RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
racingsouthdude

Days Out Who Will Win The Melbourne Cup

I backed SEVILLE and TRES BLUE a while ago, and happy with them. I thought FORETELLER was a good chance, but according to Andrew Bensley last week he is skipping the Cup? You have to like FIORENTE, and is sounds like MOUNT ATHOS looks a better chance this year than last I like the look of ARALDO for a rough chance if he gets in, but don't know if I should throw in SEA MOON or not? Looks a great betting race at least!

After Dunaden has been the equivalent of a personal ATM twice in recent years in the feature races I will have to have a sentimental $ on him at those odds (seems to have worked ok in the week as well actually).

I am warming to the Moroney import - but find it hard to really nail one down this year.

Going to be a great few days build up !

I backed SEVILLE and TRES BLUE a while ago, and happy with them. I thought FORETELLER was a good chance, but according to Andrew Bensley last week he is skipping the Cup?You have to like FIORENTE, and is sounds like MOUNT ATHOS looks a better chance this year than lastI like the look of ARALDO for a rough chance if he gets in, but don't know if I should throw in SEA MOON or not?Looks a great betting race at least!

I think with Foreteller the original plan was to skip the cup, but since he was in such great form and getting on in age (ie may not get another shot) Waller decided to have a crack.

The Melbourne Cup as a betting proposition for me is losing its appeal due to the difficulty of lining up Northern Hemisphere form with Australian form. The last couple of cups I have not bet at all. It will be the same this year.

The Melbourne Cup as a betting proposition for me is losing its appeal due to the difficulty of lining up Northern Hemisphere form with Australian form. The last couple of cups I have not bet at all. It will be the same this year.

This is one of the best Melbourne cup fields I've ever seen IMO.... I don't know how turnover compares to 4-5 years ago, but I love watching the best horse's running against each other. I don't agree their needs to be more Australasian interest because the quality for stayer is just not here... The imports are taking over, this is just the start of it.

I'd argue that and say that is why it is a GREAT betting event. No dominate favourite/s.

Trying to match form etc to pick a winner. I'll be boxing up my top 5 for a % tri like I did (and won) last year.

ReillyM and Cat...

I agree with both your perspectives.

This is shaping up to be a real humdinger of a race.

The best racing the best always is.

This is what real punting is all about...judgement calls

However, despite the importance of gambling to the future of racing, it must always be the horses that take centre stage. Otherwise, there is no real reason for the existence of the sport and industry.

There are a multitude of opportunities for gambling.

All the best.

I have no trouble watching the MC and enjoying the best race against the best. Punting is certainly about judgement (and often lack of judgement) but it is also about knowledge. For me there are too many unknown variables in the MC. Too many horses racing first up in Australia. How have they travelled? How have they aclimatised? Do they enjoy the firmer ground than the going they are used to? Can they adapt to the different style of racing? Can their jockeys adapt to the different style of racing?

If you are happy betting without this knowledge than this is the race for you. For me it is a race I am happy to pass on.

talk...

I thought that you were denigrating the race because it was not a good punting race, in your opinion.

I apologise for misconstruing the intention of your posting.

You, like me, realise that punting and racing are separate entities despite being intrinsically related.

I feel that a lot of the problems facing the racing industry derive from the New Zealand Racing Board, despite its name, failing to recognise this indisputable fact.

All the best.

Ashoka

FIORENTE,  just has to be there, unbelievable sh*te ride in the Cox, and if ridden back will storm home and probably in.

A place bet certainty, esp with the 4th and 5th odds.

B)

yeah made good with the place, but I had the field in the last leg of the treble for 50 cents and would have preferred some one else  :lol: