RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rumpole

Commentators Today

Two calls I enjoyed, one from the late Bert Bryant during his call of a Steeplechase in Melbourne when the leader of a race put in a huge leap, he said " what a magnificent jump - he took off on Friday and landed on Monday!". To someone listening on a radio it was a very descriptive quote and very good for the listener to imagine the sight of that horse jumping. However, one of my favourites came via Keith Haub, a caller who definitely had a way with words. It was in The Auckland Racing Clubs' Group 1 Easter Hcp, won by Sedecrem. The race was sponsored by Jaguar and when Sedecrem got thru the middle to down Millenium, Haub said, " ...and the Mercedes horse has won the Jaguar!". What a classic quote at the end of a race.

Who Said  "in the twinkling of an eye"... she put 5 lengths on them (or something similar) I remember the call.

Can anybody help me? What Commentator? what Horse?

the late great peter kelly describing the electric acceleration of the unbelievable incomparable la mer.

Who Said  "in the twinkling of an eye"... she put 5 lengths on them (or something similar) I remember the call.

That was a Peter Kelly quote during one of La Mer's wins at Trentham....either the NZ Oaks or Desert Gold Stakes .both won with ease.

Aussie callers have had some beauts.........XYZ is pulling like a Collins St dentist !!!!

Tony Lee.....Pasta Post is pasta post alright ,he's killed them,he had the race 'parcelled' up along way from home !!!

David Clarkson.....they are neck and neck and stride for stride as they race for the judge's line.....I won't name it as they cross the line..just wait a moment it's a  photo.......the letter P goes into the frame !!!!

the late great peter kelly describing the electric acceleration of the unbelievable incomparable la mer.

Yeah na what an idiot...How could I forget that .  ...Thanks Fermoy.

It was reported at the time that Haubie said exactly what Ted suggested actually.

I didn't hear it myself but there was a great cartoon in the Friday Flash the following week with Beaufort Lass tapping him on the shoulder saying 'right here Haubie' 

Whichever way he said it a classic line from a master Commentator.  I remember him from the early eighties commentating one day at Riccarton(must have been a commentators day) - at the top of the straight in an 1800m race and without missing a beat says 'my God they're a long way away I wouldn't go that far on a holiday'

There were plenty who bagged Reon in his latter commentating years but want to think how he felt when they were twice as far away at the 1200m start

I remember that day Tom and the Haubie quip - it was a commentators day and I remember a couple of them talking about how difficult Riccarton could be due to distance and the angle of the sun across the end of the back straight and 1200m chute.

Reon still a legend.

Vic Satffer during an earthquke at Hollywood Park: "We're in an earthquake in South California.....by the way folks, I want you to know I,ve loved you all and racing was my first love.....these two go to the wire in a shaker.

And

Hilton Donaldson calling Black Caviar: "She looks at the 30,000 strong crowd and says, "Geez I'm good, no I'm not, I'm the best in the world you've ever seen."

manawatu sires produce "shes far too good and shes going to win it and win it well"  peter kelly.

gold trail stakes               "shes won it in no more than a canter" peter kelly.

desert gold stakes           "in a flash" peter kelly.

eulogy stakes                  "youve got to really see this filly to believe it,shes won it in a hand canter" peter kelly.

royal stakes                     "shes left them to it" sid tonks.

nz oaks                            "in the twinkling of an eye" peter kelly.

manawatu breeders stakes "in a twinkling" peter kelly.

manawatu challenge stakes "in a stride" peter kelly.

coongy handicap                  "too strong"

manawatu challenge stakes "shes only loafing and shes in a class all of her own" peter kelly.

awapuni gold cup                 "shes a galloping machine" peter kelly.

air nz stakes                         "coming after them quickly" keith haub.

and i cant recall what peter said when she won her swansong at hastings was it trouncing vice regal and co but as always it was absolutely spot on,in the hands of desy harris and in the purple colours with the brown band .hmmmm.those were the days.

..i'd only been following the horses..from about the early to mid~70s, and LA~MER was a spectacle special to me., and there were Many other 'great'/"Really GOOD" horses..in the adjacencies of not only her, but the seasons and years either side Too.,

..Fermoy., you've helped crispen my recall on these lessonings she handed out, whilst evermore gathering an increase in her athletic presence, and formidabilty . . .Thankyou So~muchpost-620-0-35318800-1373276929.gif

p.s., and we got to see her nearly everytime, on the old T.V.1~Sports, Saturday afternoon show.,"Sport on ONE"...Glyn Tucker, Phil Leishman..and Des?[not Coppins]

..shortly thereafter, that legendary Radio~Racing show 'was on', SATmorns, with the punting public qued and Glued to it., not th'Least of which for the weekly Joke :)

..sidetracking back into the commentating aspect, but still including the GREAT LA~MER, a highlight i'll never forget was Lester~PIGGOT proffering mastery in piloting ABRE~CHENE to that Air New Zealand~STAKES WFA win, and aGain, Keith~HAUB provided his accurate but adrenalicious call to That epic event as a race..Too

..the especial notoriety of ABRE~CHENE and Lester being able to Win that 2000m event, at W.F.A. Too, was that it'd mainly been a sprinter while fresher, then an even more formidable 'staying~sprinter' when over the 1400m distance., but the only other i've ever seen with our own 'God~JOHNSON's empathetics and balances'n'shifts, Was this Lester~PIGGOT chap, who i'd heard plenty aBout, but never'd seen him ride until being out here to ride that day at ELLERSLIE...and eversince i saw Him ride, i was then able to identify Chris~Johnson, AS in fact...'God~JOHNSON'post-620-0-54536000-1373278297.gif

..i'd only been following the horses..from about the early to mid~70s, and LA~MER was a spectacle special to me., and there were Many other 'great'/"Really GOOD" horses..in the adjacencies of not only her, but the seasons and years either side Too.,

..Fermoy., you've helped crispen my recall on these lessonings she handed out, whilst evermore gathering an increase in her athletic presence, and formidabilty . . .Thankyou So~muchattachicon.gifma''am sir.gif

p.s., and we got to see her nearly everytime, on the old T.V.1~Sports, Saturday afternoon show.,"Sport on ONE"...Glyn Tucker, Phil Leishman..and Des?[not Coppins]

..shortly thereafter, that legendary Radio~Racing show 'was on', SATmorns, with the punting public qued and Glued to it., not th'Least of which for the weekly Joke :)

wasnt bill mcarthy with glyn and phil was it hedley?and then of course the radio racing show with paddy o'donnell.keith haub and peter kelly.

Hedley - somewhere we have got a cassette tape ( remember them ) of that SatMorn show with Paddy O'd and Co because they interviewed the Mrs.    I will try and find it and confirm who the Des was ..if I can find also something to play the bloody tape on ;)

I have a gut feeling it Was Des Coppins tho

Some of the Keith Haub ones were legendary.  I was standing down by the fence when McGinty bolted in his first start.  Did they ever  get the money,  as Collin Jillings had worked him against Open class gallopers and he'd beaten them.  But the call went " McGinty, bolts in, he's no Goat this bloke " There was another with Andretti   " Ritchie Marsh turns around and looks for McGinty,  and boy he's right on your tail "   "  McGinty waltzes in,  he looks up at me, winks and says where's Beaufort Lass Haubie ?  " was another . Really added colour.

There was one in Melbourne, but can't remember the caller.  Some horse got tailed by a mile and the commentator went "  He'll be coming in after dark, hope he has headlights. Actually we might have to send the backtrackers out to find 'em "

I reckon the Maori Boy with the guitar is not bad either. I met George at the pub in Thames one day on my way up the Coromandel.

Top Bloke...I miss those old sport on one antics ... Glyn tucker ,Phil Leishman etc... Hedley.  

At least George has a sense of Humour..eh.

I like those racing bloopers Hedley,

I am sure I was at Addington when the hail tumbled in the early 80s, If i remember right the race was for 2yo trotters, I am sure Zebec was the horse that won.

That call on Stanley Rio didnt sound like Reon, but thinking back, the quality of calls overseas was pretty poor, so Reon it must have been.

I think Barry Holland is the guy you were thinking of Headley. He co=hosted a lot of TVNZ stuff including the cringeworthy "Toptown" 

I recall listening to the radio racing show on Saturday mornings 30 odd years ago. Why did that show stop with such a winning formula? I never felt we had saturation from the people involved or ego's bigger than the ocean. Now days some of the callers / presenters VERY keen on themselves and sound of their own voice. Convinced they are rock stars that the world couldn't possibly function without. Calling meetings in different codes all over NZ day after night after day is a turn off for me. 

I think Barry Holland is the guy you were thinking of Headley. He co=hosted a lot of TVNZ stuff including the cringeworthy "Toptown" 

I recall listening to the radio racing show on Saturday mornings 30 odd years ago. Why did that show stop with such a winning formula? I never felt we had saturation from the people involved or ego's bigger than the ocean. Now days some of the callers / presenters VERY keen on themselves and sound of their own voice. Convinced they are rock stars that the world couldn't possibly function without. Calling meetings in different codes all over NZ day after night after day is a turn off for me. 

I don,t think they get a choice ,...might be wrong...just doing what the boss tells them. Like it or lump it.

I think Barry Holland is the guy you were thinking of Hedley. He co=hosted a lot of TVNZ stuff including the cringeworthy "Toptown" 

..Bingo!

..well i got the surname right at least :)

..and i couldn't've worded the rest of your post..better ;)

There have been some great lines used by commentators over the years such as:

Tony Lee:  "And the dream bursts into reality."

Bill Collins:  "Bonecrusher races into equine immortality."

Reon Murtha:  "In a galaxy of stars, he's the brightest of all."

David Raphael:  "The horse of Hong Kong comes after the mare of the world."

Keith Haub:   "And McGinty looked up at me and winked and said, where's Beaufort Lass Haubie."

Bill Collins:   "Kingston Town can't win."

Darryn Tyquin:  "He's the biggest boilover since Polly put the kettle on."

etc etc

But a couple of classics:

Stewart Machin describing jockey Tony McCoy checking his big lead:

"Tony has a quick look between his legs and likes what he sees"

Bill Cherry calling a close finish between two horse, one owned by Bert Crooks and the other he raced in partnership with his wife.:

"And Bert Crooks has done his wife right on the line." 

stick to the topic in future you wally,,,rdytdy...some of us living creatures still go to the library for real documented information

Bumping up as a response to portfolio's thread...

I am also sure I read about Mike's retirement from commentating too....

Good effort on finding this Von...... I thought he had given up also.

Maybe they should bring Reon back.....he would be a far better option with his eyes closed!