RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
John Clydesdale

Good to see new stallions announced

Tavistock, Rios, Mastercraftsman and Swiss Ace in the last week.

I think off the back of Karaka this year there is a renewed confidence in the breeding market. Onwards and upwards from here.

Do you think there is any confidence in stake money going up for lower grade horses?

However I think any renewed confidence in the breeding market is only going to be felt by the small minority of breeders lucky enough to be selling in the higher bracket sales.

The other 95% of us mugs still chasing the dream are going to be providing a "product" for the TAB to profit from free of charge again.

It can't go on forever, for every 1 new comer to horse ownership, Im picking there would be at least 2 dropping out.

Check out the size of the fields for any central midweek meeting. Are you old enough to remember the 24 horse division races that used to be run at every meeting.

5% of breeders may be doing well in NZ, but racing is very, very, sick.

I agree completely bazzaq. The costs are going up, while in recent times the stakes have taken a considerable dive. No one goes to the races anymore, horse racing is no longer a part of modern society's priorities. I think NZTR and the racing board tend to ignore the white elephant in the room, they need to address why racing has declined so much and work towards fixing it. The breeding industry is of course dependent on the racing industry. I think the sport has sort of stagnated in the last 10 years, changes are inevitable and it is a discussion that needs to be had. I went to a G1 meeting a few weeks ago and even though some of the best horses in the country were going around it was dull and had little atmosphere. Rugby has embraced 7's, cricket is bringing something fresh with 20/20, what can racing do to move into the 21st century? Because currently we are on a downward spiral.