RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Turny

Riccarton Carnival - any thoughts

Another winter Carnival at Riccarton has closed

How can it be made better.

Any thoughts on where it should go? What needs to be done.

If it was your club what would you do, to get more people on course and make it even more special

Think wide..............

I think both jumping events need to be on the same day, with a full card of races. Winter classic could have a wider promotion and become the Wednesday centrepiece with a quick-fire card. Jumping races on Wednesday could prove to be the lead-up to Saturday.

The middle day could better accommodate business folk after work etc. Having a later start at this time of year is completely do-able, considering its proper daylight til’ around 5.30pm. The possibility of holding a main race at the end of the card would work well here.

With a short Wednesday card (say 6 races), stakes could be increased for premier races. The Grand National Steeple itself needs to be further promoted, imagine if it got TV3 coverage like NZ/Melbourne Cup or Harness Jewels. Its all about marketing it correctly. Its great for Riccarton because the facilities are all there, so I don’t think it would be hard to implement a plan.

Come at me Kylie Bax. Hah.

Avi.

I think they need to structure the race program better eg. Day 3 they had open 1800. 85 2000 85 1600 how were they ever going to get full 18 horse fields in all of them especially on the final day when the track is genraly a slog pit. Day 2 was a 75 filly n mares race plus a few 65 ratings and maidens. Could they not put a higher rating race on day 2 and have a lower grade race added on day 3. Bigger fields would get more people there and more turnover

Why try and fix something when its not broken, Ask Mr Myers, what PR work has been done to promote racing ownership and punting

high lighting the fun had and dollars made by his connections. His brilliance not only lays in his ability to get horses supper fit BUT also his placement of runners in races carded by clubs for which he plans and trains for months ahead. P.S I have no stable connection with this Master.

I think they need to structure the race program better eg. Day 3 they had open 1800. 85 2000 85 1600 how were they ever going to get full 18 horse fields in all of them especially on the final day when the track is genraly a slog pit. Day 2 was a 75 filly n mares race plus a few 65 ratings and maidens. Could they not put a higher rating race on day 2 and have a lower grade race added on day 3. Bigger fields would get more people there and more turnover

Thanks Nek

Very strong points

I think both jumping events need to be on the same day, with a full card of races. Winter classic could have a wider promotion and become the Wednesday centrepiece with a quick-fire card. Jumping races on Wednesday could prove to be the lead-up to Saturday.

The middle day could better accommodate business folk after work etc. Having a later start at this time of year is completely do-able, considering its proper daylight til’ around 5.30pm. The possibility of holding a main race at the end of the card would work well here.

With a short Wednesday card (say 6 races), stakes could be increased for premier races. The Grand National Steeple itself needs to be further promoted, imagine if it got TV3 coverage like NZ/Melbourne Cup or Harness Jewels. Its all about marketing it correctly. Its great for Riccarton because the facilities are all there, so I don’t think it would be hard to implement a plan.

Come at me Kylie Bax. Hah.

Avi.

Like your idea of the main race at the end of the card - just too logical but has great merit. Thanks

The amateur race was one of the high lights for me to watch on Wednesday!

It would have been really special for these riders to ride during the winter carnival.

So many of these riders work so hard in the industry!

However the choice of race was a bit hum har...

Could it have been " and jumpers" to give many of the jumpers a flat race prior to Saturday?

It's a real shame there was few starters!

Just a thought!