RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dustydreamnz

Magic Bolt

I laughed when I saw the bookies had this dog at $1.45ff this morning as it was quite a good field and being a first starter.  Just before race start time he was into $1.35ff.  

I didn't know anything about him apart from the fact he had won a trial at Wanganui in 17.88 over 305m.

He wins today by the length of the straight in 21.46.  Must have been 40 percent fit or improved a lot since.  How many dogs run a c5 time on debut?    

There are very few stand out dogs at the moment, this dog looks to be one.   

Next big thing.. Bernie was very patient and has done an amazing job. Well done Bernie.

This dog will go places.

I do hope he gets beaten a couple of times before he reaches C5. Dogs that go straight  through the grades usually struggle when they get C5.

Magic bolt. Dog to follow in the near future!

I laughed when I saw the bookies had this dog at $1.45ff this morning as it was quite a good field and being a first starter.  Just before race start time he was into $1.35ff.  

I didn't know anything about him apart from the fact he had won a trial at Wanganui in 17.88 over 305m.

He wins today by the length of the straight in 21.46.  Must have been 40 percent fit or improved a lot since.  How many dogs run a c5 time on debut?    

There are very few stand out dogs at the moment, this dog looks to be one.   

dusty,

you get out of bed to late.

opened at 3,50ff

Seriously?  If that's right the bookies would have lost a storey on their building!  

That would be the biggest move I've heard of on our TAB.  Yep, I'm never up early.  

first time i have seen a dog win a qualy trial in 17.88 and open at 3.50.

im sure if it was ahern runner it would have been 1.90

I agree that whoever trains the dog has an impact on their price.  17.88 is not an exceptional qualifying time though so to be $1.35ff on closing plenty knew how good this dog was.  It was one of the great debuts I've seen, fastest time of the day.  

On trial day, if your dog can break 18.00 at wanganui it is flying

17.88 is respectable but plenty of dogs especially from the Ahern kennel have broken 17.80 in the past, the tracks have been slower lately though.  

Also there's no doubt some trainers don't have their dogs fully wound up on trial day.

The other thing was the trial was in December so chances are he's got quicker since.  

..i did think the field packs were quite nimble amongst themselves at times., expecting to see checkings..but then finding none., not withstanding the normal checkings occuring of course., i've found myself observing that way from seeming to've seen and read and even veiwed a bit of remedial work before a race having begun last week there somewheres.,

..the track might 'fly' now..with it's procuring held in a more perfect state that it is currently :)

Surely too much is put on the breeding and trainer in regards to price.  Boston Mona is a half to Boston Chanel, unplaced again yesterday.  I'm backing the smaller trainers' more and more because even though they tend to win less you get better value.  

It'd be interesting to come up with a definition of "large trainer" and then see if, by betting on dogs trained by anyone other than these large trainers, you can make a profit long term. I think you're right that dogs from the big kennels tend to be overbet.

Looking at February's Palmy meetings the Big Three local kennels (Ahern, McInerney, Freeman-Turnwald) had a strikerate of 14.2% (vs 11.8% for everyone else) but a loss on turnover (assuming $1w on each runner) of 17.1% (vs 12.6% for everyone else).

So they have a slightly better strikerate than average (they provided 35.4% of February's runners and 39.6% of the winners) but an inferior %POT ($1w on every dog returns a loss of 14.2%, $1w on every Big Three dog returns a loss of 17.1%).

It's a very small sample so whether it holds up longer-term I don't know.

It'd be interesting to come up with a definition of "large trainer" and then see if, by betting on dogs trained by anyone other than these large trainers, you can make a profit long term. I think you're right that dogs from the big kennels tend to be overbet.

Looking at February's Palmy meetings the Big Three local kennels (Ahern, McInerney, Freeman-Turnwald) had a strikerate of 14.2% (vs 11.8% for everyone else) but a loss on turnover (assuming $1w on each runner) of 17.1% (vs 12.6% for everyone else).

So they have a slightly better strikerate than average (they provided 35.4% of February's runners and 39.6% of the winners) but an inferior %POT ($1w on every dog returns a loss of 14.2%, $1w on every Big Three dog returns a loss of 17.1%).

It's a very small sample so whether it holds up longer-term I don't know.

Love your work mate! I'd be interested in the % of runners vs % of winners excluding the McInerney runners out of your sample?

12.5% strikerate for J T McInerney. 10.6% of Palmy's February runners, 10.4% of winners. 18.8% loss on turnover. So a lower strikerate than the big three combined, and also lower than average (if you're thinking "12.5% = 1/8th" you're right, but there are less than 8 dogs per race on average (7.90) so 12.5% is slightly below average). A better rate of winners to runners than the "small" trainers, but a much greater %LOT too.

So Ahern and Freeman/Turnwald combined provided 24.8% of the runners and 29.2% of the winners. 14.9% strikerate. Still a 16.4% loss on turnover though.

Of course these are even smaller samples than lumping the big three in together (Team McInerney had 40 dogs over four meetings, the other two combined had 94) so they're even less reliable.

I got up extra early to make sure I got it on fixed....If the TAB is going off the time it shows, then shouldn't we all get it at the same price. I was on at 8.27am, waiting, refreshing, and at 8.30, I never got the $3.50 advertised, it came up as $1.90.....Same time as everyone else, yet totally different price. I got quite a shock when I saw it had opened at $3.50 when at 8.30am it was showing $1.90...Cant understand this....

Is definitely going to be a dog to follow, a few unhappy people at how good the dog actually is, going off the sourness of some on course, but I put that down to jealousy! "It wont last long with him, blah blah blah" "He'll ruin it blah blah blah"... 

GOOD ON YA BERNIE!!!! 

I got up extra early to make sure I got it on fixed....If the TAB is going off the time it shows, then shouldn't we all get it at the same price. I was on at 8.27am, waiting, refreshing, and at 8.30, I never got the $3.50 advertised, it came up as $1.90.....Same time as everyone else, yet totally different price. I got quite a shock when I saw it had opened at $3.50 when at 8.30am it was showing $1.90...Cant understand this....

Is definitely going to be a dog to follow, a few unhappy people at how good the dog actually is, going off the sourness of some on course, but I put that down to jealousy! "It wont last long with him, blah blah blah" "He'll ruin it blah blah blah"...

GOOD ON YA BERNIE!!!!

Name and shame!!

GOOD ON YA BERNIE!!!!

Mine time stamped 8;32 Howrude at $3-50. Time for a new clock????