RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

Sarten Memorial

Stunning field.

This race has been won by some useful customers in recent years: Fully Fledged, Katie Lee, We Can Say It Now...

And last year both the winner and runner-up went on to win a classic - Sacred Falls and Rollout The Carpet. And Fix came third, and she came close to winning one as well, placing in both the 1000 Guineas and the Derby.

And it looks like it might be a similar story this time around.

Surely it won't be only a Group 3 for long.

Stunning field.

This race has been won by some useful customers in recent years: Fully Fledged, Katie Lee, We Can Say It Now...

And last year both the winner and runner-up went on to win a classic - Sacred Falls and Rollout The Carpet. And Fix came third, and she came close to winning one as well, placing in both the 1000 Guineas and the Derby.

And it looks like it might be a similar story this time around.

Surely it won't be only a Group 3 for long.

Actually, I think the real quality pathway this year will come through the Canterbury Stakes. What do others think? 

If that's the case then Group 3 it will stay at least for this year.

There's definitely some class there too, although I think there might be one standout there, as opposed to what I think are six massive chances in the Sarten (Cosmic Cube, Allez Eagle, Spellbinder, Bounding, Fantastic Honour and Miss Foxwood).

Either way, I think the supposed Group 2, the Wellington Guineas, is the weakest of the three. Not the first time that's been the case in the last few years! So I wonder if they'll act on the Pattern Committee's suggested move to Oaks day.

Now theres a good race to bet into. I like Spellbinder at the draw but Cosmic Cube is a little pro and could give the fillies a big scare.

What do you reckon?

Not sure about Spellbinder - won easily in the Soliloquy didn't beat much that day or in her maiden.  I think her stable-mate might be a better filly and Bounding beat her hands down at Hastings.  So I'll have Bounding over Spellbinder despite the draw.  

I don't have Spellbinder in first three - Cosmic Cube, Allez Eagle and Bounding.

(but been wrong plenty of times before)

Bounding ran them off their feet. Spellbinder fought for her head early and Matt C won that one. You wonder idly what would have happened to her if he let her go but from an education point of view, restraint was the right call.

Didn't have a bet in the race but Astute Eagle's "parade" before the vet looked very unprofessional. I don't believe the horse was trotted up quick enough by the barrier attendant and should have been asked to go again at a better pace. The "trot-up" was also partly performed in front of the barrier stalls when most of the field was loaded and watching. They were lucky some others didn't start going off or trying to break through. Astute Eagle looked decidedly uncomfortable in it's "trot-up" and I felt sure it would be scratched. Remarkably it ran - and not surprisingly beat one home. After the race it received treatment for a laceration to the leg which the report claimed occurred during the running. I have my doubts....

I should point out that I have no connection with anything in the race and did not have a bet.

Vet wouldn't have missed lacerations if they happened in the stalls. However, he certainly ran well below what was expected. I actually thought he could win or run Bounding close but his run was well off. Unusual in recent times, to run them when they've been so upset beforehand...

Very impressive win by Bounding and cements her as the best 3yo in NZ,a belief I have had for some time.

The worse part of what should have been a good race,was that no rider could be held accountable to the severe interference suffered by Vitesse Rose.

The connections have paid just on 1k to start and are completely put out of the race,through foul riding.

When you have a look at the report it states that Spellbinder was getting on the heels of Bounding.How can that be when it was 3 wide at the time of the interference,After the intererence happend and Vitesse Rose had gone back through the field,then this allowed Spellbinder to follow Bounding and be one off the fence.To me the pressure undoubtabilly came from the outside horse[spellbinder]

When you see A Collett getting 6 days for alleging brushing a horse 50m from the finish and then you see a horse almost going over the rail and no rider can be held accountable,you have to question the abilty of the Stewards on duty. 

Very impressive win by Bounding and cements her as the best 3yo in NZ,a belief I have had for some time.

The worse part of what should have been a good race,was that no rider could be held accountable to the severe interference suffered by Vitesse Rose.

The connections have paid just on 1k to start and are completely put out of the race,through foul riding.

When you have a look at the report it states that Spellbinder was getting on the heels of Bounding.How can that be when it was 3 wide at the time of the interference,After the intererence happend and Vitesse Rose had gone back through the field,then this allowed Spellbinder to follow Bounding and be one off the fence.To me the pressure undoubtabilly came from the outside horse[spellbinder]

When you see A Collett getting 6 days for alleging brushing a horse 50m from the finish and then you see a horse almost going over the rail and no rider can be held accountable,you have to question the abilty of the Stewards on duty. 

Well go back and look at the race A Collett got that suspension(the Little Red Devil race at Avondale) and have a look at the earlier interference where the rider got exactly the same penalty for a very similar incident to the Sarten one.

They couldn't get any sort of perspective when there was 40 seconds between incidents - it is unlikely they are going to when there is three or four weeks

Top class filly who will outclass any other up to the Eight Carat

For sure. But I wonder what her connections will do with her after that? If she runs as well in the Guineas and Eight Carat as she did on Monday, the Filly Of The Year title is hers. So they wouldn't need to run her over 2000+ if they didn't want to. And I really hope they don't. A spell, then something like the Coolmore Classic?

Bounding's dam Believe'n'succeed was a speed machine ran a placing in the blue diamond after wiining a prelude from memory, 1000 to 1200 was as far as she wanted,so Lohnro factor seems to have given extra stamina and looks like 1600 wont be a problem but 2000 may be a stretch