RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
sunlineboy

Riccarton Barrier Stuffup

Almost deadly!

Lucky is the word for that debarcle.

What was the starter thinking?

Everytime an attendant goes to front I hope like hell they dont open the gates, but today they did!

Think exactly the same thing SLB...Imagine the attendants heart rate when the gates sprung open

Very Very Lucky

She let them go quick, they were about 2/3 minutes behind..

They were running late because the stupid ambulance people were sittin at the start (havin lunch) while a jockey lay injured in the birdcage...................... Then the race could not be started until they got back to the gates!! Oh then they kept driving not worrying about the attendant who got run over!!!!!!

is that what would happen if the tractor that tows the barriers around failed to start,say at Ellerslie/Avondale 2000m or 2200m start and the horses are turning for home !!! wouldnt be good.

Nearly had debacle at Ashburton last year when there was a hitch moving the gates at the 2100 start!

is that what would happen if the tractor that tows the barriers around failed to start,say at Ellerslie/Avondale 2000m or 2200m start and the horses are turning for home !!! wouldnt be good.

the gates open in staying races for that reason... Always crosses my mind too, what if they couldnt move the gates.....

if my memory serves me correctly, the tractor wouldnt start at trentham one day.they pushed the gates inside the track after pulling down the running rail

Starting from behind is best , the starter can see all horses, they should have a man in front to give all clear

Agree with you 100% as I have stated in another thread on the same subject.

The late J Mudford sorted that out years ago, and he was one of the best barrier riders/starters in his day.

I'm sure Cameron George will sort it out and still let the starters remain in the place they are most comfortable.

Maybe the assistant starter should take a bigger role and check all is clear and signal such to the starter.

They start the tractor before the horses load.

Starting from behind is best , the starter can see all horses, they should have a man in front to give all clear

It is fortunate for all that neither man nor horse was hurt. One thing for sure is that the starter will never let it happen again - will have learned from this. I was amazed that the ambulance went on it's merry way without checking this fellow over, or did they not see him - perhaps they were in radio contact?????

Does anyone know know how the young jockey who fell in the birdcage is? He looked to have been concussed & pretty shocked from the stops he had while being supported inside.

It is fortunate for all that neither man nor horse was hurt. One thing for sure is that the starter will never let it happen again - will have learned from this. I was amazed that the ambulance went on it's merry way without checking this fellow over, or did they not see him - perhaps they were in radio contact?????

Does anyone know know how the young jockey who fell in the birdcage is? He looked to have been concussed & pretty shocked from the stops he had while being supported inside.

He was riding work this morning, Kay, so obviously no major damage. Looked bad though.

Interesting that the attendants skull cap fell of immediatley when he hit the ground suggesting it was not strapped up.

On slow motion replay even more luckier than first appears.

They were running late because the stupid ambulance people were sittin at the start (havin lunch) while a jockey lay injured in the birdcage...................... Then the race could not be started until they got back to the gates!! Oh then they kept driving not worrying about the attendant who got run over!!!!!!

And the TAB gets very irate when a race is running late because it does not fit in with their Saturation policy!

Nearly had debacle at Ashburton last year when there was a hitch moving the gates at the 2100 start!

Be interesting to see what happens at the 2500 start at Riccarton next weekend if it's still wet.....heavy gates and a tractor with not a lot of grunt on a wet track!

I heard the tractor wasn't great at it's job last weekend!

Be interesting to see what happens at the 2500 start at Riccarton next weekend if it's still wet.....heavy gates and a tractor with not a lot of grunt on a wet track!

I heard the tractor wasn't great at it's job last weekend!

Isnt it the same tractor that is used all the time.? How do you know it hasnt got alot of grunt??? Were you there or do you work behind the barriers ????So dont start blaming the tractor. Have a look at the person driving it, A carpenter never blames his tools

The tractor being used has enough power. The problem that could arise is grip on the wet surface. To get good traction you need weight and the right treads .The the tractor being used is a light tractor with turf tyres.

The tractor being used has enough power. The problem that could arise is grip on the wet surface. To get good traction you need weight and the right treads .The the tractor being used is a light tractor with turf tyres.

Thank you for pointing across the point better than me Password! Was thinking hard to try and word it right in the limited time I had hehe!

Greenacres, it doesn't matter how I know, I just know! I have ways and means ;)