RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
foxycon

Ban behind the stalls starting

Unbelievable start down south involving a barrier attendant caught in front of the stalls when the horses were released.

Just scrambled in time to clear without it appears any injury after rolling under the hooves one horse.

Local Taranaki starter Brian Clements always starts from in front of the stalls and it's about time the rest did for obvious safety reasons

Local Taranaki starter Brian Clements always starts from in front of the stalls and it's about time the rest did for obvious safety reasons

Makes sense, just watching the HB starter and he starts with a view from the back as well.

The best starter in the country always started from the the front. ALAN McKAY. I think he is now retired but he had an impecible record and always gave everything a fair chance. Would love to know if he ever had a false start or something similer.

Unbelievable start down south involving a barrier attendant caught in front of the stalls when the horses were released.

Just scrambled in time to clear without it appears any injury after rolling under the hooves one horse.

I don't know where you start races, but I think you should do what the stipes have done and have a little time out before you go into panic mode over what happened today at Riccarton

It's a starter's worse nightmare to have one of their staff run over, but there are always mitigating circumstances to any incident like that.

Stephanie, if you read this, then I support you in starting races from behind the gates as I believe it gives you the best feel as to what's going on and direct communication with the jockeys.

I start the races in Hong Kong and have to start out in front because we have several horses in every race that wear blindfolds, and I need to make sure they are all off before despatching, but I still have to rely on a signal from behind the gates to make sure all is well there. If there were no blinds here then I would push for starting from behind.

The only solution I would offer is to have someone signal to the starter when the last attendant is clear.

Keep in mind all you experts that these new gates you all wanted are alive at all times, not like the old gates that cannot open until the last plug is in place which then gives the starter the all clear to go.

I am not knocking the gates, I think they are very good, but different procedures need to be adopted for different equipment, and I'm sure this will happen.

I don't know where you start races, but I think you should do what the stipes have done and have a little time out before you go into panic mode over what happened today at Riccarton

It's a starter's worse nightmare to have one of their staff run over, but there are always mitigating circumstances to any incident like that.

Stephanie, if you read this, then I support you in starting races from behind the gates as I believe it gives you the best feel as to what's going on and direct communication with the jockeys.

I start the races in Hong Kong and have to start out in front because we have several horses in every race that wear blindfolds, and I need to make sure they are all off before despatching, but I still have to rely on a signal from behind the gates to make sure all is well there. If there were no blinds here then I would push for starting from behind.

The only solution I would offer is to have someone signal to the starter when the last attendant is clear.

Keep in mind all you experts that these new gates you all wanted are alive at all times, not like the old gates that cannot open until the last plug is in place which then gives the starter the all clear to go.

I am not knocking the gates, I think they are very good, but different procedures need to be adopted for different equipment, and I'm sure this will happen.

Why have jockeys not allowed to dismount their horses around at the start unless held ,attendants have to wear crash helmets and body protectors and you carry on wanting to allow the most dangerous practice of all.

Clearly yesterdays incidence shouldn't of happened with very very bright safety yellow green raincoats the attendants were wearing. Simply no excuse could be afforded to allow behind the stalls starting to carry on.

Also I have seen horses get tangled in the ladders and equipment behind the stalls on TV

The best starter in the country always started from the the front. ALAN McKAY. I think he is now retired but he had an impecible record and always gave everything a fair chance. Would love to know if he ever had a false start or something similer.

Why don't you ask his Mrs? ;)

Well said Tony. I was wondering when someone who actually knew what they where talking about was going to say something.

Tell me why Stephanie started from in front in the next then.?

It is incredible that this sort of incident could even occur - a man with a flag to signal that the front of the stalls are clear would suffice. That this incident has been brushed under the carpet is even more incredible. The potential carnage it could have caused is easy to imagine and it was pure luck that it was avoided. A death or serious injury to the attendant, a jockey or a horse would have made headline news and would have done the sport a great deal of harm.

It is incredible that this sort of incident could even occur - a man with a flag to signal that the front of the stalls are clear would suffice. That this incident has been brushed under the carpet is even more incredible. The potential carnage it could have caused is easy to imagine and it was pure luck that it was avoided. A death or serious injury to the attendant, a jockey or a horse would have made headline news and would have done the sport a great deal of harm.

Where has it been brushed under the carpet, I heard Cameron George talking on the radio this morning said there would be definite changes, so is this brushing it under the carpet???

Where has it been brushed under the carpet, I heard Cameron George talking on the radio this morning said there would be definite changes, so is this brushing it under the carpet???

Def not, Scooby...

I really thought there'd have been 'guidelines' set for starters - especially given the consequences of any errors or accidents...

I quite like the starter's side-on view at, I think, Eagle Farm - one of the big Brisbane tracks, anyway - where he towers over the front of the gates but close enough so that he can see the rear of the gates too...

Thanks for your input, Tony. Always good to hear from the guy at the coal-face...

What I like about the starts at Hong Kong, Japan and, I notice, even at Randwick now are those guys with the long ribbons that keep horses handy to the gates.

Steph would like to say a BIG thank you for all the support she has recieved from the jockeys, trainers fellow starters and racing people.

She is extremeley upset by what happened and all the support she has had means alot.

Steph would like to say a BIG thank you for all the support she has recieved from the jockeys, trainers fellow starters and racing people.

She is extremeley upset by what happened and all the support she has had means alot.

Yeah right what a great tui add that is[bET THE ATTENDANT DIDNT WHAT TO THANK HER} Maybe one of them will give her a job then, Cause there are to many mistakes in this one.

With the starter having experienced that, one would assume it will never happen again! Maybe with the newer gates it is harder to see where everyone is. Starter's assistant would come in handy here positioned in a place to give the all clear to the Starter. Just a thought. The new gates tho are a hell of an improvement on the old ones.

Gee Greenacres what a wholey than thou attitude you've got.

Accidents do happen and we all stuff up at times ( oh thats right with the possible exception of yourself)

Steph has put her life on the line many times, riding trackwork, riding in flat races and jumps races, training racehorses. She has had some horror accidents herself and she has still remained dedicated to the racing industry. I would be interested to learn your name and occupation. If anybody can enlighten me I would be grateful.

Gee Greenacres what a wholey than thou attitude you've got.

Accidents do happen and we all stuff up at times ( oh thats right with the possible exception of yourself)

Steph has put her life on the line many times, riding trackwork, riding in flat races and jumps races, training racehorses. She has had some horror accidents herself and she has still remained dedicated to the racing industry. I would be interested to learn your name and occupation. If anybody can enlighten me I would be grateful.

GREENACRES is a BIG waste of space Pam who nobody listens to!!!!!!!

Yeah right what a great tui add that is[bET THE ATTENDANT DIDNT WHAT TO THANK HER} Maybe one of them will give her a job then, Cause there are to many mistakes in this one.

Are you trying to regain the number one spot on the negative contributions hit charts?? It's a top effort you putting in.

An accident happened. Yes it should not have happened and it is lucky no major mishap happened except for bruising to Aaron. Hopefully it will lead to standardisation of procedures to ensure it won't happen again (and I am sure that will be the case). Watching TV tonight, Cameron George is onto things. A quick resolution would be great.