RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

Waikato club rugby

I have found over the years that new coaches bringing new players and supporters with them usually end up going nowhere.I mention Taupiri,Ngaruawahia,Te Rapa,Morrinsville and Hautapu in this category.Pretty good for a few years and then return to same old same old.Hamilton Old Boys,Fraser Tech and Marist seem tobe the most consistent clubs.I don't pot Otorohonga in this category because they are a one town team and by rights should be srong even though i personally think that they should not have been allowed in the Waikato Competition.

A sign of the times mate. I remember the days when both Tokoroa and Tokoroa Pirates were powerhouse 1st Div teams and Tok HSOB were 2nd div. now those 3 clubs combined struggle in the 2nd Div as SURF United.

Ngaruawahia won a Waikato 1st Div back in the 80s when 'underhand' payments were rife,same as Taupiri in the late 80s early 90s. But the Techs,OBs and Marist sides always remained strong.

Loyalty as we knew it though is long gone. Club rugby is struggling.You never see the ABs fronting like they did.

I have found over the years that new coaches bringing new players and supporters with them usually end up going nowhere.I mention Taupiri,Ngaruawahia,Te Rapa,Morrinsville and Hautapu in this category.Pretty good for a few years and then return to same old same old.

Spot on Crusty and the same all over NZ. New, supposedly hot shot coaches with new players does not work 90% of the time. 4 years on and they'll be gone and it's the same old, long time club members sifting through the wreckage and keeping the club going.

Look at Marist North Harbour. All the players have deserted them and now they are being relegated. This is the same club that has recent ABs in Anthony Boric,Tony Woodcock, Francis Sailii,Rudi Wulf and Ben Afeaki. Loyalty?

Cat - the names you mention never (or very rarely) played for NH Marist.     They weren't allowed to - either the Blues or the AB's made sure of that.       I'm not up with why they all buggered off but I have heard the expression "East Coast Bays Marist" bandied around    :)

Cat - the names you mention never (or very rarely) played for NH Marist.     They weren't allowed to - either the Blues or the AB's made sure of that.       I'm not up with why they all buggered off but I have heard the expression "East Coast Bays Marist" bandied around    :)

True that Lloyd although there was one game a few years back where Marist fielded 4 All Blacks against North Shore,and The Pride weren't too happy!! Haha. And yes,many of the Marist boys are now at East Coast Bays,and I hear that now the two most promising players for Marist,Nico Costa and Francois Marais have defected too.

In Waikato club rugby this weekend Morrinsville who are 2nd to last defeated University the leading team.What i find unfair about this result is that Morrinsville had 3 of the Chiefs players in their team.layers earning 60k to 100k playing against amateurs.Also unfair is the fact that Morrinsville may have these players for a few more games and in doing so will in all probability avoid the promotion relegation round.Seems to me like another reason to not watch club rugby.