RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Slackside

I have mentioned this previously however no improvement has been forth coming.

Once again you let yourselves down by your failure to provide  the result of the last race run in the North on a Saturday in a timely manner, particularly when it is an Ellerslie meeting on. It seems as soon as the horses cross the line you immediately switch to another venue, usually in Australia. 

We then get to see an Australian race, then get post race interviews of trainers, jockey and anyone else they want to imterview and then the result of the Australian race we have just watched. Then switch to another race over there and we get the same thing.

If we are fortunate after 20-25 minutes you give the result of the last race on the domestic front. This is not an isolated event, it is pretty regular and very frustrating in a very close finish when the winner is not clear. We are not even given the provisional placings in a tight finish. It happens so regularly that with My Sky I can rewind and time from when the race is run to when you provide the dividends.

There is usually a lot of interest in the result of the last race as it is the final leg of a Double,Treble, Quaddie, Place 6, Pick 6 so one would think it would be a priority, but this is not the case.

Today the last at Ellerslie was run at 5.27pm and as as 6pm no result with dividends was shown. Immediately after the race we were switched to Melbourne where following the race the trainer was interviewed, we saw Michael Rodd posing for photos with one of the owners, then saw him weigh in and interviewed about the race, then about the jockey's injury fund and the dividends for that race displayed. Not a word on Ellerslie. You then crossed to Trentham where we got an interview with an owner of Shuka and then into the last race there. And so on. At 6pm I gave up and so I don't know if you eventually provided viewers with the Ellerslie result and dividends or not.

Why do you continually fail in this regard? 

Great title for your post Teddy! Where do they find these morons running the asylum? Popplewell might as well go on permanent paternity leave. Week in, week out he congratulates the jockey, then trots out a cliche-ridden resume of the race we have all seen (" he trailed up and when you put the pedal to the metal he really let down" or some similar crap), and the answer to the question is then repeated by the panting jockey etc, etc. Don't have the same problem with Sweeney because you cannot understand what the mumbler is saying.How about asking some questions about the horse's handling of the conditions, whether it's scope may allow going further etc and pressing trainers to elucidate on potential future plans rather than "we'll take him home and see how he eats up". At least in Oz they are more forthcoming with disclosing future aspirations for the horse. Further, television is a visual medium so where do they find all these people with "heads fit for radio!"? I won't out them all but you know who I mean.At least organise some coiffure--Wood looked like he had come down in the drizzle at Trentham and Rosanowski permanently looks as though he is related to that boxing clown Kevin Barry.

But more to the point Teddy, you are right about the skill-set lacking on trackside--regularly miss the judge's call,failing to overlay results from previous races on live racing and overall the continuity management is dreadful.

Do they really care about the punter? the person that puts up the result after the cross the finish must bet on photo-finish a lot, there is half a length to a length sometimes and they can't seperate them. I noticed during the Melbourne Cup meeting they had three different TAB dividends up before the pulled up, are we that far behind in technology?

I am very grateful for the FREEcoverage provided by trackside and should i want a result i plug into trackside online.

I agree with you crusty...

We all know the TAB are trying to get punters to bet on as many races as they possibly can....

People complain that the divvies dont come up....Maybe thats because they were interviewing connections after a race....or maybe they had live races to show....

Results on tab site, radio,teletext...

If it really is that important to you hop onto the TAB website - it seems to come up there fairly quickly

I reckon trackside do a pretty good job wioth obviously limited resources- Live TV is bloody hard work(so people who are in the know tell me) and Trackside presenters are in the glare of those lights day in day out

As I often say guys - if you reckon it is easy line up and have a go so you can find out

Wouldn't it be nice if one of those 6 figure salaried people from Trackside would explain the situation - I mean they do read what is posted.      If just someone would come on here and say "We don't give a rats for you punters and because we got a monopoly we can feed you whatever we want whenever we want so Tuff guys"  at least we would know where we stood!

I can understand the frustration. I had a decent bet on Beauty Perception so watched the race live.

The finish was very close, the margin a nose, and while I didn't think he had got there, it was infuriating for the coverage to cut off pretty much as they crossed the line, to go to another Australian race which was also on Channel 62 FFS...!!!

Don't know who is making these calls, but someone needs a rocket in an appropriate place...

Generally I think Trackside provides an excellent service.

Plenty of races to bet on ,little time on occasions for trivialities like divis which are almost immediately available on Internet .

Plus the money soon hits your account.

I'd give Trackside a rating of 90% plus on a regular basis.

The blinds are a bit annoying but how many really want to see the horses pooing before the race [ a la the dogs]  and the odd off the cuff comment is nonsense if you care about that sort of thing but overall an outstanding service

We are lucky....a 90% plus rating ,ex entertainment !!!

..and at Southland, the end of R~2, they cut away from the replays to instead play 3 bloody advertisements!

Yep! Stuff the punters Eigh ;)

No head-on, no judge's call, just Nothing for the 'don't matter' SOUTHLAND club Either.

..there are 'no' young women watching bloody trackside on a Sat., when they Also programme 3 meetings on at once.

the management have no idea what their punter clients need, and didn't even put the advert on in a most correct slot.

Just more cruising by these salaried fools., and stuff the punter

At least at some North Island thoroughbred meetings Trackside viewers get to view post race comments from the winning trainer and jockey , in Southland and watching a harness race we are blessed to see the last horse pass the winning post before being whisked away to another race.

..the EziBuy ads should've been played After the Manawatu events..when heaps of time's still left until Waikato [seeing as there's no Aussie coverage].

..straight After the EzyBuy EULOGY Stakes was Run, was another dead-dumb easy time to put it on., and what did trackside Do!, they didn't play it...but played all the more typical ads..while the next at Waikato was still miles away yet.

Just  Hopeless they are., and look at the jammed up tight straight after Southland that MANAWATU Is!, just hopeless.

Generally I think Trackside provides an excellent service.

Plenty of races to bet on ,little time on occasions for trivialities like divis which are almost immediately available on Internet .

Plus the money soon hits your account.

I'd give Trackside a rating of 90% plus on a regular basis.

The blinds are a bit annoying but how many really want to see the horses pooing before the race [ a la the dogs]  and the odd off the cuff comment is nonsense if you care about that sort of thing but overall an outstanding service

We are lucky....a 90% plus rating ,ex entertainment !!!

You are very easy to please. If you were to compare the closest to home product coming from Australia, we are a way behind. The post and pre race interviews staged there are informed, educated and in the most part, very enlightening. They capture so much in a short space of time and you get to see the personalities of Australian racing. Here you are treated to the personalities of the presenters. Every person is an initial by name, whether it be jockey or trainer. It is tabloid slang trash, without giving due respect to the person they are talking to. 

Our local presenters are not improving. The clown from the central region cannot even pronounce the names of some of the runners. All they are trying to do is inspire betting on every single horse in every single race. But the reality is, their standards are those of junior broadcast school entrants and the reality is they do not have the training required to upgrade their performance.

One noticeable improvement has been the skilled responses coming from some of the jockeys. They have learned a lot and have a better understanding of the value of what they are saying to the viewers of the channel. So full marks to them. All we now need to get is better standards elevated by some of the interviewers.

If you want to understand what a comments person should sound like, listen to either Hong Kong or UK coverage. The comparison will make you cringe at what we are subjected to in NZ.

Well John maybe Saturday Aussie racing ,when they go around for $80k to $100k is presented a little better ,and not a grey hound in sight.......its a single meeting type of focus they work with .....there are presenters for each facet of the presentation often 4 or 5, more on big days ,sometimes one just showing the tote movements .

Racing is big time in Aussie ,as another post highlighted you can pay A$80 just to get in .....its a big business in a big country.

But Aussie has its wall to wall racing channel as well...and some of those lesser country tracks are real mickey mouse ....once they get the rabbits and kangaroos off the track ,and the commentators laughable, by comparison our guys speak the Queens English.

Many of our Saturday meetings are the equivalent of these second-tier meetings in Aussie and I'd say our Trackside coverage is vastly superior......often at Ellerslie there is one track presenter, they sit out by the parade ring and race around trying to get interviews in the stables back to the birdcage after the race ,up to the Press room to handle other media commitments they need to do to eke out a living ,they may also be jockey managers as well cos Racing in NZ is so small.

Plus they have driven up to 5 hours in dense traffic just to get there !!!

Nah NZ trackside does a great job.....and when the big Cup Days come they bring in Jane or Tommie, put on their roses......world class !!!!

As for Hong Kong , several presenters who do nothing but watch the same horses all work on the same track ,race the same horses ,big fields most of the horses have no form at all just filling up the big fields to entice the maniac public to punt.

They then pick 6 horses each often completely different  horses .....sure there's big money on offer but the racing is so sterile and they rarely tip winners ,most of their main fancies race 5 wide and finish 50 m behind.

And the spectators have paid $80 - $100 to get in. Big money = ben hur presentation.

Kiwis look at  HK in awe but according to betting figures turnover at their normal weekly meetings is pretty average from NZ.

NZ Trackside ,champagne coverage on a beer budget .....I'd rate them  a 90% plus in all types of weather !!!!

As for Hong Kong , several presenters who do nothing but watch the same horses all work on the same track ,race the same horses ,big fields most of the horses have no form at all just filling up the big fields to entice the maniac public to punt.

They then pick 6 horses each often completely different horses .....sure there's big money on offer but the racing is so sterile and they rarely tip winners ,most of their main fancies race 5 wide and finish 50 m behind.

And the spectators have paid $80 - $100 to get in. Big money = ben hur presentation.

Kiwis look at HK in awe but according to betting figures turnover at their normal weekly meetings is pretty average from NZ.

NZ Trackside ,champagne coverage on a beer budget .....I'd rate them a 90% plus in all types of weather !!!!

I think your completely off the mark in your HK thoughts... IMO the HK presenters are some of the most informative, intelligent presenters I've watched. They sure as hell don't all pick 6 different picks in each race. If your a true horse racing enthusiast the coverage doesn't get much better. Brilliant pre race coverage, superb post race coverage combined with one of the best commentators in the world in Darren Flindell.

I can assure you the HKJC wouldn't dare charge $80-100 admission, I think you will find it is more than likely to be under $10 NZL... Have you seen the crowds they attract for an average race day yet alone international day?

As for turnover, it seems to me the pools on the NZ tab are a lot higher than your local NZ harness meeting, I'm sure someone will have the figures tho. Whereas turnover in HK is at an all time high and the figures that are bet on a single meeting is unbelievable. They set a world class standard that is to be admired, combined with a brilliant website that provides all the information you could hope for. Stipendiary stewards that do a marvellous job where no one is bigger than the industry.

Yep, I love my Hong Kong racing!

Tasman Man, I am comparing apples with apples. Big days with big days and only gallopers. Not interested in the other codes generally speaking. If you think they are comparable, as I said you are easily pleased and good luck to you, but at least I know ReillyM and many others have a differing view. I am from a TV production background with a lot of experience.

I believe we can do a great deal better than we presently are. Good producing and good training is needed to upgrade the skills of the presenters. I like Tommy when he is on as you can expect to get a comment based on expertise and fact. Due respect to Jane, she tries hard, but doesn't get within 5 lengths of the lady from HK, in my view. Why haven't we harvested the expertise of retired jocks or retired trainers to be comments people at all premier meetings? You watch the All Black games and the comments from previous players are usually informative and valid, they see things you don't see and the same can be said for racing.

We have a ways to go, but we have to want to lift the bar, not just say it's OK as it is when clearly it isn't.

Sorry - the quote function isn't working.. I was referring to an earlier quote, highlighting the infuriating habit of switching to the next race before the field is barely past the post - when that's what TAB TV is supposed to be for!!!!! No replay, no confirmation etc etc...why do we continue with this ridiculous setup??? HOW HARD can it possibly be to get the people responsible to understand we've got two channels for a reason?

Ditto again today at Matamata after R5 - what the heck is the point of TWO channels?????????????

Whats the issue with Race 5 ??

We had a horse running ,there was a good lead up with most prelims ,a trainer was interviewed ,you could see the horses before the start at the gates ,the race was well filmed ,well commentated ,they showed a replay of the last 300m then it was time to cross to the next race where that race could be shown.

Sure the placings weren't confirmed but no way were they going to change and I flicked to the computer to confirm what I thought.....we just missed 3rd.

As an owner ,plus I had a small investment ,I was happy with the coverage...plus I Myskyed it ....plus it will be on the website before long !!!

Amazing !!!! Nearly as good as being there !!

Cheers Gary - I'm glad you're happy and sorry I gave that Alamosa a couple behind the saddle at the 100m [bhiwani] which probably cost you 3rd!!! :) Figuratively speaking of course!..

It just annoys me that they have to switch so soon after the race instead of just keeping it on our local product until the horse has weighed in and jockey interviewed etc.. If I want to watch all the races including from Aussie or wherever, I switch to Ch 62 and there I have it wall to wall. But when I want to watch the Matamata races I'd like to see them not switch away so soon. I thought that was the purpose of the two channels???

Anyway, in the main, I agree with you, that Trackside provides a service I enjoy and I watch it regularly; this is not to say they don't infuriate me at times!

..for example, Aiden Rodley when in the studio, drops his voice volume right down as he's staring downwards...and mumbles and muffles his pronounciation..so that it can't be discerned., then all of a sudden...lifts his head And the volume so that he can be heard once more.

Once again, No consideration for the viewer/listener...but the apologists will be Quite happy with that, as are his managers/employers.

No respect for their job..just cruising