester Epps. The two groups had a falling out, which led to the ESRL team raiding the gang headquarters, where they preceeded to beat the crap out of Epps, and then they attached him to the tow-bar of one of their cars and proceeded to drag him around the Basin Reserve, which ultimately led to his timely and deserved death.

As a result, most of the ESRL team went to court and were tried for murder, but were convicted only of manslaughter. They were out in less than 4 yrs and lived happily ever after.

The end.

A tough battle in the mud, wind and rain out at Maidstone Park today but Ories ground their way to a 17-11 win.

Ma'a played a solid, but unspectacular, role in the 13 jersey as he was often used as a decoy runner on attack.

The tighthead prop for Ories, Whetu Henry, has an interesting family background. He is named after his uncle who represented the Kiwi Rugby League Team as a prop in the late '70's. His uncle Whetu, his dad, and many other uncles formed the nucleus of the staunch Eastern Suburbs Rugby League team here in Wellington.

But it was off the field that they went on to achieve notoriety.

To cut a long story short, the ESRL team and the Black Power Gang used to drink at the same pub in Newtown, just down the road from the Basin Reserve. It was named the Tramway...aka Flying Jug. The BP was led at the time by a maggot named Lester Epps. The two groups had a falling out, which led to the ESRL team raiding the gang headquarters, where they preceeded to beat the crap out of Epps, and then they attached him to the tow-bar of one of their cars and proceeded to drag him around the Basin Reserve, which ultimately led to his timely and deserved death.

As a result, most of the ESRL team went to court and were tried for murder, but were convicted only of manslaughter. They were out in less than 4 yrs and lived happily ever after.

The end.

There was nothing wrong with the Tramway in those days,had some good drinking mates there,including all the rubbish collectors.

Ma'a showed once again why he is the best 2nd five in the World last night.

Ma'a can't pass!! Ho ho ho ho ho

Suck it up Ma'a haters!!

Exactly. Great player. Prior to kickoff some of the guys were bagging him. I said Ok you are the oppositions 1st 5,2nd 5, or centre. Who do you not want to mark: Benson Stanley or Ma'a Nonu??

The silence said it all.

Ma'a showed once again why he is the best 2nd five in the World last night.

Ma'a can't pass!! Ho ho ho ho ho

Suck it up Ma'a haters!!

Is do we need a 2nd five with a kicking game ???

Is Cowan kicking (and poorly) due to us not having a kicking 2nd five ???

Shouldn't the best 2nd five in the world have a kicking game in his repertoire ???

And PS I am a huge fan of Ma'a

Jezza

Is do we need a 2nd five with a kicking game ???

Is Cowan kicking (and poorly) due to us not having a kicking 2nd five ???

Shouldn't the best 2nd five in the world have a kicking game in his repertoire ???

And PS I am a huge fan of Ma'a

Jezza

Agree Jezza, let's kick the crap out of it...what a great idea.

These 'revised' rules that are currently in force reward teams that hold onto possession so let's encourage all our players to kick, kick, kick.

After all, it certainly worked for the Boks on Sat night.

Cowan kicks because that's what halfbacks do.....they've ALWAYS kicked it....having a 'box-kick' in their reportoire is a prerequisite for any decent halfback...the fact that Cowan kicked poorly ( your opinion ) has nothing to do with Ma'a.....maybe Cowan was feeling the effects of the headbutt????

So to summarise, I think it's ridiculous that you would want the strongest ball-carrier in World Rugby to have a developed kicking game.

Boy I can't wait for Sonny Bill to start playing, as I'll be interested to see if anyone comments on his kicking game!!

I always enjoy the banter between the regular protagonists on this site, but this thread on the need for kicking midfielders struck a particular cord in the old memory banks. So I went back a few weeks and found this below.

Here is what Chris Taylor wrote on 26 May 2010

""""NZ Rugby really needs to start developing players, and backs in particular, that have more than one dimension to their game.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that our backlines need to start endlessly kicking the crap out of the ball, but they do need to have that skill up their sleeve.

Now most of you probably aren't aware that I'm a huge fan of Ma'a Nonu, but how much more effective would he be if he had a tactical kicking game?

Conrad Smith is another. No-one ever mentions the fact that he can't kick for peanuts because everyone focuses on Nonu, but the fact is that he can't kick.

When you go and watch a team like the Hurricanes play 'live', these things stick out like the proverbial.

Opposition defenses know they can stand a lot flatter because there's buggar all chance of either Smith or Nonu putting a chip-kick in behind them.

It kind of makes you wonder about the level of coaching these guys receive!""""

Now, because I've never attended a live rugby game in my life, having never left the comfort of my couch, I'm confused and need a rugby guru/expert to clarify. Do top class rugby 2nd fives and centres need a top notch kicking game or not??

Agree Jezza, let's kick the crap out of it...what a great idea.

These 'revised' rules that are currently in force reward teams that hold onto possession so let's encourage all our players to kick, kick, kick.

After all, it certainly worked for the Boks on Sat night.

Cowan kicks because that's what halfbacks do.....they've ALWAYS kicked it....having a 'box-kick' in their reportoire is a prerequisite for any decent halfback...the fact that Cowan kicked poorly ( your opinion ) has nothing to do with Ma'a.....maybe Cowan was feeling the effects of the headbutt????

So to summarise, I think it's ridiculous that you would want the strongest ball-carrier in World Rugby to have a developed kicking game.

Boy I can't wait for Sonny Bill to start playing, as I'll be interested to see if anyone comments on his kicking game!!

Man you are a wealth of knowledge CT, with you in charge of the team the William Webb Ellis trophy may as well go straight into The AB's cabinet..

Why is it ridiculous to WANT Ma'a to have a kicking game...tell me that ?

On the subject of kick kick kick CT ....tell me do you think the "revised rules" will lead to loads of try's in the WC Final next year....bearing in mind in the last 5 World Cups a TOTAL of 5 try's have been scored with the only team managing to score 2 try's in the last 5 finals being Australia in 1999 and that was because France had already played their final...Does that suggest possibly defence (and maybe a great kicking game) is the key in a Final and not attack

So yes I enjoyed the great win by the AB's on saturday night....ball in hand rugby was great to watch....BUT have we learned to have a Plan B ready for when that doesn't work ????...especially for next year

PS The statement that Cowan kicked Poorly isn't opinion it is Fact !

Jezza

I always enjoy the banter between the regular protagonists on this site, but this thread on the need for kicking midfielders struck a particular cord in the old memory banks. So I went back a few weeks and found this below.

""""NZ Rugby really needs to start developing players, and backs in particular, that have more than one dimension to their game.

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that our backlines need to start endlessly kicking the crap out of the ball, but they do need to have that skill up their sleeve.

Now most of you probably aren't aware that I'm a huge fan of Ma'a Nonu, but how much more effective would he be if he had a tactical kicking game?

Conrad Smith is another. No-one ever mentions the fact that he can't kick for peanuts because everyone focuses on Nonu, but the fact is that he can't kick.

When you go and watch a team like the Hurricanes play 'live', these things stick out like the proverbial.

Opposition defenses know they can stand a lot flatter because there's buggar all chance of either Smith or Nonu putting a chip-kick in behind them.

Now, because I've never attended a live rugby game in my life, having never left the comfort of my couch, I'm confused and need a rugby guru/expert to clarify. Do top class rugby 2nd fives and centres need a top notch kicking game or not??

Rooboy that is brilliant....I owe you a beer..

CT sometimes better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your an idiot that open it and confirm the fact

How the hell are you going to dig yourself out of this...or is it crawl under a rock time again...

Seriously I am in Hysterics :D

Jezza

Yes....well done Rooboy...credit where credit is due.....you did your research and kicked a goal ( notice there that I said "kicked a goal" and not "scored a try", as kicking is vital when it comes to discussing rugby ).

My comments re Ma'a & Smith applied to their games for the Hurricanes, a largely tactically inept side who rely too heavily on the game-breaking abilities of their All Black midfield. The Canes have one game plan.....get the ball to Ma'a! Hence the reason why he needs to have kicking skills to overcome the flat defensive lines that he encounters. Keep in mind that kicking skills encompass chip-kicks as well, and not just the 'hoof it' variety!

The Test on Saturday showed that the AB's are capable of playing a high tempo game and maintaining possession of the ball at the same time. They have the players skillful enough to carry this out so why would you want to kick it?

And Jezza, personally I would like to see DC attempt at least one dropped goal per Test, because you never know when he's going to need that particular skill. If I was the AB's backs coach ( and it's only a matter of time before I am ) then I'd be really in his ear about this.

Rooboy that is brilliant....I owe you a beer..

CT sometimes better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your an idiot that open it and confirm the fact

How the hell are you going to dig yourself out of this...or is it crawl under a rock time again...

Seriously I am in Hysterics :D

Jezza

Jezza,even if you were too young to remember,say yes.Remember in 1963 when Wgtn had their 1st defence of RS against the 'naki and got thrashed(still hold record of 1 defence)who played the attacking game and won,and following yr defended again against Wgtn and won 3-0.Again through attacking,neither Neil Wolfe or Terry O'Sullivan could kick.Maybe Taylor should hunt out Mick Williment or John Dougan and teach Ma'a how to kick,or Taylor himself as he's such a personal friend of Nonu's and has such experience playing AB an rep rugby.Don't worry about Conrad,he's a "naki boy and only knows one way to get foward.