RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

80's Racing

GREEK MEER

RED THE GENT

MISS STANIMA

VONCETTES

BONECRUSHER  ... but not the first start, eh Gary ... ;)  the boys got the tip and laid 4 grand on the nose ........  flashing home .. 4th  (over 800 m at Avondale).

DRUM

FOUNTAIN COURT

..and FLYING LUSKIN was another., Zee~Films used him to make documentry coverage with a camera mounted on the underneath girth strap.

Can't recall what the 'doco' was called :(

Joe Karam was at least a part owner i remember.......

Horlicks

McGinty

Andagain ( backed it winning 1st leg double Avondale $ 203 win 1980

Arbe Chene ? ( 1980 Air NZ Stakes Lester Piggot )

Kiwi

....I thought and agains win was at ellerslie? The big divy at Avondale was Khansay in race 1 no 23 drawn 23 in the race card come in off ballot and paid plenty

GREEK MEER

RED THE GENT

MISS STANIMA

VONCETTES

BONECRUSHER ... but not the first start, eh Gary ... ;) the boys got the tip and laid 4 grand on the nose ........ flashing home .. 4th

.....first win from memory was on the inside course at ellerslie,still holds course record,high regards held the 1300 around 1.14.4

You said First 5 to pop into your head!, so here they are...Think would be 80s...maybe late 70s/early 90s (hav,nt checked)

Tono Bungay,Grey way,Fraxy,Poetic Prince,Steely Dan.

Fothers paid 60 winning the big juvenile at Avondale,I was there as a teenager with me 20 bux,my first bet at the window was at Avondale at 13 then I use to get little old ladies to place my bets....stevie wonder,clear gold,mr chicken George,clackamas...could go on for hours...silver samurai,atrapar Glynn tuckers cobham,hoochie coochie Henry ,the operator and my number one horse Homage

Maurine

Regal City

Spyglass

Sounds Like Fun

Dark Lace

Dungarven

all trained by the same trainer and ran in the 1989 Avondale cup ... 4 or them in the first 5 too :P

....was a night meeting,was at the 150 mark on the outside fence,Coleman rode the winner

You said First 5 to pop into your head!, so here they are...Think would be 80s...maybe late 70s/early 90s (hav,nt checked)

Tono Bungay,Grey way,Fraxy,Poetic Prince,Steely Dan.

All old favs. Was Tono Bungay ridden by Bill Skelton? I thought that was late 70's but I've been wrong once before ;)

London Trader was another fav of mine. Gus Glutterbucks name comes to mind with him. Did Eric Temperton train him?

I recall having one of my biggest single bets of the 80's on the Wellington Steeplechase. It was on Arthur Carwen. He paid around $10. I had $3000 on his nose. Was ridden by R Thompson who sadly died not that long after.

Crown Star won two Grand Nationals for Ken Browne. 

Hunterville won the third of his Great Northerns 

Sea Swift winning the Auckland Cup

Westminster and Mr Tiz deadheating in the Railway

Cubacade and Koiro Trelay winning Wellington cups

Speculation for Maurice Campbell and the superb but ill fated Southern horse Powley. Another brilliant horse that also left us far too soon was Altitude.

The very good mainland sprinter Flying View

etc etc 

On course when HUNTERVILLE won his third, on course when CASTLETOWN won his third, on course when ALTITUDE sucked it, :(

talking jumpers, PATRONE, Le ROY, Mr HICKEY, DEINOs RULER (a mud sprinter, who couldn't win at 1600 m and then won 2 steeplechases !!), Stevo winning on BOOMALONG and AFTERNOON ?,  taking Hillis and Gilles in every bet .......

and most of all, WATCHING from OUR open roof grandstand, before they decided to build their new stand.

Stephen Jenkins was also a dominant jumps rider. Peter Tims was another

Funny you should mention the grey Deino's Ruler. Pretty sure that was trained by the Archers. I took my mum to the Paeroa races and had a very nice bet on Deino's Ruler in the steeplechase. Was clear in the lead all the way and won by a street. Was ridden by one of the Archer sisters. Trudy or Judy? Did Trudy Archer become Trudy Collet? Lost track there.

Anyway we stopped at a flash shop on the way back home to Auckland and I bought my mum a beautiful dress etc out of my winnings.

Even now 30 years later my mum still mentions that "beautiful grey horse Deino's Ruler" and of course the dress and jewelry 

....I thought and agains win was at ellerslie? The big divy at Avondale was Khansay in race 1 no 23 drawn 23 in the race card come in off ballot and paid plenty

No I , still have the race card here. Paid $ 203 and $ 48.80  - Anzac Day Avondale 1980.    Was # 19 , drew 19 and was 19 - 19 in betting, ridden by late Phillip Alderman.   Funny thing was a friend's wife was one of those punters who could never go wrong. That day she chose to take the whole field in first leg with one horse in the second. Of course, she landed massive double. I was stilll  a bit mad with myself as I  as Andagain,  but also backed the 2nd horse. Never quinelled them and was over $ 600,  a fair bit of money back in 1980.

Not sure if it was late 70's or early 80's. Ken Browne had a 13 year old horse either having it's first start or it's first start for six or seven years. It was in a chase. Not certain if the name was Chessington or Choc Wallace as the Brownes had both of these jumpers and I routinely backed both. Which ever it was I couldn't believe a horse that old was having it's first start so I took that as a guide and punted it. The horse won. I've never seen anything like it since.

Was Solo's Dream in the 80's ? Trained by a bloke up North. Stands out because started in a high class race at Ellerslie and old Glyn Tucker remarked " that if that thing  wins I'll , climb  to the  top of Ellerslie member's stand and leap off " .  It bolted in. Funny how it isn't entirely the class horses who stand out in the memory.

Was Tono Bungay ridden by Bill Skelton? I thought that was late 70's but I've been wrong once before ;)

Yeah W.D Skelton rode 90% of time and I have fond memories of the form reversals from one start to the next...Was mid winter!

Other special favourites (have just checked my dusty old DB racing albums on the bookshelf). I love greys,frontrunners and class...

La Mer,Canterbury Belle,Horlicks,Bonecrusher,Kiwi,Red Tempo.

Clive Comet,On Show,No Show,Debs Mate,Northfleet,Pia Roona,Burletta,Avitt,Steey Dan,Lomondy.

And me old favourite cause he was my pops, and used to take my bets for me at 13 also....Lu  

The Top Ten.

The Dimple

The Twinkle

The Phantom

The Fantasy

The Phantom Chance

The Jewel

The Grin

The Solitare

The Glitzy One

The Diamond One

You forgot the best of them all The Pixie