RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
grossly misinformed

Dude!, wheres my arm??

Peter Jenkins wrote....

Someone should have added Gleam Machine who savaged Anton Koolman within an inch of his life and put NZ studmasters off Seattle Slew for life.

I certainly hope that breeders will not tar all descendants of Seattle Slew with that brush Peter. As you know Dalacine Farm will be standing Indy King a grandson of Seattle Slew this season and he would be the epitomy of kind tempereament in a thoroughbred stallion.

I recently read the following observation made by Bloodhorse Magazine contributor and resident pedigree analyst Avalyn Hunter (aka "Mahubah" ) about Indy king

I can believe horses' memories are very good. I saw Indy King several years ago at Adena Springs South -- he proved pretty friendly and after a few sniffs of my hand (on the other side of the bars, natch) stuck out his tongue between the bars to have it scratched. I obliged, and he seemed to enjoy it immensely. It was two years before I saw him again, and the instant he saw me, he came right up to the stall front to have his tongue scratched again. Coincidence? Maybe, but I sure thought he remembered something. - March 17 2010

Peter Jenkins wrote....

I certainly hope that breeders will not tar all descendants of Seattle Slew with that brush Peter. As you know Dalacine Farm will be standing Indy King a grandson of Seattle Slew this season and he would be the epitomy of kind tempereament in a thoroughbred stallion.

I recently read the following observation made by Bloodhorse Magazine contributor and resident pedigree analyst Avalyn Hunter (aka "Mahubah" ) about Indy king

I think we have had a big turnover of breeders since then Henri and there is no stain on Indy King due to Gleam Machine I'm sure.

I may have missed it previously but what's your appraisal on the stud career of Indy King's half-brother Brahms ?

Peter Jenkins asked...

I may have missed it previously but what's your appraisal on the stud career of Indy King's half-brother Brahms ?

Interesting that you should raise that question Peter, I am unsure why exactly that should be of relevance except that it is nice to know.

As part of the search for a replacement sire for Gone For Real many proven sires were evaluated and put up for consideration amongst which was Brahms. Based on his stud record Brahms was passed over. Brahms shuttled to Australia for three seasons but proved to be a disappointment registering just one stakes winner in addition to two stakes placed runners. His Northern Hemisphere results were statistically better with 10 stakes winners (3%) to foals. It would appear that his stock are better suited to North American racing conditions.

I would be confident that given similar opportunity Indy King will prove superior to his half brother Brahms (by Danzig) as a sire. Factors taken into consideration included the success of young stallions bred on the A. P. Indy /Mr Prospector cross such as Pulpit, Mineshaft and Malibu Moon. Probably the two most successful sires bred on the Danzig / Mr Prospector cross are Brahms and Monashee Mountain. Neither compare with the aforementioned trio in the breeding shed. Interestingly Monashee Mountain (by Danzig) is a half brother to Mineshaft (by A.P. Indy) who is proving to be a far better stallion at stud.

Its worth noting that Seattle Slew the sire of A.P. Indy traces tail female to Myrtlewood as does Mr Prospector, could this explain the sire producing element behind the success both on the racecourse and at stud for the A.P. Indy / Mr Prospector cross ? Indy King from limited opportunity has already done something which his half brother Brahms has failed to do and that is sire a GR1 horse in the USA - Pleasant Prince.

Sires and their brothers fortunes at stud would be a good subject for a thread on this forum. Names such as Transatlantic, Tai and Nostrum would be meaningless to most breeders, as would Yukon, Kentucky Gold and Red Ryder, not to mention Argosy, Charming Turn and Great Charmer. Who are they ? They happen to be the brothers of Northern Dancer, Mr Prospector and Seattle Slew who stood at stud and had nowhere near the success of the aforementioned triumvirate. If memory serves me correctly Great Charmer was a stallion which was imported on behalf of the late Athur Williams for his Ashford Stud near Otaki. Being a half brother to Seattle Slew what was his temperament like Peter ?

Peter Jenkins asked...

Its worth noting that Seattle Slew the sire of A.P. Indy traces tail female to Myrtlewood as does Mr Prospector, could this explain the sire producing element behind the success both on the racecourse and at stud for the A.P. Indy / Mr Prospector cross ?

YES ! A very fair assessment of Indy King's "advantage" over Brahms.

Great Charmer was a lovely little horse. He had a very sweet temperament, almost like a kids pony. He died in his paddock when he reared up and came down on an outrigger which staked him through the heart. No one had ever seen him rear previously (a mare was being led past his paddock on the way to the vet clinic). He was a midget in horse terms though (about 15.1 tops) and needed a lot of size to be contributed by the mare.

Given this factor and the knowledge that he had negligible racing ability added to the inescapable fact that The Minstrel was a poor sire of sires Great Charmer was as useful at stud as could be expected.

Descendants of his daughters might play some useful roles in future stars given his bloodlines.