RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce J Hadley

Premiership

Crans a good bloke and a very good trainer - so nice to see him win it.

But.... I must admit the 2 wins on the new stable runners did make a bit of a farce of it for me.

Interesting that Pitman was quoted as saying he had a few offers of horses to help in his pursuit of the premiership, but he didn't take them as that is not how he would want to win it. think I prefer his approach.

I couldn't also help but feel that if it had been another trainer that Cran was competing with who had never won the premiership - would people have taken a different view????

For an industry that's constantly struggling with integrity issues, and public support, this is just another reason for people to take their punting dollars elsewhere. Thank god there wasn't any betting on the outcome - even though, the morally right thing to do, would have been to have behaved as if there was.

I've long been a fan of Cran's ability as a trainer, and his quirky interviews, it's just a shame that he's stooped to this level to win a pemiership. A shame for him, and for the industry..

A hard fought second would have been a much more honourable result.

Is that all you've got? Move on...........

I'm sure in the past larger stables, either chasing a personal best, a record or a premiership, have continued racing horses last season that should really have been spelling, purely to extract that one or two extra victories instead of doing what is good for the horse in the longer term. Is that so different?

I'm sure there's much more wrong with your industry than a couple of Internet posters.........  

Idolmite, Kilcoyne - you are everything that is wrong with this industry.

Jog on.

Mark Purdon began the season in a training partnership with Grant Payne. Shouldn't HRNZ have recorded wins by Mark on his own account after the partnership disbanded 3/4 of the way though the season as it was Purdon-Payne ? They just kept a running tally for Mark solely towards the end, yet Grant Payne starts afresh when he starts Unique Chance. Seems like just another anomaly that HRNZ have created here & if they had posted a new individual tally correctly we wouldn't be having this thread.

Very true. I'd forgotten all about the partnership change. I guess that just goes to show these "partnerships" for what they really are, when one member keeps the winning tally, and the other guy walks away with nothing. I've never quite grasped why they've become so popular. I guess these must be some red-tape benefits, because it's hard to imagine some of the current training partnerships, being true "partnerships" as I understand the word to mean.

Mark Purdon began the season in a training partnership with Grant Payne. Shouldn't HRNZ have recorded wins by Mark on his own account after the partnership disbanded 3/4 of the way though the season as it was Purdon-Payne ? They just kept a running tally for Mark solely towards the end, yet Grant Payne starts afresh when he starts Unique Chance. Seems like just another anomaly that HRNZ have created here & if they had posted a new individual tally correctly we wouldn't be having this thread.

Absolutely correct - best post on this thread - well done Cran Dalgety!

Christian Banner, who was Mark Purdon's first winner this season, was trained by Purdon and Grant Payne to win a race at Addington on July 29 last season, then he won again on August 10 when trained solely by Purdon. 

So, Mark didn't start the season training in partnership. He officially went out on his own accord on the first day of the season. 

Well, there we have it - no partnership issues to blur the lines - just a contrived result to muddy the waters!

For a man that publicly stated a couple of weeks ago that the premiership WASN'T a focus, to then "borrow" some winners from family connections at the last minute to, in his own words, "get him over the line", is to say the least, disappointing. To then justify the tactics by suggesting that anyone else would have done the same thing to win a premiership, is grasping at straws.

I take my hat off to leading galloping trainer Michael Pitman who has also been locked in a close battle for national training honours, and refused offers from fellow trainers to temporarily take over some of their horses to enhance his premiership chances. Win, lose or draw, he'll have achieved the best result he could have - with his own stable of horses!

He  would have to  have  been embarssed to have all the fuss make oncourse and on Trackside TV on Sunday  ,hes turned the premiership into a bit of a  'Kissing your Sister " situation  where it will never really count , it  will be rembered for all the wrong reasons  for a long time , premierships should be treasured  and treated with respect , I  bet Don Bradmans records would mean nothing to him if his opponents  dropped a catch  deliberately or  had helped him at the expense of fairplay and giving your best everytime. Its a credit to  Mark Purdons that he spelled all his horses as planned for the benefit of the horse and most importantly the owners when he could have pressed on to defend the premiership . Hats off to Michael Pitman who was reportedly offered horses to bulk his numbers to do a "Cran" but was man enough to refuse   ,it will be interesting to follow the fall out from this ,I would have thought from a business point of view Cran made a very shortsighted decision !!!

There should be a new award at next years annual awards - "The Cran Award" given the most most unsporting event of the year. Mind you the people who should share the title with him (Butt - Chapman) acted just as unsportingly as Cran.

NOT CORRECT

Details below

05:57 AM 04 Jul 2012 NZST

All winners from the All Stars harness racing stable based in Rolleston, Christchurch, from now on will feature one name instead of two in the record books.

Mark Purdon will be outright trainer according to the stable's website. The release said Grant Payne would continue his role at the stable and without any downgrading of his status.

They have been together since 2008 and have won four training titles, 556 races and $14,076.154.

Purdon came to the decision to train only under his own name on a business basis and is at pains to point out it is no reflection on the man who has assisted him for many years now.

"The partnership really started (2007) because I was planning then to campaign Auckland Reactor in North America and expected to be away for some months at time. It was obvious then that that would not be the best way to run the local stable and Grant came in as a partner'' Mark said.

"Then last year I had plans to run a stable in Sydney where I would spend a lot of time and having a partnership here was again the best option. Now however I am going to be concentrating on my Canterbury stable and the same need is not there like it was.

"Grant has done a great job and his wife Jan is also a valuable member of our team and I hope to continue a close association with them,'' Purdon added.

As a follower of the harness racing industry for many years, I was watching the trainers premiership unfold with great interest.

I feel Cran has not only let his owners, family, friends, supporters and more importantly himself down. I don't know how he can call it a win or feel the achievement of a premiership if he didn't actually train the 4 horses in question? There is a difference in "Training" a horse, as opposed to a horse being put in your "Name" for a few days.

I see "Skippy Rascal" is racing on Thursday at Addington back in K K Chapman name as trainer? Interesting.

I would be very interested to know the transport details of all 4 runners to and from Rangiora on Sunday, exactly which location they came from, and where they went to after races??

Overall very disappointing for entire industry.

Newbie here folks.  I could have done without that info for I have been marvelling at how wonderful HRNZ is for providing the FULL Premiership table while in Oz we are treated like mushrooms as the best we can access is the Top 10 for each state :(

Check All Stars Website that could be helpful