RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Nz Cup / Galaxy Heats

Always love this time of the year... Superb fields this Thursday night and 12 galaxy heats on Friday is a fantastic turn out for what should be a G1 race... Bit of a shame Bright Star isn't having a crack but that's understandable, she would be a massive risk the way she's been running lately anyway.

I think Raw Energy is massive unders at $9 to win the final, he's absolutely gutless when crowded and I would be very surprised if he puts his A game on for 3 weeks in a row...

Speed Legend deserves to be favourite for it, but has to be vulnerable with his box manners and no value at $11... If he does decide to start beginning better then it will be interesting to see what sort of time he can run at Addington... Would be one hell of a sight to see him on the bunny.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Boston Chanel goes, really switched on since coming across the Tasman and her form since getting here has been superb. If she decides to start jumping then she will be awfully tough to run down and is my roughie for the cup.

Look forward to hearing some good discussion on the superb racing ahead, if you don't enjoy these 2 meetings then you are tough to please! Will be back tomorrow after I get through these galaxy heats! Good luck to all connections and trainers making their way down for the meetings.

I'll have a go as I don't bet at Chch anymore because I think the track is too hard to make money at consistently so I can't put the mockers on! I'll do Galaxy picks later. Cup Heat 1-Opawa Webby Cup Heat 2-Ate Too Much Cup Heat 3-Opawa Jed Cup Heat 4-Know Attempt Cup Heat 5-Palucka Cup Heat 6-Russell Hart Cup Heat 7-Indi's Grace

I'll have a go as I don't bet at Chch anymore because I think the track is too hard to make money at consistently so I can't put the mockers on! I'll do Galaxy picks later.Cup Heat 1-Opawa WebbyCup Heat 2-Ate Too MuchCup Heat 3-Opawa JedCup Heat 4-Know AttemptCup Heat 5-PaluckaCup Heat 6-Russell HartCup Heat 7-Indi's Grace

I agree, bloody tough track to bet confidently on, throws up some crazy results sometimes!

Brighton Bullet

Ate To Much

Opawa Jed

Raw Energy

Opawa Swede

Speed Legend

Boston Chanel

Was keen to see Ritza Jack there but that last race must've knocked him around a fair bit. Shame as would've been a good chance with his box speed. Interesting to see Peking Tom there. I'm sure will be ready for a big run. I see Rigs has run pretty quick time at Wentworth Park. Still, couldn't have it first up Addington. Class animals all these 

Rene Ranger

Riley's Mate

Piggy Back

Raw Energy

Opawa Swede

Wayleggo

Pindari

Yes, I've never really worked out exactly why it's so rough there, there's good quality dogs but pocket lad suits me fine. Southland is the other track I really struggle but I do go well at Otago with mainly the same dogs racing. Wayleggo will be hard to beat, thought him and Russell Hart looked the quinella. Raw Energy should win from box 8 but he has let me down too many times. Best of luck to connections.

Always love this time of the year... Superb fields this Thursday night and 12 galaxy heats on Friday is a fantastic turn out for what should be a G1 race... Bit of a shame Bright Star isn't having a crack but that's understandable, she would be a massive risk the way she's been running lately anyway.

SQUIB racing should NEVER be elevated to G1 status! :P  Next you'll be wanting 600m horse races to be G1s :P  :o

Squibs aren't fast dogs as the "Sprint" race category misleads - they are short runners who can't sustain their speed on the chase, as the breed is bred to do.

Perspective - 24 Oct Meeting: 295m BON: 17.09 (17.26 m/s) 520m BON 30.06 (17.29 m/s)

The 520 dogs ran nearly 1/2 length faster.

SQUIB racing should NEVER be elevated to G1 status! :P Next you'll be wanting 600m horse races to be G1s :P:o

Squibs aren't fast dogs as the "Sprint" race category misleads - they are short runners who can't sustain their speed on the chase, as the breed is bred to do.

Perspective - 24 Oct Meeting: 295m BON: 17.09 (17.26 m/s) 520m BON 30.06 (17.29 m/s)

The 520 dogs ran nearly 1/2 length faster.

Yeah yeah, you've made this point before, lets try not get into the sprinter vs middle distance debate because in all honesty it gets rather tedious. Loathe them or love them, sprint races are here to stay, as we all know about 80% of all races in NZ are sprints, so I think they deserve a G1... 12 heats and dogs from all over NZ says it all...I'm rather looking forward to both meetings.

NZ Cup Heats: First 4 qualifying and 4 fastest 5ths. With the ease of qualifying conditions, one would expect the top trainers to have their dogs improve after 1st round heats.

JANNIK is a Melbourne city class dog with a Meadows 30.09 and Sandown 29.45 to his credit. Should be too good from Box 1.

GORDON BALE looks like prevailing in a tough heat. Jump and Run type who would've improved from good run same box,  after month freshen up.

PIGGY BACK 7/7 Box 1. Will be ready to go after 2 week freshen up.

RAW ENERGY Again racing with confidence - will get clear passage from Box 8 around the field, and race away.

KNOW CLASS going with his strength to run over the top of them in a field with too many questions over the rest.

RUSSELL HART looks like his heat with the out of towners to improve on the run.

BOSTON CHANEL looks the quaddie anchor in a weak heat and with Mammy Brown scratched. Box 1 will help 1st look at track.

Yeah yeah, you've made this point before, lets try not get into the sprinter vs middle distance debate because in all honesty it gets rather tedious. Loathe them or love them, sprint races are here to stay, as we all know about 80% of all races in NZ are sprints, so I think they deserve a G1... 12 heats and dogs from all over NZ says it all...I'm rather looking forward to both meetings.

Not getting into sprinter vs middle distance debate at all ReillyM. I'm debating the merits of G1 vs G2. Yes just because NZ promotes squib racing, 80% of NZ races are sprints, but that doesn't mean that squib racing deserves G1 status because of a majority. It just means majority of NZ races are for the defects of the breed.

Not getting into sprinter vs middle distance debate at all ReillyM. I'm debating the merits of G1 vs G2. Yes just because NZ promotes squib racing, 80% of NZ races are sprints, but that doesn't mean that squib racing deserves G1 status because of a majority. It just means majority of NZ races are for the defects of the breed.

As Reilly says, sprints are here to stay and the fact that most races are sprints is ample justification for a G1. If that's what people are involved in, they should have the chance for top honours. Just as we have a World Cup Cricket for 20-20. Purists hate it, I hate it, but it's where the action is. Gotta support the followers

As Reilly says, sprints are here to stay and the fact that most races are sprints is ample justification for a G1. If that's what people are involved in, they should have the chance for top honours. Just as we have a World Cup Cricket for 20-20. Purists hate it, I hate it, but it's where the action is. Gotta support the followers

bblunt, I don't hate squib races. The best cricketers still play at the 20-20 World Cup - the best of the greyhound breed are running in the NZ Cup heats and not the Galaxy.  And that is my point as to why G2 is more than enough recognition for the Galaxy.

I hate 20/20 cricket too, my fave is one dayers because it's a mix of attack and defence and I think 1 day is a good length of time to watch a game. Can you imagine if the Thoroughbred industry didn't have the Railway or the Telegraph at Group 1? There wouldn't even have to be as many as there are over the middle distances but surely there should be 2 or 3. Super sprinters of the past like Another Gale, Pizza Girl and Hifi Allegro deserved to retire Group One winners.

I hate 20/20 cricket too, my fave is one dayers because it's a mix of attack and defence and I think 1 day is a good length of time to watch a game. Can you imagine if the Thoroughbred industry didn't have the Railway or the Telegraph at Group 1? There wouldn't even have to be as many as there are over the middle distances but surely there should be 2 or 3. Super sprinters of the past like Another Gale, Pizza Girl and Hifi Allegro deserved to retire Group One winners.

how many group 1 over the sprint distance in aust

Galaxy Heat 1-Wandy Grant Heat 2-Sahara Rama Heat 3-Life's a Laugh Heat 4-Know Advantage Heat 5-Sting Me Heat 6-Dixie Lee Heat 7-Zebediah Heat 8-Go Housie Heat 9-Sophie's Terra Heat 10-Not a Know Heat 11-Damarjo Heat 12-Mary Marlow

There are a few good sprinters there but also a lot of mediocre ones. A lot of up and comers in Sophie, Mary, Damarjo, Follow fame, Chlli. But I reckon ol Dixie'll show em a clean pair

Tough racing for the NZ CUP heats my Predictions:

Brighton Bullet

Ate To Much

Piggy Back (Finalist)

Caboul (My tip to win the cup.)

Know Class (Finalist)

Spud Gun

Pindari

As well for the Galaxy Heats

Wandy Grant

Yabba Yabba

Sozin's Comet

Know Advantage

More Better

Dixie Lee (Finalist)

Zebidiah

Go Housie (My tip to win the Galaxy.)

Sophie's Terra

Know Wisdom

Starburst Josh (Finalist)

Pearls Boy (Finalist)

Just 'my' tips I could be wrong, I good go on to explain why i picked these but

I would be here all night :) Good luck to all trainers :) Caboul And Go Housie :) - ask about a dog if necessary  :)

I prefer middle distance racing to sprints like most punters/fans(actually like staying races the best) but that doesn't mean I don't think sprinters should be honoured. Ever since I got into the game around 2000 that is one glaring omission on the calendar. There should be a lot more big staying events too in my opinion but I guess that's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. We require more quality stayers first.

Can someone tell me rules for each series, i.e., how many go through from each heat etc.?

WIth 12 Galaxy heats i assume maybe 12 winners and 4 fastest losers into 2 semis and then top 4 of each into final.. ? Or something like that?

Bugger the heats, lets get a multi going for the final. Had success two years ago with my $5 into over 1k. Had Clone Your Own in first leg last year but crashed in the Cup.

N.Z. cup contenders for a multi - Rigs, Gordon Bale, Jannik, Riley's Mate, Boston Channel, Piggy Back. Really like Speed Legend but $11 to short for my liking.

Galaxy bit of a different story for me - More Better great value @$21, Bellwave @ $61, Sophie's Terra @ $31. Love Dixie Lee but as we all saw last year a $24 shot can win it.

Thought Osti's Pursuit looked a great way to build a little bank for Christchurch tonight. Runs his best races from out wide, minimal speed on his inner and if he gets handy it will take a very good dog to run him down. $3 on the fixed now, hard to say if it will drift or not, I guarantee Peter Early will talk up Thrilling Logic after his last win which admittedly was super but always needs luck with his racing pattern.

Thought Osti's Pursuit looked a great way to build a little bank for Christchurch tonight. Runs his best races from out wide, minimal speed on his inner and if he gets handy it will take a very good dog to run him down. $3 on the fixed now, hard to say if it will drift or not, I guarantee Peter Early will talk up Thrilling Logic after his last win which admittedly was super but always needs luck with his racing pattern.

Sounded like it went a shocker. Was plenty of support for fancy idol on the fixed earlier, not sure what it opened at but was enough money for logic, osti's to both drift. Bring on tonight!