RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
allaboveboard

Is Brendon Popplewell that good?

Thing about Steve Davis is that he loves himself.....I am sure he has pashed out his mirror many times.

I find him a bit goofy, dopey and drunk, and I get a bit bored of him when the trots are on, all he talks about are following the Sundon bred nags. In fact, I think he would make a great vac door to door salesman.

But, I am sure many like him. I think he does a good job at the sales.....But fronting,,,nah

Do you rate any of them?   I've heard him talk about the Sundon's but I think his knowledge on trots and dishlickers is limited so he reaches for a very basic formula. My dad always punted the Head Hunters in the mud regardless of their form. Maybe that's his go 

They have just been advertising for Trackside presenters where the requirements were to " inform the audience in a meaningful way, impart important information to the punter and maintain continuity in an interesting, thoughtful way..." ????!!!!

Applicants were also expected to have a wide knowledge of, and interest in Racing.

Presumably the job description has changed quite a bit since employing the current lot...

Can't wait to see these little gems......;)

Thing about Steve Davis is that he loves himself.....I am sure he has pashed out his mirror many times.

I find him a bit goofy, dopey and drunk

.............He is very approachable in public unlike many and seems very genuine....come to think of it he was slurring his words a little,carrying a brown paper bag in one hand and a mirror in the other? Yikes!

.............He is very approachable in public unlike many and seems very genuine....come to think of it he was slurring his words a little,carrying a brown paper bag in one hand and a mirror in the other? Yikes!

Steve Davis is by far my favourite presenter.  He's natural, says what he thinks and entertaining.  People either love him or hate him.  

If the presenters/comments people/racecallers had worthwhile coaching to smooth off rough edges, listening would in many cases be less painful.

Full credit to Tom Wood, who I reckon has improved out of sight over the last couple of years.  He is not yet a Tony Lee, but he could get there if assisted and encouraged by his employers as he learns the trade.  Why, however, has no-one taken him aside and told him that "awaiting for" horse x to enter the gates is clumsy English, and "waiting for" horse x or "awaiting" horse x are more appropriate? 

I know this will sound snobbish, but I wonder how much of racing's loss of public interest is attributable to many in the industry given public exposure (as on Trackside TV) coming across as uneducated or thick to the mainstream Kiwi.  The restricted vocabularies and uneducated expressions of presenters, trainers, stewards, and jockeys must turn potential owners and participants off? 

They have just been advertising for Trackside presenters where the requirements were to " inform the audience in a meaningful way, impart important information to the punter and maintain continuity in an interesting, thoughtful way..." ????!!!!

Applicants were also expected to have a wide knowledge of, and interest in Racing.

Can't wait to see these little gems...... ;)

_45966016_dsc01198.jpg

Everything about the Trackside presentation teams at shop window premier meetings has a stop gap look and feel about it. Even today we have yet another example.

Wellington Racing Club holds a Premier Meeting.

The race caller is George Simon. Very good caller but his area of calling is Auckland / Waikato. His spot at the Waikato Racing Club today is taken by a harness caller. A good caller but still a harness caller.

Lead presenter at the Premier meeting in Wellington today is Wanganui greyhound caller Mark Rosonoski. No slug or novice in all three codes but still the Wanganui area greyhound race caller.

In my opinion the race caller at Wellington today should be the regular Wellington race caller. The lead presenter should be the person who is considered the best and most familiar with all runners/trainers/riders at this venue.

Premier meetings = racings premier product yet we are still getting stop gaps. Time for Trackside to devote certain presenters and callers etc to specialize in a certain areas and field.

Is it that there are just not enough quality people to do the job or are there not enough yes sir no sir three bags full sir trackside presenters?

Russell Jackson thinks he's speaking to a radio audience., that's one of his problems.,

..another is using up time dribbling on about the feckin' TripleTrio..then finally crosses to Mark McNamara for a feature race the NZ Bloodstock Insurance Stakes!

never mentioned a prelim call while they were going down..as he was rabbiting on in his radio style..orating a whole lot of irrelevant filler from a previous race meeting.

In this style he has the cheek to offer gestures even..while thinking he's engaging the viewership!..or that They are choosing to engage him continuosly., just No bloody idea.

might be a nice guy but he's got all the wrong substance and craftings., he's simply a patronisation to have to endure., comments on form that he woulldn't have the first idea about too.

Guest 2Admin2

Nice touch to put the kiddies kastle so the commentator couldn't see the 1200m start! :-)

To Crustyngrizzly you write like your brain is less then a size of a pea.Next time get of your fat arse and go to Te Aroha a great crowd that many of the major clubs would love to have free entrance and racebooks.They are one of the few clubs to have a Group 1 and you sit at home with your $1 each way bets and moan about the club having the national anthem.Get Real and think before you write on this site no maybe that will not happen i forget you have a smail brain