RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
_ed_

Another ready to run sale?

It's the Sydney R2R sale, NZ vendors are to use the Avondale track for the run ups. I'm not quite sure why David has gotten on his high horse about the concept? 

Especially, why has he taken on Avondale? They've simply agreed to provide their track for the runups, presumably for a fee that will help support racing at Avondale. The blog makes it sound like they initiated the concept and how dare anyone start up in competition to the NZB monopoly? That's essentially the cartel which has stuffed NZ racing.

I'm not clear on what basis he determines that " The New Zealand Ready to Run Sale is the best in the world".

I'm even less clear how an alternative selling venue will undermine the opportunity for local horsemen and women to make a living. Surely an expanded market that provides choice for vendors and buyers is likely to enhance that?

If David chooses to not support the venture that's his business, but to try to coerce others to do so, seems a bit over the top and rather stupid to me. Shouldn't we be excited and supportive of new businesses wanting to enter the NZ breeding industry?

With all due respect to Mr Ellis, the fact that he is a great supporter of NZ Bloodstock Sales and has been a "keen" purchaser of Pencarrow Stud yearlings in the past, surely makes his comments rather patronising? It would be far better for him to let the market have its say regarding any competition for NZB sales wouldn't you think ?

Good words Sheriff. There is no doubt that the sales at Karaka in particular are arguably the best in the world. They certainly do the job for all concerned - buyers and sellers. But just as Magic Millions came and went in NZ, I don't think we should vent our spleen at anyone else who wants to start a competitive sale. The market will tell if that want it - that's free enterprise at work. Your comments re NZTR and Avondale are also correct, with Avondale infected with the Counties virus of "we can do it on our own".

WHY DOES HE WRITE EVERYTIHNGIN CAPITALS?  IS IT BECAUSE HE'S BIG, EXTREEEEEMLY IMPORTANT AND PAYS MORE FOR HIS HORSES THAN EVERYONE ELSE? 

Naturally, everone's entitled to an opinion on this.  However  I think it was a little OTT in some of the language used .... talk of treason etc

There's a message in there somewhere but I'm afraid I got a little turned off by the hyperbole ...  

He may only be the messenger, regrdless, he must take some responsibility for delivering it with its bullying undertones.

As to your point about the nature of NZB business as it stands Sheriff, I am in two minds. On one side, I see your point. If this goes ahead and NZB reacts as you suggest they might, then there will no doubt be an implosion as you say, primarily in the breeding, sales and marketing area rather than racing itself I should think.

On the other hand, I wonder if that might be necessary and in the industry's best interest, or at least an alternative to be considered, rather than persist with what sounds to me like a non-viable business model. Protectionist type strategies seldom remain viable for long compared with competitive ones in my knowledge.

Mmmmm........protectionism and monopolies underpin our racing at every level Leggy.

TAB, NZTR, one federal governing body, one media channel, one RIU, one JCA.....

True, although they are all statutory or quasi-statutory, and which of those is performing successfully?

I think the "tone" of David Ellis' article was the problem. Words such as "treason" almost reveal his close personal and business relationship with the NZB organisation, whereas if he had tempered his remarks his message would have been delivered probably more effectively. To use threatening tones blunted his message really.

I think the "tone" of David Ellis' article was the problem. Words such as "treason" almost reveal his close personal and business relationship with the NZB organisation, whereas if he had tempered his remarks his message would have been delivered probably more effectively. To use threatening tones blunted his message really.

Ae.  Well said Trump ....