RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Opo

A Labour/green Government. Should We Worry?

A Labour/Green Government. Should we worry?

Is it just me or do we face a real peril? As part of our survival genes we humans see threats everywhere.  That is why we are suckers for charlatans peddling fears.  But as MPs are fond of saying “just because I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me”.  So should we worry about the prospect of a Labour/Green government?

History is against National.  MMP is a system that requires partners.    The political circle will turn; if not this election, then the next.

What concerns me is not the wheel turning but how far it appears to be going to turn.  We have never had a Labour/Green coalition.  Helen Clark ruled it out as too extreme.   Most people believe that these days’ politics does not really matter so it won’t be too bad.

Thirty years of moderate politics has made us believe that this is now the natural order.  It is thirty years since we have had governments that actively intervened in the economy with measures like total wage and price freezes and an income tax rate of 66 cents in the dollar. You have to be getting Super to remember when New Zealand governments ordered “carless days” and regulated that you needed a doctor’s prescription to eat margarine.

Most voters think “since we have had MMP governments have been forced to be more moderate”.  I think it is not long enough to tell.  MMP could mean governments might be even nuttier.  MMP might mean the tail can wag the dog.......

Continue reading Richard Prebble's NZCPR guestpiece > http://www.nzcpr.com/a-labourgreen-government-should-we-worry/#more-9697