RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Catalano

It's A Mugs Game Without The Good Oil...

From www.justracing.com.au

Still in Sydney and punters who bother trying to work out which one of “champion trainer” Chris Waller’s horses to back in a race when he has multiple runners, more than likely bombed out again last Saturday in Race 4 at Rosehill. The result of the race was proof that we should do what we did “in the good old days” and restrict stables to having one runner per race. It’s history now that Waller had four horses in that particular race and two of the four went like crippled soldier crabs – when Fulgur never looked likely at $3.50 and Secessio was run over late at $3.40. Fulgur and Secessio’s stablemate Hoylonny went on and won the race – but fair dinkum the only way a punter could have that horse on top would be from using “the dartboard method,” as 1) the cat hadn’t won a race for over 12 months (last win was 27/10/12) and 2) he came into the race with the form of last – 14th of 15 – spell – last – last. So cumulatively in his last four racetrack appearances he’d raced 41 other horses and he’d beaten just one horse. It’s hard to have a more pathetic CV than that.

The odd form reversal will happen in racing and I’ve been around long enough to understand that. I shake my head though as to how anyone could possibly back that horse last Saturday officially from $20 to $15. I reckon the stewards who are supposed to be all over betting moves like a bout of the measles should have asked Waller at their enquiry into the improved performance of Hoylonny as to whether the betting ring move was stable inspired. Naturally they didn’t bother asking why the two favourites blew like Cyclone Tracy that time, yet the winner firmed. Official fluctuations say that Fulgur opened at $2.60 and started at $3.50 whilst Secessio opened at $2.50 and started at $3.40. At the end of their stupid what I’d call “passive and useless enquiry” into the improved performance of Hoylonny, the stewards’ report noted, “Mr Waller was advised that, now Hoylonny had established form, it would be expected to race accordingly.” So as at today Hoylonny’s form reads 0-0-0-0-1. Let’s see what “some of the world’s best stewards” in Sydney do when this horse runs a shocker at his next few starts – or possibly even as soon as next start. This sort of crap is what is driving punters away from the industry. They just give up – never to return – like they did in their droves during Equine Infuenza. If Hoylonny had blown in the market from 20/1 to 50/1 and won last Saturday, well that’s fair enough, that’s a straight out form reversal, which obviously no one anticipated, however that betting ring activity tells even Blind Freddie who is standing there holding his faithful Labrador, that someone suspected Hoylonny would improve, but who exactly? Stewards should have found out.

Have you thought Fulgar and Secessio opened far too short and were poor value hence eased? Also, if the trainer tells the owners, " your horse had issues but he's working well, is over the issues and is a roughies chance at good odds". With that scenario, it doesn't take much to get the horse from 20/1 into 15/1. At NzTAB, a 100ew would get those jelly knees TAB bookies winding him in from 20/1 to 4/1 !!!

Yep, 20/1 to 15/1 is not a huge move percentage wise, but I'll bet the stable hands had a piece of it.

But isn't this what we love about Aussie racing.

That shady, deceitful, untrustworthy, on the take, underhand, rip off your own grandmother side of things.

Actually that sums up what we love about Australians in general.

There's not much punters can do about it, so rather than complaining, more punters should use it to their advantage.  I've learnt recently that in races with multiple Waller horses you can throw the form out the window and just follow the market on his runners.  I took a keen interest in the race mentioned due to the fact he had 4 runners and was planning on backing Fulgar or Secessio as I presumed one of those two would be backed, but when they both drifted and there was money for Hoylonny I backed it and had a nice collect.