RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
petitpunter

Pops/ And 2Plus Investigation Outcome,

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about the interview between pops and  Mark and my concerns about how people asking for money for their children could go to air without going through the proper channels,  

For some reason race cafe shut the thread down, I had told all that i would let interested parties know the outcome of my complaint which I received Friday and is posted below, 

Matter closed for me, some thought I was on a personal witch hunt which was not the case, just care about the industry being run better and that all have to follow the correct rules, 

********************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for your Broadcasting Standards complaint, in relation to an interview which was broadcast on Trackside on Saturday 23 November 2013, between Trackside presenter Brendan Popplewell and guest jockey Mark Du Plessis. Your complaint was received by the New Zealand Racing Board (NZRB) on 25 November 2013. As you are aware, the NZRB is the broadcaster of Trackside.

The NZRB takes its responsibilities under the Broadcasting Act 1989 and the associated Broadcasting Codes of Practice seriously.
On receiving your complaint, the NZRB immediately undertook an internal investigation into the matter.
The NZRB has found your complaint to be justified. The NZRB shares your concerns with the appropriateness of the interview and regrets that the interview was broadcast on Trackside.
The NZRB would like to advise you that it has taken the following actions:
ï‚· We have reviewed, and amended, our control and checking processes and policies around interviews which are proposed to be broadcast on Trackside and TAB TV (the NZRBs television channels);
 NZRB Management have communicated to the entire National Broadcasting Team its expectations around what is and is not acceptable to be broadcast on the NZRB’s television channels; and
ï‚· NZRB Broadcasting management have taken appropriate disciplinary action.
We consider that the action taken by the NZRB is appropriate in the circumstances.
The NZRB is disappointed that this interview made it to broadcast on Trackside, and consequently that we have disappointed our viewers. The NZRB has taken measures to ensure that such a situation does not happen again. In addition, no donations were received by the NZRB as a consequence of this interview.
Please note that you have the right to refer your complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Authority, to seek an investigation and review of the NZRB’s decision and actions in relation to your complaint. Further information is available at http://bsa.govt.nz/.
Thank you once again for bringing this matter to our attention.
Kind regards,
Christine Hogg
General Manager, Broadcasting

I think there are no improper channels for trying to raise funds.    Outside of stealing that is.  If people want to support anything or anyone it is individual choice.  No one has a gun held to their head to financially support anything.

One could question Trackside and what appears to be free advertising involved in this case.

Guest 2Admin2

Sorry admin didn't mean to upset your rules,

You didn't upset any rules but I think that you are being unnecessarily mean - geez the game is hard enough for those that are committed and pitch up day in day out. Direct your ire at those who have no skin in the game but get paid bucket loads.

Guest 2Admin2

By the way if anyone wants to put an ad on Race Cafe for a good legitimate cause then go for it. I haven't asked the sheriff but I'm sure he would agree.

Sorry admin didn't mean to upset your rules,

I backed what you posted in the past and didn't realise that you were going to complain .

Great you had the balls to do so.

You have broken no rules in following your conviction.

Clearly it was inappropriate at that time and has been proven to be so.

Regards

Guest 2Admin2

I backed what you posted in the past and didn't realise that you were going to complain .

Great you had the balls to do so.

You have broken no rules in following your conviction.

Clearly it was inappropriate at that time and has been proven to be so.

Regards

Well only if he complains to the BSA and they agree

If I may ask a question 2Admin2???

First of all, I have to say I thought petitpunter had a point.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the courage to post and say so - that's to my detriment.  

I'm amending that now - too little too late perhaps - and apologize for being a wooz.. 

I think part of the complaint/comment is that it is perceived that someone in the position of 2+ shouldn't need to tout on Trackside to send his child to Aussie, Nar Nar Goon North or Outer Mongolia .  

After all, in the eyes of some he isn't on the breadline.

In the eyes of others, that's what parents do, go without for their kids  (which makes me extremely grateful I only have a cat)

Interview was probably done with the best of intentions of Brendan P.  - but the road to Hell is paved with those, is it not??? 

My question is:  I'm not sure why you say petitpunter is the Xmas Grinch.??

(Jeez I thought I was never going to get to the damned question)

Or why BSA may/may not agree with the NZRB decision.

NZRB found he was correct in his complaint  - which he was perfectly entitled to lodge.

He has stated the matter is closed for him.  Question asked and answered and I expect that was all he wanted. 

Lordie me,after all that thinking I feel quite exhausted.   :)

I'm not on a witch hunt - I have said my part got a response,

The response was predictable but it's done and I'm moving on, don't think a further complaint required,

Admin- I do agree but a senior jockey would earn a little more than the average kiwi, and I would think

Mark would do ok

As said this not to do with mark but about a process that's meets standards,

People can't be a law to themselves or can they?

Guest 2Admin2

Irish - you think that 2+3 is really doing well in this Nz racing environment? That's why he needs to "tout" and good luck to him. What's wrong with that? Afterall he is a jockey who puts his life on the line every day to provide a product for you to bet on. He obviously loves his child and I congratulate him on that. I've seen worse unpaid ads on trackside than his by people who have loads of dosh. How many times have you seen K F-E promote Te Akau!

Guest 2Admin2

I'm not on a witch hunt - I have said my part got a response,

The response was predictable but it's done and I'm moving on, don't think a further complaint required,

Admin- I do agree but a senior jockey would earn a little more than the average kiwi, and I would think

Mark would do ok

As said this not to do with mark but about a process that's meets standards,

People can't be a law to themselves or can they?

I don't necessarily disagree but be consistent in your standards.

Irish - you think that 2+3 is really doing well in this Nz racing environment? That's why he needs to "tout" and good luck to him. What's wrong with that? Afterall he is a jockey who puts his life on the line every day to provide a product for you to bet on. He obviously loves his child and I congratulate him on that. I've seen worse unpaid ads on trackside than his by people who have loads of dosh. How many times have you seen K F-E promote Te Akau!

To be fair to K F E as you call her, mentions Te Akau no more than she mentions Waikato Stud or any other Stud that has success.  I think you only take it on board because you know she is connected to it.

How much does MDP pick up per ride before he gets his % of winnings? He has 25+ rides a week? I wouldn't exactly call him a battler, for someone in his position I thought it was rude and arrogant. He's made over $50000 in stakes alone in 3 and a half months of riding! I also agree with you petitpunter and thought it was a terrible look for both involved.

My feelings are that whilst the interview was an 'awkward moment', it wasn't exactly a crime against humanity and racing has far more important issues to address than trivialities like this.

I do agree that you haven't broken any Cafe rules, but I don't recollect saying you had so feel free to correct me on that.

What may have confused you is that we don't like seeing jockeys or trainers criticised here, and the rationale behind that is that we're all battlers, we work our arses off for little or no reward, we're generally everyone's punching bag, and yet we are the ones who provide the actual product for your entertainment and benefit, often at considerable cost to ourselves and families.

I see 2+ as being a good kiwi battler, and ditto his family, they're good kids and thus they deserve to be insulated from petty criticisms and insults.

End of story, that's just how I see it. 

Don't mean to be pedantic Sheriff, but your "we are the ones that provide the actual product" and "at considerable cost to ourselves and families" are not  accurate statements. The OWNER purchases the product, pays the ongoing training, transport, vet, jockey, nominations etc in good and bad times( such as the bloody ridiculous all-too-common abandonments) and as you well know the vast majority of owners suffer  huge losses financially.I would be delighted to have a horse gifted to me and only pay on-going costs if it was successful! Owner's involvement is born of stupidity rather than altruism, but just like you, we can "stay" or "go". If your business model in your most recent chosen career results in the hardship you constantly pedal then it is time to jettison your fiscally-delinquent clients, lessen your personal ownership levels or maybe embrace other business pursuits for which you are highly qualified.

I have followed this topic with interest and really cannot believe the jealousy that has been evident from many of the posts.

Mark is the hardest working jockey in NZ, his statistics prove that.

If you had listened correctly to the interview he simply said he was trying to teach his daughter to do some fundraising for her trip and as her father he was giving her a hand to learn this skill. He made it clear he was not expecting people to pledge , it was purely a news worthy item and if individual jockeys or other racing folk felt they wanted to help then so be it.

We all know many parents just write the cheque but what do kids learn from this, not a lot I would suspect.

Why anyone would complain to trackside is beyond me. What goes on in your pathetic lives??.

Also to lower yourselves to name calling by saying Mark is rude and arrogant is very sad, he is one of the most personable people in racing worldwide and is well respected by all that know him.

I bet he wishes he had never had the interview and been subject to the drama that has evolved,

Move on please and just for your information Bella competed at Werribee and won the event.

Wasn't that great for another kiwi kid to succeed on Aussie soil. !!!

Guest 2Admin2

I have followed this topic with interest and really cannot believe the jealousy that has been evident from many of the posts.

If you had listened correctly to the interview he simply said he was trying to teach his daughter to do some fundraising for her trip and as her father he was giving her a hand to learn this skill. He made it clear he was not expecting people to pledge , it was purely a news worthy item and if individual jockeys or other racing folk felt they wanted to help then so be it.

We all know many parents just write the cheque but what do kids learn from this, not a lot I would suspect.

Why anyone would complain to trackside is beyond me. What goes on in your pathetic lives??.

Also to lower yourselves to name calling by saying Mark is rude and arrogant is very sad, he is one of the most personable people in racing worldwide and is well respected by all that know him.

I bet he wishes he had never had the interview and been subject to the drama that has evolved,

Move on please and just for your information Bella competed at Werribee and won the event.

Well said.

As an aside - do we ever get asked if we are willing to fund the junkets to Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai and other exotic places?  

Hi All

thanks the support on this from many and been some interesting things raised, 

Sheriff- I understand your comments and I have said many times, this not a witch hunt on the jockey whom i'm a supporter of but about the process behind it, I have NO doubt mark's intentions were correct however it was how it was gone about, The real people here in the firing line are POPS and the team behind him letting it happen and not thinking it through and doing it correctly, That's what i complained about the process not the Person, ( So agree it was a awkward moment not thought through now its been looked at and dealt with)  :wub:

Sheriff- Can I can you to task a little saying no jockey or trainers should be taken to task? I'm totally against personal attacks however I would hope the CAFE site can talk about things in an objective manner if needed? maybe we all need to think a little longer before we fire off our shots,  :)

Noonu- Sorry but i have not personally attacked Mark and would not - just questioned the process and as the letter says it was found they did not go about it the right way, 

I have noticed more than trainers and Jocks being questioned as soon as people question the people running the NZRB, people get very aggressive very quickly and there is more of a defending the asylum than trying to look to make it better,  

When that happens one can only think that those at NZRB that follow this site are not open to look at themselves and what good they do for the industry and always cover their own butts first, I think unlike Jocks ,owners,trainers, at least they have a promised pay cheque every month with No responsibility so why would they want to look to deep at themselves?   

Well said.

As an aside - do we ever get asked if we are willing to fund the junkets to Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai and other exotic places?

Sure teaching life skills . Bella should have been there on TV as well for that to be plausible.

This was a personal matter only related to racing through Mark being a jockey .

The problem with this being that there could be a plethora of personal approaches to TRackside through various trainers jockeys owner stable hands etc and undoubtedly there will be people who will naturally support such approaches both financially and supportively.

The problem lies and I think NZRB will have realised that Trackside is one of the mediums for when it comes for financial support and awareness for the permanently disabled jockeys and their families etc or any other circumstance related to racing that needs such assistance

The circumstances regarding Marks interview doesn't fall within that category and has an effect if there were more personal interviews like that to erode the giving nature of trackside viewers financially to the needy plights of some.

Congrats to Bella for representing NZ well.

Regards

Mark explained and apologised why Bella wasn't there.

She was training as you do when you are competing in international events, anyway can't we just stop nitpicking.

You could go on and on about the pros and cons but what's that achieve.

You won't see me commenting on it again.

Guest 2Admin2

Noun- your a yawn - it's done officials said it wrong , it's

Nothing to do with Bella or mark it's the process,

Take it to the BSA and find out if it was wrong. NZRB/NZTR are a law unto themselves.

Guest 2Admin2

Geez the fact that someone got internally disciplined for this is an indictment in itself