RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Craig Symes

Thrilling Butcha

Stewards say they SUSPECTED the dog turned its head. So its pretty much a guessing game when it comes to putting a dog out where there is no cameras available to prove it. Very Interesting Indeed

Or maybe he could lend them to night pearl? Glass houses tony my friend.

Well you were there catching the Butcha and you saw him just like me, go for number one dog, when 4 got in front he then went after him. As for Night Pearl if she had a driver, you would say bloody good drive.

Bev 

I don't think I've ever seen a post this long dedicated to one dog!! Did he turn his head? Didn't he turn his head? Was he chasing properly? Blah blah blah!Lets concentrate on facts! The dog was wide on the first turn! Fact) the dog went for a gap between two other dogs!fact( only the dog knows if he had room to get through at the speed he was going!fact( the winner of the race got a perfect rails run and there after was all ways going to win!!fact( every dog has a off day!! Well done ray Adcock on getting two dogs from the same litter into the final.

another intelligent assumption

A lot depends who knows who.  I have a neutral view and have no doubt he was checking out My Squizzy.  The stipes made an error of judgement and I believe the Butcha will make them look stupid in upcoming runs.  

I backed Andrea, and luckily for me i think the Butcher had a butchers hook at Squizzy on the first bend. Allowed Andrea to have a dream trip underneath. Thanks Butcher, thanks Stipes.

I love it that the only people who can back this dog are connections, im still not 100% sure whether or not he faught or turned his head on friday night, but i do not think he should be getting benifit of the doubt after the previous start before

I have seen the stipes give the benefit of the doubt to hundreds of dogs where it's obvious a dog has turned their head.  Why do they do this?  I'm not sure but it happens regularly if you watch greyhound racing closely.  Jack's a Jewel has been put out once or twice but could have been atleast 15 times if the stipes were concentrating.  Even his trainer was talking on Trackside saying, 'He's not the hardest chaser'.   

Well as a former employee of Gary Harding I will assumed to be biased, but I find it would be hard to put out the Butcha on his run at Wanganui.

As has been stated already, there are a lot more dogs out there that have been a lot more obvious than the Butcha and nothing reported, the fact it was a big race heat should have nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying there are serious chasing issues at the moment but there was nothing really obvious you could put him out for.

There are a lot more dogs that should be put out, especially at These low grade meetings for unsatisfactory performances, the amount of times we see in the Stipes report that a dog is tailed off all the way, vetted and cleared of any injury, only to turn up week to week doing the same thing is absurd and they don't get condemned the same way.

I thought Butcha was less than genuine on Friday night.  There was enough room to drive a bus through underneath My Squizzy, and Butcha has shown an ability to rail underneath through much smaller gaps during his earlier racing days.

My immediate reaction watching it live was that he wasn't chasing.

Andrea railed through and took the lead at virtually the same time that Butcha was having a look at My Squizzy, and then set off after Andrea which made is less obvious than it may otherwise have been.  The fact Butcha ended up in between My Squizzy and Andrea has led some on here to suggest that he simply ran out of room - I don't agree.  Andrea was behind both of the other dogs and there was ample opportunity for Butcha to rail through to the lead if he were chasing hard.

Agree that the size / importance of the race shouldn't be important, and that there are plenty of serial offenders around, but that doesn't make it okay, just means that the Stipes need to grow a set and start being tougher.  Butcha is chasing other dogs, not the lure.  I'm not an expert on greyhounds but I watch a lot of racing and I wonder if he's not quite right - especially the way he swung wide on the last corner.

If dogs continue to be allowed to race after not pursuing the lure without penalty then it just makes dog racing look like a fiasco.

Fernlea 25. This post is in my view factual, accurate and objective. There is little doubt in my mind that the present system of trying to find worthy and competitive fields for group racing is a shambles and very unfair. group finals should be the pinnacle of any racing but under the present system fields are selected from the bottom up instead of from the top down. Unfortunately the number of nominations can result in up to eight heats where only the winners go forward to the final. Fields can result in a number of higher graded dogs mixed up with a mishmash of maidens, sprinters and out of form dogs as was the case in the recent NZ Oaks. Many high class bitches deserved but were denied a chance of making the final. You cannot blame the connections as they are simply taking advantage of race conditions. Greyhound Racing NZ should not persist with this outdated policy. Heats and semi finals would ensure a final worthy of group status and avoid the current controversy. It is not a good look when we are trying to attract new participants to the sport. Come on Grehound NZ - show some leadership. That is what you are there for. Thank you. Ray Amer.

Fernlea 25. This post is in my view factual, accurate and objective. There is little doubt in my mind that the present system of trying to find worthy and competitive fields for group racing is a shambles and very unfair. group finals should be the pinnacle of any racing but under the present system fields are selected from the bottom up instead of from the top down. Unfortunately the number of nominations can result in up to eight heats where only the winners go forward to the final. Fields can result in a number of higher graded dogs mixed up with a mishmash of maidens, sprinters and out of form dogs as was the case in the recent NZ Oaks. Many high class bitches deserved but were denied a chance of making the final. You cannot blame the connections as they are simply taking advantage of race conditions. Greyhound Racing NZ should not persist with this outdated policy. Heats and semi finals would ensure a final worthy of group status and avoid the current controversy. It is not a good look when we are trying to attract new participants to the sport. Come on Grehound NZ - show some leadership. That is what you are there for. Thank you. Ray Amer.

There are some races that do have semi finals(I couldn't name them) and I agree, they are a fairer format as well as being more entertaining.  Congratulations Ray on your win with Blue Review yesterday at Otago, looks like you might have a topliner.  

Ray, I think a little bit different , I believe classic age races ie ( derby, oaks, futurity ect ) should be heats ,semis and finals ,simply because you could have a late maturer  that is worthy of being there , by doing this you take out the bad luck in my mind....now nz cup .

and Auckland cup and all group one races outside classic age races should be for c5 dogs with c4's making up the balance ,as trainers you know well in advance these races are coming up c2 and 3 should not be there even under the rules  , it does not say open grade it clearly states c5 .

What is the rule regarding classic age races?  Every dog nominated must get a start?  We do seem to have a large number of these races with incomplete fields - vacant boxes or no emergencies.  

The heats / final series that I don't like the format of is the Waterloo Cup.  This is one of our premier races, and with dog racing being such a "dogs for courses" sport, I think it takes away from the event when there are often dogs in the final who don't race well at Auckland.  I've seen in recent years dogs qualify for the final who've had multiple runs at Manakau without even managing to run a place - but have qualified because they go good around Addington, or Cambridge, or Forbury.  I think that heats and finals for all races should be run on the same track.

What is the rule regarding classic age races?  Every dog nominated must get a start?  We do seem to have a large number of these races with incomplete fields - vacant boxes or no emergencies.  

If every dog must get a start, how could you have an emergency?

Shouldn't the #9 or #10 dog get a start without a prior scratching?

Yes, you're exactly right - it was a silly thing for me to say.  I guess the point I was trying to make was that the fields are often less than 8 because any scratchings result in an incomplete field rather than an emergency getting a run.