RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
dustydreamnz

Hefeweizen

I didn't think he was genuine on Thursday either but i was willing to give him another chance, but after today's performance he looks like a big time nonnie to me. Even tho he won today he should get put out for not chasing. Cost the 4 any chance of running in the money and obviously wasn't interested in the lure. Even had a go at the 8 dog afterwards. See what the stewards have to say I guess.

Agree on today's run mate.  It's easy to say he's chasing when he's flying at the finish but you've got to watch what goes on earlier.  An interesting dog is Adini, not a non chaser at all but watch him after the post.  Looks like he's playing in the park. 

Nothing mentioned AT ALL in the stipes report. They sure don't inspire you with confidence to punt do they... If this dog was chasing properly then i must have been watching a different race. Just because it won doesn't mean its not a nonnie. I remember Enazuma getting put out for fighting after winning a race and this looked an obvious one to me. But these STIPES must know more than a 21 yr old punter surely?

Agree on today's run mate.  It's easy to say he's chasing when he's flying at the finish but you've got to watch what goes on earlier.  An interesting dog is Adini, not a non chaser at all but watch him after the post.  Looks like he's playing in the park. 

Most dogs are chasers, but some are racers. The chasers have no problem because they are only focused on the lure. Occasionally you get a racer rather than a chaser. Genuine racers and genuine is the key word here want to beat the other dogs. They are not focused on the lure, but rather the leading dog. These dogs generally do not win by wide margins, they also stand off at the lure. The key to racers is, not turning their head, and passing the leading dog, and not playing catch up, that is getting to the lead and slacking off.

Problem here in NZ is the lack of experiance within the Stipes. I do not believe they are capable of seeing the differance on many occassions, its a very fine line between racers and chasers, and to recognize the differance you really need a hands on approach at breaking in which is completely lacking amonst our Judicial decision makers. Possibly Chris Boyd down Sth would be our most experienced Stipe when it comes to reading the psychology of a race.

Personally i don't have a problem with racers as long as they are genuine. One of my own dogs that was a chaser [ Aqua Sport] was one of my finest. As a brood bitch she left a Silver Collar winner and a Waterloo Cup winner both of which were mad keen chasers. All this is only my opinion.

And also a thanks to the Mouse and my old friend Ashoka. For those that do not know Ashoka, he was one of NZ's finest race Secretaries I ever had the pleasure of dealing with. And Modest Mouse, not sure who you are, but i like to think maybe you get the mouse name from one of my old girls Aqua Mouse, anyway a good and happy day to both of you.

A little off subject, i rang Jim Leach today, CEO of the NZGRA enquiring wether the 10% stake increase for middle distance dogs also applied to distance races and to my horror it dosn't. The Board in their wisdom or lack of it has only applied it to middle dist races. To his credit Jim was unaware of this anomaly until my enquiry. For mine this is a kick in the guts for breeders out there trying to do the right thing and breed stayers, and can only send negative messages for the future of the sport. Today we see at Addington 10 raffle sprints and two middle distance races, what a crap card of rubbish racing, i certainly won't be opening my wallet on rubbish such as that. For the life of me i cannot see the point in not applying the increase to the distance races as well. Its not as if it was going to cost much money as the amount of staying races in any one week you could count on one hand. Insane thinking for mine, what do others think.

It is no surprise that Mr Leach was not aware of the increase, from my dealings with him in the last few days he has no idea about what day it is, let alone what is actually going on in greyhound racing these days, a more proactive leader is needed asap ...just my opinion

And also a thanks to the Mouse and my old friend Ashoka. For those that do not know Ashoka, he was one of NZ's finest race Secretaries I ever had the pleasure of dealing with. And Modest Mouse, not sure who you are, but i like to think maybe you get the mouse name from one of my old girls Aqua Mouse, anyway a good and happy day to both of you.

A little off subject, i rang Jim Leach today, CEO of the NZGRA enquiring wether the 10% stake increase for middle distance dogs also applied to distance races and to my horror it dosn't. The Board in their wisdom or lack of it has only applied it to middle dist races. To his credit Jim was unaware of this anomaly until my enquiry. For mine this is a kick in the guts for breeders out there trying to do the right thing and breed stayers, and can only send negative messages for the future of the sport. Today we see at Addington 10 raffle sprints and two middle distance races, what a crap card of rubbish racing, i certainly won't be opening my wallet on rubbish such as that. For the life of me i cannot see the point in not applying the increase to the distance races as well. Its not as if it was going to cost much money as the amount of staying races in any one week you could count on one hand. Insane thinking for mine, what do others think.

There should be a 20 percent stake money increase in staying races.  We need to encourage people to breed stayers as you say John as there is a ridiculous shortage of races for them at the moment.   Almost everyone I know loves watching staying races and I've been asked many times, 'Why isn't there more of these?'  I always spend more on staying races and I'm guessing there would be an increase in turnover aswell.  For breeders, you only have to look at a dog like Rasmah.  He was so well bred and performed superbly over staying trips but yet didn't stand at stud.  I wonder if this was due to the lack of opportunities connections thought he might have?

There should be a 20 percent stake money increase in staying races.  We need to encourage people to breed stayers as you say John as there is a ridiculous shortage of races for them at the moment.   Almost everyone I know loves watching staying races and I've been asked many times, 'Why isn't there more of these?'  I always spend more on staying races and I'm guessing there would be an increase in turnover aswell.  For breeders, you only have to look at a dog like Rasmah.  He was so well bred and performed superbly over staying trips but yet didn't stand at stud.  I wonder if this was due to the lack of opportunities connections thought he might have?

I'm almost certain that unfortunately the great Rasmah passed away before he reached the stud paddock, he was most definately going to be used by his connections.

I'm almost certain that unfortunately the great Rasmah passed away before he reached the stud paddock, he was most definately going to be used by his connections.

Thanks for that Slim, sorry to hear that.  My point still stands though, I'm sure many well performed staying dogs would have stood if the prizemoney was higher and the races were more regular. 

I know where you are coming from Dusty and Johnno but lets have a realistic look at this.

One of the best stayers to race in NZ in recent times is standing at stud and has been for some time ( Vavatos) and to my knowledge not many have used him, that is after Gary Harding offering free services to winning bitches at Waikato and Auckland meetings. I know Max Mathews has a pup by him but have  not heard of any others. 

Prince Toshack and Sipper Rip were good stayers who stood at stud and looking at their results it may have been better if they hadn't.

A few Texas Gold pups have raced in NZ and I 'll bet you can't name one.

I was a huge fan  of Rasmahs but would never have used him as a stud dog because of his many racing foibles.

Can you name a stud dog that was a genuine stayer being successful at stud in NZ. They are a rarity worldwide. Dogs like Overtime and Thrilling Brat could run track records or close to them over middle distance and those types of dogs may be the exception.

With staying bitches it is exactly the opposite.

Maybe Slim,

I remember him almost failing to chase a few times. I have said before but will repeat my opinion of Rasmah.

There are only a few dogs I have seen in my lifetime that ended up in a position in race where it was impossible to win but did so. Swift Fanatasy and the early version of Thrilling Brat could and Rasmah did it on more that one occasion. Some of his wins were akin to Dynamo who stars on TV tonight.

I know where you are coming from Dusty and Johnno but lets have a realistic look at this.

One of the best stayers to race in NZ in recent times is standing at stud and has been for some time ( Vavatos) and to my knowledge not many have used him, that is after Gary Harding offering free services to winning bitches at Waikato and Auckland meetings. I know Max Mathews has a pup by him but have  not heard of any others. 

Prince Toshack and Sipper Rip were good stayers who stood at stud and looking at their results it may have been better if they hadn't.

A few Texas Gold pups have raced in NZ and I 'll bet you can't name one.

I was a huge fan  of Rasmahs but would never have used him as a stud dog because of his many racing foibles.

Can you name a stud dog that was a genuine stayer being successful at stud in NZ. They are a rarity worldwide. Dogs like Overtime and Thrilling Brat could run track records or close to them over middle distance and those types of dogs may be the exception.

With staying bitches it is exactly the opposite.

Interesting.  I can't think of one but then not many have been tried.  Why do you think staying dogs and bitches seem to be the opposite in terms of stud success?  Going on that theory the Overflo x Swift Fantasy litter could be something to watch. 

Just my opinion but staying type bitches  are the best chances of breeding stayers and also I think in overall breeding  of quality dogs. I am not sure about Swift Fantasy, she had a head of her own and God only knows what was going on there. She was more of a freak for mine. If she does leave a good dog or dogs I 'll bet they are bloody good ones.

You would have to say therefore, following your theory Mike, this litter Swift Fantasy has to Overflo could be very good with Brett Lee's speed close in the bloodlines.  Overflo being by Brett Lee of course.  Steve Clark already had a good litter by Overflo(x Royal Doll) which included Grizz, Peking Tom, Roy Hobbes and Thanks Mercedes.  Probably one of the best litters he has had but was injury ravaged. 

I never thought she was a non chaser.  Always had her head down to me.  Not all dogs have to lead alltheway. 

My opinion, Swift Fantasy was a classic racer, she never looked like turning her head and was absolutely genuine wanting to beat the other runners rather than chasing the lure, she was a breath of fresh air. As for breeding from her I have my doubts, not sure what she will produce at stud and would be concerned about their keeness. She's the sort of dog that the owner needs to follow through with at stud rather than going comercial until proven. One thing you can say about Swifty is, she wasn't a steroid freak like some other big name bitches.