RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GONSTA

Wanganui debacle....

I'm sure sulking on the net will solve your problems, I can see where you are coming from, but the stipe made the final decision, so there is not much else you can do except ask for a redraw, which I highly dought will happen

Alltheway.

Im sure you wont see any problem with the way it was done when your kennel gets its dog in through the back door into the final.. for now

Just read the stipes report from last nights racing and am shocked the Wanganui club decided to put the 3 third place getters and 3 4th placed dogs into a cup to draw names to make up the Wanganui cup final. 

Heat 1- no time avalible but 3rd place getter was 6L from the winner.

Heat 2- 30.28 ( 3rd place getter ran about 30.42 )

Heat 3- 29.91 ( 3rd place getter ran roughly 30.06 )

Now surely in this modern day the Wanganui club is not that thick that they need to draw names out of a hat? Or am i missing something here? Surely with technology these days there is a POSSIBLE way to get an accurate time recorded for that race. Their are people that have been doing sectionals for over 10+ years ( eg Neil Davis ) and i guarantee he would be able to give an accurate time for that heat rather than having to draw names out of a cup. 

IF i was in Luke Phillips situation and if in fact Finn McMissile does miss out on a place in the final then that is an absolute shambles and Luke Phillips has every right to feel aggrieved. I see they have opened an inquiry into his alleged offensive language towards office staff. 

I look forward to hearing the facts from what really went on on-course.  

I've checked all three times off the video.

Heat 1 Video Time 30.00 3rd Dog 30.40

Heat 2 Video Time 30.28 Official time 30.28 Third dog 30.38

Heat 3 Video time 29.92 Official time 29.91 Third dog 30.07

Thanks Neil., and the coincidence tandem to this posting's..that you've shown the club how to run it's races and 'series'..with intergity, parity and a 'justice-for-all'., summararily.."professionally"

[absolutely not the intention of your posting Neil., non th'Less..it machinates as such thoughpost-620-0-64618500-1373789081.gif]

A huge thanks to Neil Davis from formpro.co.nz to champion my cause to get Finn reinstated into the Wanganui Cup field which he was unjustly left out of, his support is much appreciated and he recognizes when a ridiculous decision has been made, seems like the stipe on the night Gavin Whiterod has the final decision,common sense aside ...let's just hope a rule is put into place so a situation like this doesn't occur again.

Look for his upcoming article on this matter on his website.

Think this situation outlines another example of the "rough enough" attitude of racing in Nz. This is a $10,000 race, this is supposed to be a professional industry, yet close enough and a shrug of the shoulders and "oh well it happens" seems to be enough.

Whilst it may be in the rules that this is the appropriate action there is 2 things that should of happened in this case that didnt which I think is extremely disappointing. The first one is that there should be an explanation into why the clock didnt work, the clock at wanganui has been subject to conjecture for a while, and the cause should be determined as to why and the problem fixed. The second one is why this draw was not conducted in front of connections, for the sake of transperancy and integrity the connections of all 3 runners should have been present.

Its a pretty sad indictment on the whole Industry when you can have people running the days racing when

this incident shows that they are way out of their depth.

A must is to know your rule book and how those rules apply. ( if they do apply )

Dont allow oneself to be influenced by a trainer who tells you to draw them out of a hat when there is no such rule that applies.. I would suspect that this trainer would have been at the Stipendiary Steward even before the 2nd heat was even run..

Nothing worse than having a trainer with a im alright jack attitude and F--k the rest of you..

Being able to think on your feet and common sense goes a long way.

Unfortunately none of these seemed to apply last friday..

But to have management quoting Rule 38.1 as a get out clause just shows how bad this Industry is in..

This Industry needs a good shakeup, from the very top downwards.

Think this situation outlines another example of the "rough enough" attitude of racing in Nz. This is a $10,000 race, this is supposed to be a professional industry, yet close enough and a shrug of the shoulders and "oh well it happens" seems to be enough.

Whilst it may be in the rules that this is the appropriate action there is 2 things that should of happened in this case that didnt which I think is extremely disappointing. The first one is that there should be an explanation into why the clock didnt work, the clock at wanganui has been subject to conjecture for a while, and the cause should be determined as to why and the problem fixed. The second one is why this draw was not conducted in front of connections, for the sake of transperancy and integrity the connections of all 3 runners should have been present.

if that's the case why not have all reserve and box draws in front of owners simply it doesn't happen, although I think the owners still have the right to attend box draws but in this case it is only a ballot for field,  they have a ballot for reserves and I would say the stewards have deemed times were not conclusive  so they proceeded with a ballot,  the same they do anywhere.   eg . if 2 dogs dead heat to qualify for a final and only one can make the field a ballot is conducted  rules are rules nothing has been broken

A great article highlighting the facts on Neil Davis's website formpro.co.nz

what would gary harding do if he was put in this situation  my guess is Wanganui grc would shaking in there boots

Wonder how long the Wanganui board meeting went on? The unprofessional way they have handled this and their failure to recognise facts sums up the way NZGRA is being administrated at present. The hierarchy hardly set a high standard to those below them.

Facts are facts and the Wanganui board are clearly still living in the Stone Age.

I also don't agree with re-draws tho. This situation didn't need to go to a board meeting on Monday night. If anyone at the Wanganui club had half a clue then they should have been able to work out ONE of the fastest thirds by the times recorded, next thing to decide was who would get the final spot, two options for mine. 1) Put the 2 names in a cup or 2) Get an accurate time for the race that failed to do so and work it out from that. The latter being the common sense approach and taking any 'luck' out of the draw. If this happened then no one would have a problem and you wouldn't have any hard luck stories.

Wonder how long the Wanganui board meeting went on?

There was a meeting for about 2 hrs with some of the GRA about Greyhound welfare programmes.

We then had a short Board meeting for about 1hr.30m.  We had another meeting last night with GRA for 2,1/2hrs,  about 4hrs all up.

Now if anyone would like to put in a remit to Wanganui about this or any other thing,

please put it in writing and it will be discussed on Monday at yet another Board meeting.

Just remember, there is no rule for this, and the Stipes make the rules.

Luke, I would have been upset if this happened to me,But I would not have picked on the staff.

You should have spoken to the stipe,like you talked to the staff,and maybe, you would be out for a long time.

It took less than two minutes to work out the correct times,once all were known,hand time-wise,but the assoc. and clubs would rather have no time,than handtime!

People in Greyhounds have to remember, each year Wanganui is about the only club that put in remits   to deal with all sorts of things ,not just my club,my dog syndromes!

Bev

Having looked and reread all this thread last night, i have come to the conclusion that some of my Language on this thread was a rather harsh and unnecessary .

So to all those that i may have offended or those that may have taken offence to what i had written I do apologize ..

Merv O`Brien.

Wonder how long the Wanganui board meeting went on?

There was a meeting for about 2 hrs with some of the GRA about Greyhound welfare programmes.

We then had a short Board meeting for about 1hr.30m.  We had another meeting last night with GRA for 2,1/2hrs,  about 4hrs all up.

Now if anyone would like to put in a remit to Wanganui about this or any other thing,

please put it in writing and it will be discussed on Monday at yet another Board meeting.

Just remember, there is no rule for this, and the Stipes make the rules.

Luke, I would have been upset if this happened to me,But I would not have picked on the staff.

You should have spoken to the stipe,like you talked to the staff,and maybe, you would be out for a long time.

It took less than two minutes to work out the correct times,once all were known,hand time-wise,but the assoc. and clubs would rather have no time,than handtime!

People in Greyhounds have to remember, each year Wanganui is about the only club that put in remits   to deal with all sorts of things ,not just my club,my dog syndromes!

Bev

but did your club have the right to overturn this decision

NO

So I rang Mr Whiterod and asked him, in light of the facts presented, would he be prepared to allow Finn McMissile into the field, as he was proven beyond any doubt to be at least the second fastest third dog, and draw the other two dog's names from the cup? He replied, "No, the trainer needs to appeal to the club to do that." So the trainer, Luke Philips, who just trains a couple of dogs at Amberley, emailed the club to ask them to allow Finn McMissile his rightful position back into the field, and do a draw with the other two third placegetters. But the club manager, Bridget Belsham, said after discussing the matter at a club committee meeting on Monday night, " The Board has decided to follow what the steward has ruled and the field will stand as is." that seems to be in conflict with this report

Bev your club had the opportunity to do the right thing after I emailed my protest to the club, don't make out you had no choice because you did, you are obviously very defensive about your club and fair enough, but I did nothing wrong here and followed every piece of protocol I was told to by the NZGRA.

Well according to the head stipe in New Zealand the club could of overturned the the decision,as Bridget Belsham said, they decided to stick by the decision of the stipe on the night, you did have a choice, so don't start telling porkies

I at times I maybe wrong . 

But I do not tell lies.

Bev

correct me if im wrong bev you said you had the times available to you very soon after race if so why wasn't finn put in race this whole saga stinks somethings not right