RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Ruakaka Off....???!

Trainers blame the stipes.     Stipes blame the jockeys.     Jockeys blame the club.     So who's really to blame.      I know nothing about track maintenance and the like but surely it was known yesterday that there was an excess of sand on a sand track so I really would have thought instead of staring skyward and hoping everything would be alright on the day surely they could have started hauling the chains over the track and removing any excess that existed and also have filled the tamker with water to "dampen down any hot spots"   No doubt the club holds insurance to cover such events and surely included in this insurance is recompense for owners, trainers, travelling the many km's only to have to turn back.     I bet the stipes, staff like camera crews, tote sellers, and even George would have been paid so surely those with the biggest investment in the industry, the owners and trainers, should not be ignored.    And what about the Jocks - do they get any compo having to not only travel but lose their riding fees also. 

Guest 2Admin2

I don't get it - how much sand was on the track?  Surely you could just run a rake over it.  Does this mean there is no point in creating an all weather dirt track?

Donna Logan just on with Pete and highly pissed off.

Matt Williamson didn't have a problem with it but several "senior" jockeys decided it was unsafe so that was that.

A lot of owners, trainers, Club staff, transport people, caterers etc put out of pocket over this.

Donna Logan just on with Pete and highly pissed off.

Matt Williamson didn't have a problem with it but several "senior" jockeys decided it was unsafe so that was that.

A lot of owners, trainers, Club staff, transport people, caterers etc put out of pocket over this.

Who was she pissed off with? Her husband is the president of the club, and clearly the problem was of the club's making, as NZTR says "Excess sand from an area of extensive earthworks on the inside of the course proper had been blown on to the track by high winds overnight, accumulating on the home bend and straight."

....in ruakaka they get $10hr and a cut lunch trump...doesn't seem to be rocket science,sandy excavation wind?surely someone up there has some forethought?(obviously no-one taken seriously)the high wind was forecast and it seems from the worst quarter from a course proper perspective,not a good look for the club and ultimately the president who should take the blame squarely

Mr zzzzz...

I agree entirely with the content of your posting above.

The need for a properly-qualified and appropriately-authorised official to be in attendance the day prior to a thoroughbred racemeeting is an absolute no-brainer, in my opinion.

In fact, the NZRB/NZTR/RIU might be in breach of their responsibilities as this matter currently stands.

Is it not the case that the officials (NZRB, NZTR and RIU or a singularity or combination of such) are legally in control of a racetrack upon which a racemeeting is to be conducted from midnight of the day in question?

I can see how this Rule, if it still exists, could be overlooked but now that this matter has come to light, common sense suggests that action be taken now.

All the best.

Ashoka

Steady Gruff. Dean Logan epitomises everything that makes NZ racing great. He's the minister of voluntary labour, he eats, sleeps and drinks racing twenty four hours a day, he's a gentleman and a great role model so we won't be having a bad word said about him on Cafe thanks.

This situation was unique, a combination of extreme environmental factors in conjunction with significant earthworks designed to create a better track, and it all went a bit pear shaped.

No one person, or entity is to blame this time, it just happened as these freakish things do from time to time, and whilst it would have been possible to minimise the impact if the rail had been moved that didn't, and couldn't, happen as the gravity of the situation only became apparent late yesterday morning.

If you're going to attribute blame I'd be inclined to look at a breakdown in the 'system', ask yourself why the track wasn't inspected by the officials who make the decisions, in conjunction with the jockeys (who quite rightly have a major say in these matters).

I'd be inclined to demand NZTR and/or the RIU have a person on the ground at lunchtime the day before every meeting to avoid a recurrence, and to activate protocols if there is an issue. It can't be that hard can it, they seem to have unlimited money to spend on frivolous and largely irrelevant projects so why not spend it on something important like making a race meeting safe and a success?  

Don't mean to be pedantic Sheriff, but an examination the day before would have been worth sweet FA as the shifting sands apparently headed towards the "wild blue" during the night!

Very surprised with this one. Was just about to head leave Auckland when I found out. Do they know The Warehouse sells tarpaulins? Might sound a little cheeky yes, but really a couple of bricks and a few of those could have saved the whole meeting..

Mr zzzzz...

I agree entirely with the content of your posting above.

The need for a properly-qualified and appropriately-authorised official to be in attendance the day prior to a thoroughbred racemeeting is an absolute no-brainer, in my opinion.

In fact, the NZRB/NZTR/RIU might be in breach of their responsibilities as this matter currently stands.

Is it not the case that the officials (NZRB, NZTR and RIU or a singularity or combination of such) are legally in control of a racetrack upon which a racemeeting is to be conducted from midnight of the day in question?

I can see how this Rule, if it still exists, could be overlooked but now that this matter has come to light, common sense suggests that action be taken now.

All the best.

Ashoka

It's 7.30 am until midnight for what it's worth.

gary romano took the heat for tests results around the milk contamination debacle,how big an organization is that? we are talking about a racetrack here zzz , dean lives locally was well aware of the works and the weather so there should of been discussion between himself and the course manager...any beach going person knows how much sand can be shifted with high winds in a short period of time and that's their backyard....im not suggesting a lynch mob be formed but someone needs to put their hand up and be accountable,nothing personal,and hearing a glowing recommendation from you speaks volumes, and a nice change from putting the boot into aussies and the NZTR.enough said

Interesting comments made by Mark 2+3 on radio about 30 min ago. He was saying three of them got the blame (himself plus Innes and Cameron) for the meeting being called off, whereas in fact they (assume here he means track manager club officials etc) knew the problem existed the day before and did nothing about it. He said there was plenty of time to get people to the track to move the rail and all would have been well. His opinion I guess.

NZTR is paying compensation .

Great that things are going so well they have the funds available. 

Leggy will be impressed. 

If they have money to spend on compensation, I'd suggest they spend it making sure that these abandonments don't happen where the could be prevented.