RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hawke

Vote Acklin off NZTR Members Council

Sheriff...

In relation to the politicians, they support those identified as less than honest by failing in their statutory duty when presented with evidence of the conduct you mention.

I can vouch for this from my own person experience and if anybody would like to see the evidence, please contact me.

The post of Minister for Racing is an interesting subject.

This position has been filled by very capable people in the main, judging from the performance of the appointees prior to and following their holding of this position.

Strangely, each individual has done themselves no favours, nor the industry as a whole either, while incumbent. In fact, some very talented people have made fools of themselves while holding this portfolio.

This leads me to question the advice given to these Ministers. 

I believe that the performance of those who have staffed the Office of the Racing Minister over the years requires stringent scrutiny.

All the best.

Ashoka

According to the 'horses mouth' Acklin is eligible to be re-elected to the NZTR members council. Cafers - your views?

According to the 'horses mouth' Acklin is eligible to be re-elected to the NZTR members council. Cafers - your views?

Acklin is a fine man who has for years worked tirelessly for the advancement of southern Racing

It is unfortunate the sherriff does not like him or what he has done  we will wait and see what develops eh zzzn???

Good onya Sherriff, Pokies are a cancer on society and not only do they prey on the poor but have been corruptly managed since day one. Anyone who defends them as you say is either morally corrupt, receiving some of the dosh or both.

When you look at the organisations that receive pokies money ,a few refuse ,but dozens of community groups including many schools do so I'd say it would be hard to find anyone who is pokie-free or untouched.

The ttcf trust has had many outlets in the South Island so it is little wonder some of their funds go there.

Similarly the good folk of Waitakerie and South Auckland have been recipients of this trust so it is bit of a stretch suggesting South Auckland kids are starving to feed South Island racing.

Tasman Man , if you park outside the Glen Innes TAB (the poor mans St Heliers) you'll see a convoy of 14yo jap import Mitsubishi people Movers, most of them full of runny nosed kids and a despondent mother. Where are the fathers? In the TAB's pokie room banging thru the welfare. Have another think about pokies. They are played by those who can least afford them because it doesn't take brains or intellect to push a button and hope. Pokies are a scourge on society so don't be under any illusion that they are not.

here's the quote, just change the word children for the vulnerable/poor/uneducated/gullible/disadvantaged then remind me how you and Murray reconcile seeing kids go starving and shoeless in South Auckland so that the rorts of racing can be perpetuated in the South.

There can be no keener revelation of a society's soul than the way in which it treats its children.

Nelson Mandela.

zzzn

If I don't defend Acklin who will ??

Because I defend him does not mean I like him.

I believe in true justice not one sided abuse.

Seriously? if you truly believe in justice and decency you'd go to the TTCF website and check the DIA audits dating back to 2006/2007, or you might get them from the DIA, then do some research on the Jokers Bars. Blend the lot together and consider who has funded his behaviour over the years, and I mean who exactly slipped that $2 coin down the chute into the pokie machine...then tell me why any half decent lawyer with any sort of a conscience, or values that remotely resemble those of a civilised member of society, would defend him when he and his trust/bars prey on those who have no defence, those who're vulnerable and who need protection from white collar predators.

You keep defending him though Rumpers, keep perpetuating and defending that old racing culture of ripping off the poor to feed the rich, you'll go a long way in life doing that me ol' mate.

As you should well know I have been a lawyer for many many years ..most good but some bad. I have represented murders,rapists, thieves, vagabonds, forgers, gangsters,fraudsters, drug dealers ,dope smugglers, bird smugglers, many bookmakers in the old days including Jimmy Shepherd.the late Jack Shaw and his brother Tommy McDonald  also former boxing champion and shop lifter supreme the late  Paddy McNally  i even obtained probate of the will of Mr Asia Terry Clark  BUT   BUT  never ever would i act for a child molester and even in the old days there were plenty of those dirty old bastards  OI left tose cases for y former partner of 35 years plus Des Deacon

Now someone has to act for the assholes of life.. I am not acting for Acklin but someone has to stick up for him against you and zzzn. it is me  who else on this site has tried to defend him..he has tirelssly worked for the Racing Industry for years

As for pokies they are a shocking and terrible way to lose money

i recently went to licensed premises in Wellington at 8am in the morning and all 18 machines were being usedthey are a scourge on society

they have stuffed the racing industry by their very presence  Lotto is not much better  ban them all

In 1972 on Wellington Steeplechase day on course turnover was almost $800,000 now they struggle to top $200,000

Give Acklin a fair go buddy

to be persistent a criminal lawyer you can not afford a conscience    i do not have one except as far as kids are concerned

all Acklin has been doing is trying to divert pokie money back to the industry that rightfully belongs to it  so there stick that in your gullet

As you should well know I have been a lawyer for many many years ..most good but some bad. I have represented murders,rapists, thieves, vagabonds, forgers, gangsters,fraudsters, drug dealers ,dope smugglers, bird smugglers, many bookmakers in the old days ...

No pokie fraudsters? Yet?

all Acklin has been doing is trying to divert pokie money back to the industry that rightfully belongs to ....

Rightfully belongs to?

Doesn't the racing industry already have a monopoly gambling industry to support it?

Taking money from pokies is stealing from the poor to benefit the wealthier isn't it? Shame on you for saying that Rumpole.

Rightfully belongs to?

Doesn't the racing industry already have a monopoly gambling industry to support it?

Taking money from pokies is stealing from the poor to benefit the wealthier isn't it? Shame on you for saying that Rumpole.

Rightfully belongs to?

I can live the shame Leggy but thanks anyway

I'll let others judge you Rumpers but I will say that you clearly have some form of senile dementia with associated moral abrogation....get help.

Fine zzzn but it is not me that is being judged it is you and Acklin

If you had your way if,  and I say if  again, Acklin were ever charged with a criminal offence you would have him shot by a fireing squad before he even had a trial . You are so  one eyed, biased and bigoted I suggest you seek alternative medication

No Rumpers. It's not about being one eyed, or bigoted, it's about how you set your moral compass and what your values are.

I couldn't ever bring myself to have pokies in any of the dozens of bars I've owned, and nor could I sanction or condone any exploitation of vulnerable people, or their children.

That's the difference here, and your attitude clearly shows that you're a selfish, immoral old fool who lacks decency, civility, and a conscience. If you think different you're just kidding yourself, and oddly enough that self deceit is a common trait amongst your type. 

Sheriff,

I need to be educated. Who casts the votes?  Is this an "in house" club deal or is it on the level.

Tom

PS - Your debate with Mr Rumpole is interesting, for society at large.

Good article Sherrif, in fact very good.

If racing is perceived, as you say, as "dodgy" by key decision makers, who just may have some level of control on our future, through financial assistance, then we must change their held views.

Any thoughts on how we do this? 

Tom

PS:  I do not for a moment see Mr Rumpole and the Acklin bloke in the same class. One is very necessary, the other is certainly not.

No Rumpers. It's not about being one eyed, or bigoted, it's about how you set your moral compass and what your values are.

I couldn't ever bring myself to have pokies in any of the dozens of bars I've owned, and nor could I sanction or condone any exploitation of vulnerable people, or their children.

That's the difference here, and your attitude clearly shows that you're a selfish, immoral old fool who lacks decency, civility, and a conscience. If you think different you're just kidding yourself, and oddly enough that self deceit is a common trait amongst your type. 

again zzzn you miss the point .  What has a moral compass and personal values have to do with being a defence lawyer??

I for once agree with you on the question of children and also stated Pokies are a scourge on society but they are here to stay so you gotta live with them   so adjust yourself

you have indeed owned heaps of bars  how many bar owners are like you?? not many TG

I have to agree that I lack coscience, I am immoral when I get the chance, I am old but i object to be called a FOOL It is you who is the fool dear boy! Also I have no civility and  as for decency that depends on who she is!!

Rumpers you say you have represented bookmakers. By that can we presume that you mean "illegal " bookmakers? If so, how do you defend an illegal bookmaker?

Rumpers you say you have represented bookmakers. By that can we presume that you mean "illegal " bookmakers? If so, how do you defend an illegal bookmaker?

Of course i have defended only illegal bookmakers

why would i have to defend a legal one?????????

The Police have to prove that the accused is a bookmaker   burden of proof old chap

i have defended dozens over the years

many of whom are now dead

my late partner in law Des Deacon were the official lawyers for the bookmakers union from 1964 to 1973

we had some interesting clients

again zzzn you miss the point .  What has a moral compass and personal values have to do with being a defence lawyer??

I for once agree with you on the question of children and also stated Pokies are a scourge on society but they are here to stay so you gotta live with them   so adjust yourself

you have indeed owned heaps of bars  how many bar owners are like you?? not many TG

I have to agree that I lack coscience, I am immoral when I get the chance, I am old but i object to be called a FOOL It is you who is the fool dear boy! Also I have no civility and  as for decency that depends on who she is!!

zzzn

what has happened??

do you agree with my last response to you??

The bookmakers had a union?  Would loved to be there on the days they thinking of going on a strike,haha.

such characters as Jimmy the Shoe, Roger the Rat.,Arty the Dodger,and many others

the union was non striking affiliated to the Wharfies

But Rumpers, were the bookies you refer to illegal or legal? If the former, then surely sheriff's disdain for your "profession" is substantiated?

They were illegal of course. Why would they need representation if they were legal??

Virtually every pub in NZ had its bookie

and then there were the big boys who operated on the phones turning over 10,000 pounds  on a good day

you must be a young fella trump