RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

80's Racing

MISS ALFIE was a fond memory. ('89)?

i heard her sit very wide all the way on a January Tauranga race over a mile..and she finished gallantly for a close up finish never flinching.

..i thought to myself that She'll be worth being on when suited, so i 'scanned' each week..for months as it turned out, with no sign of her.

the next i saw of her..she was written up in the trials in JUNE in the Central Districts..so all of the saving of a stake to punt her with was at the ready.

Trentham's Winter meeting arrived..and she was entered in R10 a Mile race with Chris Johnson booked to ride :) and had changed Stables into Mark Oulaghan's care.

..i contacted friends and eventually saw other punting friends at the pubs and the T.A.B. before and during the Saturday., Some of them i'd told them of months before of the Mare's name and her circumstance and warned them to 'be on' when she next fronted up!

Saturday arrived and i was mobilised around my venues..putting my name on her chances, and many friends who's sampled my tipping prowesses in the past, all put their token bets on.

Me!..i was all armed to punt her and invested $140 on her., 50c banker Trifectas, $10 banker Quinellas..and $20W / $60Place.

She and Chris absolutely Bolted in..taking the lead from 500m out and won by 'bout a dozen lengths., Lady Chinkara? ($2.60?) from Wanganui ran 2nd and Panuis Bud ran 3rd ($6.10?) who was visiting from Avondale (1:51 winning time)

..she paid $47s and $10s..the Trifecta paid $10K..and the Quinella was $90 something from memory

pulled close to $8K :)

Was Solo's Dream in the 80's ? Trained by a bloke up North. Stands out because started in a high class race at Ellerslie and old Glyn Tucker remarked " that if that thing wins I'll , climb to the top of Ellerslie member's stand and leap off " . It bolted in. Funny how it isn't entirely the class horses who stand out in the memory.

.....supreme glory spyro! And it was the oaks at trentham ,I remember sitting on the floor at nanas with the mat turned upside down with my racetrack drawn on it racing my cowboys and Indians,I commentated Keith haub style and my brothers horse always got beaten a nose by late finishes.1980,couldn't believe tuckers comment and wished I had a tenner on

There was hurdler who won a couple of flat races in between some hurdle races that he also won including the grand annual in melbourne in the early eighties,really liked his style,think he originated from NZ [no need to comment pogo].

Kaimoto I think it was spelt.

Crown Star

Storm

Hunterville

Vincere

Mr Hickey

But my overall fav was late 70s

Ballycastle.

Took out the Waikato, Great Northern and McGregor Grant steeples in the same season ridden by jumps jock G Cooksley

Kaimoto..."the Frog"...spectacular to watch.

Won the Australian Grand National with a very cheeky ride by Butch Londregan.

Ballycastle still holds the race (and track) record for the Elleslie Great Northern, I think.

Cheers.

Ashoka

Ballycastle won the Great Northern after the worst drought last century.  The Hurdles, which in those days was run two days earlier, was on a firm track.

The drought was so bad that on a client's Waikato dairy farm the only greenery at the end of May that year was the owner's son's marijuana patch.

But about 1980's horses.  In 1985 - 6 season, together with two other blokes I leased a filly that won two races, one of them a group two event.  When cleaning out the cupboards I found the receipts and payments statement for that filly for the season.  The trainers' stakes percentages were 30% more than one year's training fees.  These days a horse would need to win three group one events to see that sort of statistic come up.

Wow, look at the crowds attending the races in the 1980's. Bear in mind of course it was still the heady days of Yuppies & wannabes & the peak sharemarket days before the crash, but wouldn't it be great to get such numbers of people back to the races as we had then?  

SEA SWIFT (NZ) 1988 Auckland Cup